leggylassnewbie
13 posts

Posted:
Is there anyone in Norfolk(UK) who can help an old lady tongue learn the weave...ive tried and failed..alot....butterfly, fine...angel wings..yep...hip reels, shoulder reels...ok with the odd thwack but i cannot weave frown my brain refuses to co-ordinate with my fingers and no amount of video clip watching is helping! More than willing to make endless cups of tea(i am old!) for anyone who'd like to make a new friend!
weavesmiley

Turn out the lights and lets glow...

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Tea? wow

I'm in south norfolk and willing to help. I'm not great at poi but i can do the 2 and 3 beat weave.

Where are you? PM me if you wanna talk more.

Sym

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

poiromaniacBRONZE Member
97 posts

Posted:
hey u must be getting grrrrr by not being able to clinch the move, its hard to explain, just do the sideways figure 8 and the get one hand to follow the other, once you get that you can bring hands closed together and get funky moves and extra beats and turns etc. lemme know how you go, weavesmiley

* people who dont like cats were probably mice in an earlier life *

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Righty-ho. No chance of me going to Norfolk, as I get scared if i spend too long out of Cornwall.

I suggest looking here, or here.

Best of luck.

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I managed to unlearn the weave after seeing both of those! Took me a while to get it again!

Just shows how I learn, in person is far better I think.

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Heh. Person to person is much better. Although I think i learned the 2-beat from the HoP video.

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

leggylassnewbie
13 posts

Posted:
Exactly, I want someone who will say"what on earth are you doing you mad unco-ordinated old lady" Ive watched most of the online vids available..I even got the book...and still.."whack"
Ive now got the hang of take outs and I can butterfly horizontally over my head..but STILL cant weave frown very frustrating!
I will not give up biggrin
weavesmiley

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
leggylass: took me six months to get that stupid move....everyone else got it within a week or two but I just could not figure it out. I went out to a park one night with glow poi and twirled by myself and just stopped thinking about it and low and behold I got it....I was so excited a started jumping up and down and everyone thought I was a nut case.

So I guess what I am trying to say is don't give up on it, just keep trying, cause eventually you will get it and then wonder why you couldn't get it before just like moi!

You are certainly not alone in finding the weave hard to pick up.

minimaniacThe Ladiees Man
360 posts

Posted:
ive only just started spinning last week and i just couldn't get how to spin the weave, but i fould just sit and watch someone spin it slowly and just watch thier hands and also how the poi moves until you think you have it. i also find if you just put on some music and be on your own it is a lot easier to learn. like i said ive been spinning for about 8 days and i 3 of them was learning to weave, but once you got that its great as your found the basics and now you can play!

stick in there and you will get better and better!

I'm going to leave the army and run away to the circus

if not i will just become a MI5 agent !!!

leggylassnewbie
13 posts

Posted:
This is part of my problem..hence the offer of tea and at this rate maybe even cake...id like to physically watch someone do it close up. I can do quite a few other things but without the weave Im stuck! I always do it with music on...can't beat a good bit of hard hard house weavesmiley
Maybe Im just... frown too ubbcrying OLD!!
But Im still not giving up
hehe

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
The offer is still open...

Psycho_lemmingSILVER Member
Running hippy spinning lemming
15 posts

Posted:
wave

dont give up hug if i get home before you have got it (which i'm sure i wont) i'll be happy to show you....

... i'm not returning to the UK til the summer tho!

keep practising
take care
biggrin

Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering...

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
You are never too old.

(how old are you anyway?)

There are loads of people on here how should already be pushing up the daisies.

hug

kiss

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
i made a thread. its prolly a few pages deep in the poi moves section by now. not sure if it will help with the three tho...

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

leggylassnewbie
13 posts

Posted:
Im 37...and a mum to a teenager who thinks poi is cool! Tho she seems to have as much co-ordination as me! Maybe its a family trait eek

The oven is on...the cakes are baking...the kettles boiled..now all I need is a shiny new friend to help!!! hug

*looks to see if theres a graemlin of someone getting hit by poi* weavesmiley

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
37??

You're only young...

Look at C@ntus wink

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Written by: Unsaturated Carpets Of Freedom

You are never too old.

(how old are you anyway?)

There are loads of people on here how should already be pushing up the daisies.

hug

kiss

ucof i won't have you talk about vanize like that! spank wink

i concur, you are never too old. it IS possible to teach an old dog new tricks, it just takes a little longer.

i'm 34, it usually takes me ages to nail a new trick, and even longer before my brain actually understands what it is i'm doing.

but i taught my mam poi and she's 56! granted, she hasn't nailed the weave yet, but she can manage a fairly decent corkscrew, windmill and a few other butterfly variations.

it just takes patience, perseverance and practise..... lots of practise

hang in there girl, it'll all come together.....

hug

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
Since you don't have an intro thread yet leggylass I just wanted to say I think its so cool that your learning to spin. Did you start to spin because your kid got interested in it? If you did then I say you have one lucky kid. My parents jusr think I'm weird and don't pay much attention to my spinning. It sucks but hey its not like I'm gonna stop anytime soon.

Peace, Love, Circles

leggylassnewbie
13 posts

Posted:
I started to spin cos I saw someone at a rave doing it and thought clap I want to do that! ( And yes I like all night parties) cool
My daughter tried it after I started to get better at it..it looks great under UV light!! But being 15 she doesnt always stick with things!! Like me if she hears loud music she tends to pick them up weavesmiley
Im still trying...still tangling and hitting myself...but not giving up...I promised myself some glow poi if I get the weave!!! Even mums like toys bounce

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
Thats awesome...

Peace, Love, Circles

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
I learnt almost everything off of this website. Except 4/5 bt corkscrew/windmill.
Erm, and behind the back weave too. All the basics (well, almost all of what I know) I learnt from the website I've already expressed my gratitude but thank you once again Malcolm and HoP'sters!!!

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Written by: leggylass

Im 37...and a mum to a teenager who thinks poi is cool! Tho she seems to have as much co-ordination as me! Maybe its a family trait eek

2 years younger than my mummy biggrin I wish she was cool like you and did poi >.<
Practice practice practice and get lots of different people to show and explain it to you, ppl like to explain things differnetly and you might find one way clicks and you go 'ooooooh yeh how was i so silly not to get that ubbloco'
Another excuse to meet up with groovy HoPereses

Aimz xxx hug

360 posts

Posted:
hey leggylass i will be back in 3 weeks so unless you pick up how to do the weave i can show you, im not that good but i can do it. i have some glow poi i will bring them with me so you can see what there like!

just stick in there, you will get it. try the movies on this site as it does help.

once you pick up 3 beat weave you can do lots more stuff, plus weaves look cool.

Filthy-Ralphmember
66 posts

Posted:
i learnt beat using a very simple method. i closed my eyes.

do it slowly and you wont hurt yourself but with your eyes closed you will concentrate more and not let yourself be distracted by things around you

If hope can grow from dirt like me.....It can be done.

leggylassnewbie
13 posts

Posted:
bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2
I can do it!!!!!!!!
weavesmiley weavesmiley weavesmiley weavesmiley weavesmiley weavesmiley weavesmiley
I did a "durbs" and looked at every one, followed some of the links, found one especially helpful WooHoo
and today it just happended so...... thankx thankx thankx for everyones help even tho I never got to make anyone a cuppa or even bake a cake!
PS. My mummy has got me glo poi for xmas, even 37 yr olds get toys biggrin

360 posts

Posted:
hey how was you christmas and new year? i was spinning fire with my girlfriend in the back garden whilst my family was watching. i took me 8 hours to drive to and from swindon in a day to pick her up! was good fun, so you up for going for a spin? are you coming to falmouth?
well done on getting the weave you got any more new tricks mastered?

leggylassnewbie
13 posts

Posted:
Over xmas I was banned from poi-ing in the house(by my children!)...after removing a dangly spangly thing from the roof!! But I glowed xmas evening(thanks mom!) in the garden whilst listening to music(mp3 player, thanks boyfriend!) Now back in mum routine so I can play, no idea what the moves I can do are called...is tangle a move!??! But I can weave backwards as long as my eyes are shut!! Sounds like you had fun biggrin