Forums > Social Discussion > how many Hoppers fire perform for a living, full or part time?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
morning.

was just wondering about this recently, as HoP has grown massively over the last two years(i joined under a different name almost exactly 2 years ago as member 1555)

so: if you fire dance or perform with fiery arts for a living could you post here or pm me?

thanks most kindly
Rob(full time fiery)

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Hmm, but I don't think us "Bloody Brits" umm can take out US insurance for spinning in the UK...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
Me & Bams perform part time smile

But I have a feeling you *might* already know that wink

Afternoon smooches kiss kiss

hug2

Live well, love much, laugh often...

Official O.B.E.S.E. cheerleader

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
smoochery right back at you.
kiss

when you going to reply young lady?

who else works with you guys(apart from diz and chad)?

The Phyreflyjourneyman
81 posts

Posted:
I am a full time performer & the troupe that I started began performing in July of this year. Despite the fact that I have had a few mishaps (with unsavy performers) & what not, things are goin great. I can say that I rarely perform in my home town, but I commonly do performances out of town.

fire is the light that shines in all of us. Be sure your light shines brightly wherever you go.

hadezBRONZE Member
44 posts

Posted:
Found out the insurance is through Nationwide it doesnt give the smae 2M coverage of more expensive insurance, but it is adequate for small public performance. Maybe not on the scale that your used to with 'burnt toast', Durbs. But you never know they might be worth checking out.

andythepoiaddict
508 posts

Posted:
i'm 37 n getting on a bit hehe but i spent my 20s in a performing duo called "wotchyoo laffin at?" (during street performances when ( IF!!!! ) our audience laughed we stopped whatever we were doing and sang ..."what you laughing at...?" to the tune of what's new pussy cat and the audience ( most times ) would shout back " you...oooh oooh oooh ooh ohh" and as any comedy street entertainer knows, more noise the crowd makes, the nosier everyone gets, hehe. We mostly juggled, and did balances and cigar boxes and other circus stuff but a small part of our act involved me fire juggling/eating/breathing. Was fun, but christ I don't think i'd have spent 10 years fire breathing if I knew then what I know now!

these days...mostly for fun with odd gig thrown in for old times sake.

It's smashing to be back x

CatalystSILVER Member
103 posts

Posted:
Hello all....I preform with a small group in the states. We are just getting started, and usually take any gigs that we can get now.....We are also dealing with the insurance issue, and there are not many places that carry it (that I know of ) over here....we just wing it, and...well, I'm assuming that if a puplic place/venue hires you....that their liability insurance would cover, as they are actually the ones in control of the event? Let me know if I'm wrong......

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
Written by: bluecat

smoochery right back at you.
kiss

when you going to reply young lady?

who else works with you guys(apart from diz and chad)?

wave kiss

In Carpe Ignem there's me, Bams, Diz, Chad, DSads, Cam & Kevin. 2 girls and 5 boys - I like that ratio! biggrin

hug2

Live well, love much, laugh often...

Official O.B.E.S.E. cheerleader

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Written by: BrandyH

Hello all....I preform with a small group in the states. We are just getting started, and usually take any gigs that we can get now.....We are also dealing with the insurance issue, and there are not many places that carry it (that I know of ) over here....we just wing it, and...well, I'm assuming that if a puplic place/venue hires you....that their liability insurance would cover, as they are actually the ones in control of the event? Let me know if I'm wrong......

Wrong! And that is a big wrong that alot of people make. Unless specifically written out in your contract that the venue insurance covers you and that they hold you indemnible of any possible damages what can happen in an incident is this....

You are spinning. Something goes wrong and a fire happens or someone gets hurt. The audience/workers/etc. sue the club and can also place a civil suit against you, *and* the club can also come back and sue you to recoup damages not only directly to their venue but also to recoup costs from any litigation happening from the audience member suing them. This is why you need the insurance, to protect you in these cases.

The liability of most venues covers if someone spills water on the floor and you slip and fall in it. If the hibachi chef knife flies and hits you. If a floorboard pops up, is not repaired and you trip on it and break something. These are general hazards of operation, and are part of maintainence of a venue.

Your show, however, is not part of general hazards umbrella and therefore needs to be specifically expressed in writing that you are covered, or better yet, that you have your own to protect in such instances.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

CatalystSILVER Member
103 posts

Posted:
oooohhhhh.....thanks, I guess I was misinformed frown frown I just assumed that if a venue hires you, they take on the responsibility of making sure that everything was covered, because they were the ones putting on the event in the first place...Like If they advertise that you will be there......sucky.....the only place that I can find in the states is some lamo clown insurance that runs on a contract year, and is not pro-rated.....

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
sorry bluecat - been flat out - I perform on a semi irregular part time basis - pretty choosy about the gigs I do

bairie fenlord high king of swingers *(now defunct)**(but will rise again ! !)*
165 posts

Posted:
Hey rob, how u goin ?
I do fire shows and stilts sometimes, but now live in australia so have to start again !!!
whats the go with insurance here in the land of oz anyone ???

fly fairies, fly high, fly wide and take no prisoners !!!!!!

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
hey don't forget me!!
fire perform? or just perform?
fire, i'd say less than part time on average, sometimes full time; but i teach, belly dance, and perform in other ways (glow, stilts, drumming, etc.) full time. and i refurnish pianos once in a while for extra cash, but i rarely need to. i have a very frugal lifestyle, all i buy is tequila, herbs, weapons, and food.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

burncrispynewbie
17 posts

Posted:
parttime-Leader of troupe in my hometown. A true labor of love & I still gotta keep my day job.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
thanks pele, i was going to write alost exactly that hug2

not bad ben, hows oz? where exactly are ya? if anywhere near newcastle/sydney get in touch with steve from tepooka who's just moved back over there and will be putting stuff together.

not forgotten arashi hug my ratio is pretty similar, i seem to get booked more for juggling and contact these days, with the occasional fiery thing thrown in....

it's ALWAYS a labour of love. otherwise you give up the work to let it be fun again. i can think of loads who've done that....

smiles
R

(waves at all others wave)

bairie fenlord high king of swingers *(now defunct)**(but will rise again ! !)*
165 posts

Posted:
hooray for cyber networking ! rob u are a god xxx.
will be moving from wollongong to sydney fairy soon ! do you have the contact info for this lovely man ??
as to how oz is ? wonderbra dearman, no stinky squats, no skip food and lots of sunshine and i get to learn to surf dude !
love n' light
xxx

fly fairies, fly high, fly wide and take no prisoners !!!!!!

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
I was performing part-time, but as of monday i'm a full-time fire performer. Woohoo.

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
Ive been perfroming in some way or another for years but for the past 2 1/2 yrs mainly circus (teaching, performing ect....) best job in the world smile

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
OOhhh looks like this thread got bumped so Mags can tell us the good news! Congratulations Mags, was that a "dumping the day job" revelation of some sort or have you been working up to that for a while?

Well, I can add to this list a bit by dobbing in some other local people... I know of Knoxious and his FlameOzcrew (currently 3 others, not on HoP I think) who do fireshows etc as fulltime work. ( In Europe these days) Bec and Moonpixie ubblove do heaps of course (Over the Moon) and Kyle McLean's moving into a lot of performance..not all fire... and the Carnival of Divine Imagination who are represented on HoP by Funky Wax Puppy. All gorgeous!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

ma'tinaBRONZE Member
multiplex
611 posts

Posted:
I have been performing since last summer, mainly with a bunch of people on different occasions, with fire as well as led, depending on the event.

From festivals, mask/costume balls, parties, birthday parties, weddings, in clubs, on fairs,......just for fun at the see.....etc.

During summer, we even had about two or three performances every weekend!

Now I slowed down a little and look around for new possiblities and places to perform, cause actually Im at the end of my studies and have two other jobs in peto, as well as firedance!!

I dance wherever wanted, on the roof of a skyscraper during a party......in the park,....

hug

tina

- Ho Sa -
kisses & peace & love to beautiful madges
*rever le temps le prendre*

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
We do...
wherever people want us!
:o)

Regards hug

Shu
(Ice-E FyreStorm - Group Manager & Performer)

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
and me. smile

well.. stilts, lately thats me, but hey, thats were the moneys at?! at the moment anyhow.

passing through, this world still lives.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Things have changed since my last post.

I'm now trying to get work for our little fire group here in Belfast, full-time.

It's incredibly difficult since most people have no idea what poi is (hoping to fix that this week) and others go straight to the circus school to hire performers.

This is only a good thing if you've been part of the circus for at least 5 years, can do acrobatics and are close friends with the receptionist (who gives out the gigs).

But, I'm starting from scratch. Contacting event companies, nightclubs etc. The usual.

At the minute, it's about 70% organisation, paperwork and phonecalls, 25% practice, 5% gigs. Puh. rolleyes

smile

Getting to the other side smile

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Written by: Firepoise

At the minute, it's about 70% organisation, paperwork and phonecalls, 25% practice, 5% gigs. Puh. rolleyes

You get 25% to practice? eek
Damn you're lucky! wink

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
Hurrah for this thread!

I've been increasingly tempted by a career in preforming. Lately I've been doing nothing but learning loads of new talents and having a blast at it, so naturally I've considered doing this for a living. Hopefully I'll still enjoy it in a few years time, let alone doing it full time. Thanks everybody for leaving your little gems of wisdom, they've helped.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
Yay for fire performance! I work full time as a fire performer / circus performer ( I think most of you would know that - I've worked with some of you) wink I love it.
My insurance covers me internationally, in au $ it's $408, so it's all farely expensive but definitely a must!
I recommend this career to everyone whos willing to work at it!

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
hey i do acrobatics but im not mates with cow.....Grrrrrrrrrrr she doesnt like me........ but anywho shes never performed in her life, she just likes to feel important

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
hey, cool, i can add myself to this list now.

i am a student during the week, but on the weekends, i don my black pants, black shirt, black hat and pixie jumper (from flynt ubblove ) and become.. *pauses for dramatic music* a street performer. ive now done two shows, in the past few weeks, and we're building up our show so it'll be in full swing before summer.

alot of it is basic magic, juggling, escapology and fire eating / breathing (breathing not done by me) but once we get the appropriate stuff, we'll be doing a sword basket trick, where i climb into a basket, then someone sticks 7 swords through it.

cheers, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

Page: