Page:
RosieMarySILVER Member
102 posts

Posted:
Hi Spinners! I’m feeling rather shy redface about this business of introducing myself as I’m so very ‘green’. I got into poi about a week ago, made my own from a couple of tennis balls the dogs rejected and a pair of nylon knee highs that belonged to my late lamented Mum. I’m working through the online lessons (grateful thanks to HoP staff for these, since at present I don’t know any spinners in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne). Although I’m just getting started, poi is becoming a family affair. I was introduced to it by my son, Mags the Jedi. My eldest grandchild (his daughter Isabelle) can do butterflies and she’s only five years old! Needless to say, I can’t – yet. I’ve got really hooked on reading others’ threads, now I’ve got to come out of the woodwork and introduce myself, so here I am. Or as my customised car number plate says “YER I BE”. I was born in Devon and that’s how we say “here I am” in West Country talk. BTW, I really, really miss West Country cider! beerchug bye

RosieMary
----------------------------
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever" ~ Mahatma Gandhi

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
Hello and welcome to HoP!!!!

wave weavesmiley

Good to see that you finally got around to doing an intro so we can say hi without hi-jacking Mags' diary wink

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Whoo hoo! welcome! welcome wave bounce bounce2

tell us more about yourself!

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Hello again RosieMary wave welcome Good to see you've set up your own intro! biggrin

There's a guy over here from Adelaide, and he'd never EVER even heard of cider in all 24ish years of his life! eek
Is it true they don't have it in Australia??

Let's relight this forum ubblove

RosieMarySILVER Member
102 posts

Posted:
I'm not really surprised an Aussie hasn't heard of cider. They mostly only have Strongbow, but the Apple Isle, Tasmania, does a mildish but quite presentable cider called Mercury. I do know where to get Bulmer's Original on tap right in sunny Melbourne, however. Buy me a pint (yes, they sell it in pints too!) and I'll tell you where. smile

RosieMary
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever" ~ Mahatma Gandhi

RosieMarySILVER Member
102 posts

Posted:
Thanx, Bird. Well, I had to start my own, Mags would have thrown me out else! Unnatural child that he is.

RosieMary

RosieMarySILVER Member
102 posts

Posted:
Bit of background: I’ve traveled the world, or some of it, over the last *hmmmmm* years. Lived in eight countries (nine if you count Northern Ireland) including my birth country of England; worked in six of them, so far. Lived in at least 12 locations in UK mostly south of the Watford Gap, in between moving from country to country. We moved seven times in England before I was six years old so I don’t have much of a sense of belonging anywhere except where I happen to be at the time. I learned to make the best of things wherever I found myself. Of all those countries, I only made a choice about the last one – Australia - the others I was sent to as a camp follower. It’s been good experience ‘cos I get on with lots of different people anywhere anytime and now work in a highly multi-cultural environment which is lovely. Weelll..... you did ask!

RosieMary

meepSILVER Member
344 posts

Posted:
Woohoo, her own post!

Welcome smile

"But what would you do with a brain if you had one?"

Dorothy Gale

RosieMarySILVER Member
102 posts

Posted:
Hey meepette, thanks for coming into my thread too. This HoPping is really friendly. I’ve lurked on several threads and got to recognise some regulars, like Custom Bug, Firepoise, you and others, from their posts. (Thanks for the welcome on Mags’ Diary – gave me the warm and fuzzies!) I’ve got really hooked on reading others’ threads, now I’ve come out of the woodwork and introduced myself. Will HoPping make me a better spinner? ubblol

RosieMary

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Of course it will!! So long as you do lots of reading, watching video's etc but don't ask that Mags lad or he'll just teach you how to pull funny faces while he spins! wink ubblol

RosieMarySILVER Member
102 posts

Posted:
I've got the odd pic of Mags spinning in Cornwall in June, I'll review them for the funny faces. Can't say I noticed at the time but.

My other half is VDub mad. He had a 1300 1973 green VW when we first came to Oz, and then we had an orange Kombi for a while. Great for travelling and camping with two dogs. All other Kombi drivers gave us the peace sign - ahh the nostalgia! biggrin My daughter, Magnus' sister, said we were sad, but she's more adult than I am. wink

RosieMary

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
hello mag's mum... wave

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

RosieMarySILVER Member
102 posts

Posted:
Hi back, duballstar, welcome to my small thread. wavehello

RosieMary

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
He'd better mind his head in here if it's small, he's about 3 metres tall! Honest! He's the only spinner I know who dwarves me smile

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
WOW!! Thats impressive!!
smile

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Yep, see you all think I'm tall but really I'm not. Dubb is tall, taller than trees some say! And that's true that is I made it up myself wink

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
Written by:

Will HoPping make me a better spinner?

probably not - itll just give you an entirely new way to procrastinate wink

welcome! wave hug

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Welcome to HoP! wave

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
Written by: Custom Bug

Dubb is tall, taller than trees some say!

we-ll it depends what kind of tree really... umm i probably look like one though so i can see where the confusion arises smile

hug to bug for being dwarved + hug to mags mum cos she's the first person that's actually welcomed ME to HER intro thread!

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

meepSILVER Member
344 posts

Posted:
Yes, HoP will make you better biggrin It helped me smile

I'm lucky, I'm a person who can learn well from text descriptions. Hopefully you are too.

Lynne (and her cat, who is currently wearing mint choc Frijj - although I'm not sure HOW she managed that!)

"But what would you do with a brain if you had one?"

Dorothy Gale

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Hi Rosiemary! I welcomed you on mags thread but he slapped my wrists for it. Yayness!! Now you have your very own.
welcome and wavehello I hope you have fun. I'm just starting out with poi too. Its very addictive. Good luck. May all your spins be fun and your purple bruises form attractive patterns.

Being Taller than trees isn't hard. I way taller than my bonsai acer tree. Well ok not WAY taller ....... about a foot taller..ish. Yes ok I'm short.... I admit it.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
Gidg bounces in on her pogo stick ... boing ... boing ... boing ...

Hi Rosiemary wave Welcome to Hop!

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
heeelllllo smile

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

RosieMarySILVER Member
102 posts

Posted:
Wow, I went to bed (being an Upside Down Person) and woke up to find messages from Gidg, Skulduggery (I remember your Yayness on Mag's thread - ta) meepette (yes, I can follow text descriptions), duballstar (Dubb), Dentrassi (poi is definitely making me put off things I should be doing!), Bird and Beth. I haven't got long to play/write now as work calls (wish I could be deaf to it but it pays the bills). Also the dogs are nagging for a walk before I go. I was practising last night and got some interesting new bruises to prove it. Talk later. TTFN. sunny

RosieMary

RosieMarySILVER Member
102 posts

Posted:
I was just about to logout when I saw you were there, natural enough as we are on the right side of the hemisphere. Just away now. I'm still trying to crack the Butterfly without bruising! Bye bye

RosieMary

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
So Rosie what's your accent like? Is it some crazy mixed up Cornish/Ozzie/Allsorts accent? Or do you speak like Mags?

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hey there RosieMary,

Welcome to HoP and I'm sure you'll learn lots from the community. biggrin

It's very hard to learn moves from the text description (lots of people on this site like to use that), but there's also videos here and on another firespinning site www.spherculism.com so that you can teach yourself.

It's just a case of lots of practice and by the end of the summer you'll be able to show Mags how to do stuff ubblol

HoP is great for meeting people... as you've seen there are loads of really friendly people about and it won't take you long to bump into some other Melbournites (you can even search for other registered people in your area, then PM them) - and that's the best way to learn weavesmiley

Anyways, it's a beautiful sunny day here in Belfast, and as that doesn't happen too often, I'm away outside to play biggrin

Take care xx

Getting to the other side smile

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Hello wave

Do you like the colour pink? ubbangel

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

RosieMarySILVER Member
102 posts

Posted:
Written by: Custom Bug

So Rosie what's your accent like? Is it some crazy mixed up Cornish/Ozzie/Allsorts accent? Or do you speak like Mags?

Well, I guess my natural accent is Received English, neutral accent. I've done a lot of broadcasting in different countries which makes you listen to the way you speak and in my case irons out regional accents. But I can do most accents of the places in which I've lived - like the West Country, Northern Ireland, Yorkshire (my husband is from Middlesbrough), London (dad was of Cockney stock), South African, and Aussie.

And just how does Mags talk to you, Dunc? I guess he would speak differently to you than to me. His daughters speak very well indeed, not much Cornish accent at all.

BTW, I loved that Geordie post you sent Mags, my husband talks more like that than like southern Yorkshire. What do you sound like?

I'm off to practise my poi some more, I've just worked out how to do the Butterfly (several bruises later) and am feeling well pleased. bounce

RosieMary

RosieMarySILVER Member
102 posts

Posted:
Hi there, Firepoise. Mags has been telling me about you and your busking. You must be really good. I used to know Belfast pretty well, also Lisburn, do you know that town?

You are right about the poi learning. I can't do it from text alone, being a 'visual' type, but the online videos are helpful. I've just worked out the Butterfly and am practising as much as possible. I think I'm going to have to redo my poi, though, as one has stretched more than the other. When I looked, the socks weren't a match so I'll pick out another pair.

Thanx for the new site, I'll look it up. I've been off air for a few days due to pressure of work and domestic stuff taking up time, but I've got this weekend to myself almost so I'll have a go. Everyone on HoP seems very friendly indeed and I will contact people here eventually. I just want to feel I can do a bit by myself first so I don't feel a total dork when I meet the experts. wink bye

RosieMary

RosieMarySILVER Member
102 posts

Posted:
wave Hi there, Pink

Yes, I do like pink and wear it occasionally too. Why do you use the name Pink, is it short for Pink *something*? Whereabouts are you in Surrey? I used to go to school in Esher and know it well. I also have an uncle in Churt near Farnham.
See ya, bye

RosieMary

Page: