• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Double staffs ... need ideas ...

Login/Join to Participate

Akashicflame

Akashicflame

Total posts: 11
Posted:I'm a little lost in knowing what to do with double staffs ... I use long staffs and feel very restricted with 2 ... don't really know what to do with them ... any suggestions ?

the first time I used both staffs I broke my nose .. I KNOW I don't want them that close to my face again *LOL* ...

Ro

rolleyes cool

Duct tape is like the force. It has a dark side and a light side and holds the universe together. The only difference is that "may the force be with you" sounds much better than "may you be covered in duct tape".

Delete Topic

Mr_Jedly
GOLD Member since Jan 2004

Mr_Jedly

Total posts: 195
Posted:i'm sure this has been discussed alot before somewhere, so do a search. :-) that usually helps.
also try all different lengths... you might find you like short ones better & can move with them more... or less chance of hitting yourself :-P
I cant really help in detail cause i don't know any terminology for staffs...
but pretty much anything you can do with a normal staff in one hand, you can do with two staffs in both hands at the same time. - u just have to figure out how :-P

just start off doing normal figure 8's - all directions and planes, then add extra spins into the mix. then start turning & throwing & catching, fingerspinning, crossingover etc... enjoy!

We don't stop playing because we grow old,
We grow old because we stop playing.

Delete

Akashicflame

Akashicflame

Posted:thanks raghkyre smile

I have had a look but unfortunately I don't have as much time as I would like and most of what I found for double staffs involves shorter staffs ... I want to use long ones smile

I shall keep looking smile

Ro

Duct tape is like the force. It has a dark side and a light side and holds the universe together. The only difference is that "may the force be with you" sounds much better than "may you be covered in duct tape".

Delete

Pyrolific
BRONZE Member since Jan 2001

Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium

Total posts: 3289
Posted:there are a few videos with double long staffs that you should download for inspiration.

Anything by Ben-Ja-men or strugz on www.sotonfirespinning.co.uk is bound to be good.

Anything with bluecat / minero / rob on www.poiinthepark.net is also going to inspire the crap out of you.

you will need to join these two sites to download the vids, but membership is free and the vids tell more than....at least 50 moves each smile

If you ever get interested in short staffs, Bender has a nice vid in his picture gallery on this site, Knoxious has a couple on soton, or me (Josh) on Soton.

have fun

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Delete

mech
BRONZE Member since Mar 2017

mech

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 6207
Posted:on a side note, dentrassi is working on some really nice stuff, so hopefully once i go home, ill be inspired to edit down this footage i have of ed, and make it all sweet and nice so that you can see something form what he is working on

he is in a bit of a staff creativity drout area, meaning all the ppl round him seem to be doing more basic staff than he would like, so hes comming out with soime nice stuff from vids, and tech talks....

*as a spinner i have been very spolit, and have seen what i would consider to be some of the nest spinniers in teh world, i think there is 5 left i have to see,josh being one of them, so i am sorry to all the sydney spinnes if i have just offened you*

Step (el-nombrie)

Delete

Dentrassi
GOLD Member since Apr 2003

Dentrassi

ZORT!

Total posts: 3044
Posted:thanx mech hug

there seems to be two messages here.

if you hit yourself, slow things down a bit, try to get the moves and transistions smooth before your speed up.

if your running out of idea. for new stuff, get into some doubles contact. that should keep you busy for a year....

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Delete

flash fire

flash fire

Sporadically Prodigal

Total posts: 2758
Posted:that's okay mech... I don't think I really want to be a "nest spinner" anyway smile

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Delete

musashii

musashii

starring Skippy the green llama

Total posts: 1148
Posted:eek how do you keep your nest from catching??? better have a good safety biggrin

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

Delete

Akashicflame

Akashicflame

Posted:thanks heaps guys ... that should keep me busy for a while smile

I already had a look at Benders's stuff .. or some of it at least ... I like his video's ... unfortunately most the stuff he does is either impossible for a 40 year old mother of 2 teenagers or are for shorter staffs smile

Will have a look at the other vid's as soon as I can ... ta smile

p.s. I only hit myself the once, the very first time I tried doubles *L* it just was a rather powerful hit ...

Delete

bender
GOLD Member since Nov 2001

still can't believe it's not butter

Total posts: 6979
Posted:akashic flame, there was a time in my life not thata very long ago that i was *convinced* that i could never twirl. I have learnt since then that the impossible is just a name i gave to things i couldn't yet work out, and quickly is how things do change!
keep practicing and love n light! peace

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Delete

mech
BRONZE Member since Mar 2017

mech

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 6207
Posted:Written by: flash fire

that's okay mech... I don't think I really want to be a "nest spinner" anyway smile

dam you....*rising fist to sky* DAM YOU DYSLEXIA!

anyways, im back in syd for a few days, so i would like to se ewhat dentrassis doing now.....but yeah fire flash, you are one of the ones i wanna watch, cos i hear you have some secret weapons of mass wowness, hidden in your spinning patterens!

laterdays guys!

Step (el-nombrie)

Delete

Pyrolific

Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium

Total posts: 3289
Posted:Woo is flash gonna show you her secret weapons?!!?

lucky you mech wink

:runs and hides:

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Delete

flash fire

flash fire

Sporadically Prodigal

Total posts: 2758
Posted:run faster Josh wink

Sorry for hijacking thread!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Delete