Forums > Social Discussion > im going to help teach poi and i need YOU to give me suggestions

Login/Join to Participate

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
Bonjour, Hola...

im going to co - teach a poi workshop, the beginners workshop was today(i wasent involved in this one) and they taught basics: at sides, forward, backwards, split spinning at sides, butterfly...you know, that stuff

im going to help out with the intermediate class next sunday and the head teacher asked me if their were anymoves (besides: weave, turns, corkscrew, caseing the sun) that i think we should include

i suggested backwards weave and turns, split direction turns, but she said she thought that was a bit difficult

so if you poi - people have anyideas of moves that are easy to teach/learn, but look good, please let me know

much luv wink ubblove

thank you

Lyra

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
don't make no llama jokes unless you're tap-dancing.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
As with any skills-based learning, I would prepare a 'wishlist' and a 'basics' list of moves.

The basics would be things you feel everyone can get at the end, regardless of interruptions, cat fights amongst pupils, and equipment breaking etc etc.

The wishlist is something to glance at when it's all going well, and push ahead with if it seems right.

Remember that if nmost people have got it, its better to spend more tiem with the one or two that haven't, rather than letting them slip further behind as the rest of you roar ahead.

Another key factor is the calss size, I would seriously restrict it to 8 per tutor, or even less if you can...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
I think less, Charlles.

I teach a poi class, and have had as many as 8 in it at one time. Eight people at varying levels of spinning...it's a challenge to work with each of them. I tended to concentrate more on the beginner students than the advanced ones.

These days, I have three to four students, typically, and can handle four fairly well.

As for moves? For intermediate spinners, I'd say teaching them reverse weave...well reverse everything isn't bad. The sooner they start learning the reverse moves the easier it'll be for them to learn said moves.

Weave turns might be a bit tough if they don't know the weave, but you might be able to show them how to turn from the forward weave to the windmill, a 90 degree turn.

If these folks ultimately want to spin fire, I'd spend time going over safety, as well. It's not spinning, but it is very important that people know how to spin safely.

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
High turn and Low turn are cool for combinations. Simple recoil wraps can be taught easily as long as people understand the concept of perpendicular smile

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

GoodSILVER Member
55 posts

Posted:
I think your list of moves is great! One thing you may want to try is to have the students get a few moves together, then try to walk, go up & down, or wiggle with them! And to try smiling while they spin! Sometimes I think that's as hard as mastering the more "technically" complicated stuff!

take the schneak-tip

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Good has another good point. It took someone asking me "Do you enjoy spinning? If so, then smile. You look so serious out there, we can't tell if you're having a good time."

I started smiling after that, and you know what? It felt like I had even more fun spinning.

Wiggling or walking or going up and down are all good to get people to move...and do something OTHER than stand still when they spin. The sooner you start moving, the easier it'll be to move and dance later.

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
hehe, the last thing were teaching is how to dance with poi, but i might have to change it to how to wiggle with poi

i think were going to have 12 students, one head teacher and one assistant (thats me!)

thanks Good, ill tell them to smile biggrin

im big on turns,(except for tuck turn, which i cant stand) so ill be sure to teach them those, speacking of turns do any of you do turns were each poi goes a different dirrection, so that when you turn you have one hand above your shoulder and one next to your hip? i love this move and its very good for dancing with, but i havent seen many people do it

anyways, that was off topic, thanks for all your suggestions, i think the hardest thing will be simply that some people learn certain moves much faster than others

anyways, its tommorow, so wish me luck ubblol

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes