Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Ado-p's Learning new moves thread...

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
*edit*

so i reckon this thread will hold a record of the new things and stuff im learning along the way, all input of any kind is welcome...

*edit*

*where was I? oh yeah here, The elbow, arm, arm elbow roll*

Its simple really, I cant do it.

I've seen some real nice clips of this move (Thankyou MCP/Glass) but I still seem to be missing somthing fundamental.

So I take the staff in my right hand, bring it accross my body under my extended left elbow and roll. extend left arm and let staff roll onto right arm. Bring staff back towards body on right arm

Now here is the problem, it just stops working there, I think i might be missing an extra beat/spin or something. Or it it could be the position of my wrist. Dont ask me what my wrist is doin, it goes all wonky in a natural reaction to the feeling of the staff falling off when i start bending my right arm on the way back in,

Any ideas?

If I can get this I'll move onto to trying to combine it with a shoulder rool and a turn to get it across my back and other shoulder.

I'm hoping to put up a clip soon, not of what i cant do but of what I can, after six months it's be cool to get some HOP feedback.

Love is the law.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
my apologies mister stick... or is it mister man? smile

there is indeed another turn. the turns and the fishtails happen at more or less the same time too. ive edited the offending article.

congrats on the fishtails. bounce hug

Do I still get a lolly molly?

*shakes pocket to make raisin like noise*

Love is the law.

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
yes, certainly - if that address will work wink

I'm all confused now and the most sticky thing I've got on my desk (BOO for being in work on a Sunday) is a packet of polos frown

can't do contact with polos frown

:sulk:

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
noop, but you can hoop with them, well you could if they were huuuuuge polo's biggrin

it should be a continious 360 turn once the half reverse fishtail starts. and the stick flips over in the transition/hand change from reverse fishtail to forwards fishtail. i think i showed mcp at juggling what i was at. i hadnt thought of eblow rolls at the time though.

am i confusing this even more. i jus did it again to make sure it wasnt just my imagination (read: smoke) last night. it does indeed work.

Love is the law.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I just made three baby sticks with irish aluminium, though being very ill it was hard work. I will name them after the three irish people I know. biggrin

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Yay!!!

biggrin

did you see olives new vids. theres a guy with six sticks and he only has two hands...

smile

Love is the law.

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
Just tried that elbow wrist 1/2 fishtail...... Its a nice move and feels natural. Was the first time i picked up staff since friday caus ejust got up the energy.tried it twice and ran out of power.

Hate being sick!! Got a fever last night and had halucinations that i was spinning.it was scary yet calming at the same time

Grow old but never grow up

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
step away from the stick dec.

loads to show you

we should hook up next weekend

provided your arms havent fallen off

STOP SPINNING FOR A WHILE!!!!

hug

my eblow hurts again also

SO I'VE TAKEN A BREAK!!!

hug

Love is the law.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Written by: mcp

Well the tips I can give you for the pivot are: Obviously coming out of a neck wrap the stick is going to be right on your neck, make sure it stays there, as you don't want it wandering around your shoulder. Halo rolls take place on the back of your neck. This is where the staff must be for a pivot. Not messing around on your shoulder.

Turn on the spot. Stepping backwards into the staff is what I did for a while and not only is it plane breaking, it's going to puch the staff away from you and generally result in fallage of staff or hurtage of you. Turn on the spot and turn FAST... (depending how fast the stick is going) The stick needs some momentum for this trick to work..

nine months later and this finally clicks for me and starts to feel nice.

smile

Written by: Dentrassi

i hear you mcp!

it occurred to me recently that i steve, backspin, and matrix all in the same direction! eek although its much easier learning the second time biggrin

ado - a handy hint with the half steves which helped me enormously - if you stand straight up for the move - its more likely to backspin off the shoulder rather than wrap around the neck, but if you hunch your neck forwards as it first hits the neck its much easier to wrap around the neck half steve style.

cheers!

three and half months later and this finally clicks

smile

so if your new to staff or just frustrated and its tough to keep going... keep at it, do whatever works and do everything that doesnt work.

you'll get it.

Love is the law.

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
I stepped away and will have to for the next few days cause i just physically cant bo it. after reading mcp's quote stuff makes a little bit more sense on the pivoting

Yeah i can come down next week if im alright

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
post deleted temporarily
EDITED_BY: ado-p (1107775006)

Love is the law.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
health deleted temporarily.

Phew, making three sticks was ard. No I have to make another six! bug nuts. Plus I need some names for the long ones. My brain keeps nagging me about the number three and the fact there should be lots of 3 things about with cool names. Triplets, or three people in ancient myths or something but I can't remember any...

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
everyone is ill frown

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
ok since no one has posted in a few days i take it uppon my self to do so smile

Ok things i got solid today biggrin
1) SNES' mmm and got them working with doubles (one doing snes one pinwheel or fishys depending on what happens
2)jeseus biggrin i got a brused head now tho, entering from either front or back
3)sweeps i think is what they are called (frontside snes?) mcp am i right?
and not solid but gettin there double fishys.
and whats more ive found a good new place to practice biggrin

How's every one doin?

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
nice work on the doubles contact...

smile

last week i was workin on fishtails and turns. got some nice 180's and such.

im off the staff for a while though. for the good of my health.

jesus is uber hard. i still have no idea where my body is going with this one. which side are you starting on?

Love is the law.

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
im either starting on the right hand side like goin into a halo and then just turn and turn and turn :P
or if you enter a snes under your left arm, and then rather than do a snes, let it go fowards and then turn and turn and turn some more it seams to work, got it a few times with doubles as well, but then rather than being a propper jesus, it sent down my arm first then on to the other arm then shoulder then back round the back, if that makes sence

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
sounds like it's trident style.

I don't like practising jesus's they be scarey. Especially the back to front transition. All throat moves are scarey thou. frown

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
my adams apple is too big for throat side moves

its huuuuge

smile

have you seen the cube fx trident vid lava

i've got it here somewhere, it rocks!!!

Love is the law.

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
what be trident style? one with 3 vertical points on the frontside?

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
no, what adobe was talking about, cube-fx's trident vid. He does a variant of a jesus with a fire staff and a trident. (Well it's more the bastard offspring of a pivot and a jesus.) He doesn't bother to do a frontside halo roll, he just transfers it between his arms instead. Dozy cube manipulating quiff sporting boy thing that he is.

Plus: Your adams apple isn't all that adobe! If you ain't got gouters, don't complain! And get with the throat side moves... biggrin

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
i'll try to dig it out and stick it up in an email account for you lavalight. its worth it just to see how good you can look when your making planes up as you go long.

there might still be some cube spinning vids up on cubefx dot something

gouters? confused

Love is the law.

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
Nope i havent seen the video, thats why im gettin lost frown

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
when you have a severe lack of iodine and all your glands on your neck swell up cos they be silly like. This is why they add iodine to salt in countries what have goiters problems.

These be the same glands that go nasty in glandular fever presumably. I think they make a special hormone that we need all the time, like human growth hormone of somesuch.

Cube-fx does loads of agonising plane breaking moves. It's like eek to watch.

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
glandular fever, that sucks soooo much frown i had it at christmas, but i did get an appology from the girl that gave it to me the other day :P

humm mcp you wont like my spinning then, bad planes every where!

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

gizmolieonewbie
2 posts

Posted:
grace is second to ability

cool:. :||ELMO||:. :cool

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
hello gizmolieo

smile

Love is the law.

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
goitre is your in your thyroid innit megmog
that's different to you lymph nodes that get all big and nasty when you're ill

I know no stick
but I now know that hoop hurts and is remarkably difficult to do halos with
learn something new etc. etc.

:distant hug: for the poorly ones
smile

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
i learnt the mostest badassest move yesterday.

meg can you describe it?

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
i have been doing a small bit but not much lately. I have a bit of a problem with momentum though. i am doing a halo-neck roll-halo and i can get two in a row but then the staff starts to run out of momentum so can anybody tell me at what point can i put extra momentum into the staff?

Nice work lava, sounds like there going to be something to see in edinburgh.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
yes I can.

Oh okay then, I will.

What you were doing was a horizontal elbow wrap to throat wrap, that went down your body as you turned into an illusion kick, at which point you caught the stick between your legs.

There was another pretty mental variation that you pulled off too, but I forgot it. frown

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
eek

illusion kick?

hug's for the girl with the hurty halo hoop.

it is not a stick molly smile

Love is the law.

Page: ......