Forums > Social Discussion > wee bit of advise for my new business

Login/Join to Participate

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Hey there guys...
I had a major flash of inspiration this morning and I have decided that I am going to start up my own tee shirt business call 'picksee'
I need a wee bit of advise like where would I start?
I am going to design the tee shirts and start by selling them at the markets on the weekend...
I wonder where I would get the tee shirts at wholesale prices?
and I alreday have a shop that will sell them for me too!!

any ideas? confused

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
I've got a friend thats doing a very similar thing i get some advice from him .

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
um anyone? (thanks puk)

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
apply for an abn number, through the ato tax website, even if you arent going to be paying gst if you are under a certain earning bracket, You cant operate a business without one. Also, please find out about copyright laws, and registering your business name, because if you copy anyone elses design thats illegal, and if you are drawing your own designs you want to be legally protected.

You can find information on getting an abn number here: https://www.abr.gov.au/ABR_BC/

and information about setting up a small business and registering a business name here: https://www.business.gov.au/Business+Entry+Point/

not to rain on your parade honey, but this is a hard thing to do if you want to do it properly. I'd advise working for a while to raise some capital. Have a look around at local manufacturing business and find out if they will sell you tshirts at wholesale prices. Have you thought about getting some labels made? also, here's a webpage with information regarding Australian Copyright laws: https://www.copyright.org.au/

Good luck!!!! xoxoxoxxo

Currently on the right side up of the world.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
YAY flynty! thanks!!!
I am going to save and save and I was guinna get an abn
But you have helped so much. Thanks sweetie
!

MeleSILVER Member
A perth girl gone walkabout...
396 posts

Posted:
What about funky business cards maybe?
So that anyone who likes your shirts know how they can get in touch with you for more for themselves or family or friends. Especially if you will be selling them thru misc stalls and won't have a fixed permanent shop somewhere.
Check out a printing place for costs of doing a run of a one hundred maybe to start with, and see how it goes...?

Good luck with you plans, Hope everything goes fabuously! hug

I smile because i have no idea whats going on!! biggrin

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
The BEST advice anyone can ever give you is the most boring one.

Start keeping ALL of your receipts, and put them into a concertina file sorted by month.

Do this for ALL receipts, regardless of whether they are business related or not.

If you don't have your receipts, you may end up making a loss and STILL having to pay tax as you can't claim your expenses, making it look like you made money.

Oh yeah, and record EVERYTHING. Every cash sale, every cancelled order, every kilometre you travel in a vehicle. Trust me on this, get into the habit right now...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Oh, and you don't do jack squat in cash. Going to McDonald's? Charge it. That way, you still have a record if you lose a receipt.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
Hola val!
Hugs and greetings hug
I have a friend doing a bit of funky street retail in your part of the world. I think she is mostly selling her stuff in Brisvegas, not sure if she also goes to the GG but she is very sweet and may be able to give you some tips and or contacts. PMing her email to you now...
Say howdy to Arsn for me
Love & Stuff,
K

Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film