adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I have not got any krill lights myself, but a local twirler I met has used them for some time evidently. His verdict: don't bother. Why? They break. He's had a couple break on him before, and just last night, he showed us a staff he had made with krill lights mounted in little shock-cages at the end to protect them. No luck--he dropped his staff and one broke. Evidently the force of the battery slamming around inside the light is what does it, and there's no obvious way to protect against that.So that's one cool idea shot down. I think something might be possible with EL wire... And there's another local guy who cut open tennis balls, drilled holes in them and mounted a bunch of LEDs in the holes. Pretty cool, but that is also subject to the battery slamming around inside and tearing up the wiring (until he improves the design, which I bet he will).------------------Adam Rice

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
yo adam, sorry for being naive , but what are krill lights?The LED/tennis ball idea sounds cool though.Eery one at my local circus skills club seams to enjoy makin and creating crazy poi and staff. (Including a childs flashing Darth-Maul toy modified into an excellent staff)If anyone has any cool ideas for improvised yet performance worthy poi/staff, or would like to know details about mine or my friends previous "experiments", e-mail me at ...fubar_37@hotmail.com (yes i know the names different, i've just not had time to change it, been doin too much poi!!!!! tongue )Cained-and-Unable.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Do a websearch on it and you'll see. They're these glow-ey tubes that are basically electrical equivalents to glowsticks. They'd be great as replacements for glowsticks since they wouldn't wear out (and you could use rechargeable batteries) but if they break, at $20-30 a pop, they're not worth it.------------------Adam Rice

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
thanx for that Adam...i was anyway not very excited about krill lamps...i think photons are the way forwards!!! i hope they don't break too! check out https://www.photonlight.com/
for more info (if you are buying some make sure you get the model with the on/off switch so that you can have it on continuously while swinging...happy swinging,Simos

roguemember

Posted:
i just got the bladelight from extremeglow.com at US$6.50 each, like them! you can drill a small hole thru the stick in the narrow gap between the battery and the end light to pass a heavy gage wire through to make a loop to tie the rope to (i used a dremel tool and the smallest bit in a standard drill bit index) and wrapped a piece of black electrical tape around the battery door to keep it from flying apart.the thing i really hate about glow sticks is throwing them in the trash. what IS that stuff?

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
i have to say that the bladelights rogue mentioned do look quite attractive as they are cheap as well! i might give them a try and let you know!happy swinging,Simos

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
oh and btw Rogue smile... this is what's in the glowsticks:'The ampoule contains a solution of hydrogen peroxide (a form of it is used as a topical anti-infective) dissolved in phthalic ester. The chemical that surrounds the glass ampoule is a phenyl oxalate ester along with the appropriate dye.'I know it sounds horrible but it's actually not toxic - i wouldn't worry too much about throwing them away if i were you; the fact that they glow doesn't mean they are nasty chemicals - then again i am taking their word for it! you can always empty the content and then recycle the plastic anyway... smilehappy swinging,Simos

tkerbymember
30 posts

Posted:
HiI've got a couple of Krills and they are ok. I've not had them break yet but you cant spin fast. The design has the battery spring in the base of the lamp so when you spin fast the battery pushes against the spring and cuts the solid connection point by the attatchment point turning the light off! If only they had made it the other way round like most cheap torches are. I reckon I'll be replacing the springs for somethingmore heavy duty and putting something round the battery so it cant hit and damage the panel inside. Must get hold of some EL wire too for going down my chains!Tim

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
That is SO cool Malcolm - what a good idea! i can't wait to get the 'Bladespinner' grini might email you or post here for more info on LED circuits...happy swinging,Simos