Forums > Other Toys > firebreathing with poi

Login/Join to Participate

DigitaLightBRONZE Member
4 posts

Posted:
New to here so not sure if this has been posted before, but I've been experimenting with doing the one handed butterfly with fire poi and firebreathing through the peak of the rotation. Sadly my timing sucks at the moment and the poi only catch a tiny bit of the paraffin. My friends think it's a little crazy....and it does require one of them passing me the paraffin, but anyways. I thought I'd post the idea here. When my timing has improved I'll post a vid of it.

funkenSILVER Member
journeyman
92 posts

Posted:
i have done that to and it works great
practise your timing

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I prefer FORWARDS buzzsaws.

Backwards is bad as the poi will come up against the parafin and smack it straight at your face and the fuel still inside your mouth.

And that is bad.

Foraumember
81 posts

Posted:
Hm, great stuff to think about.
Personally I don't really like the idea of a buzzsaw, because it still has swining poi.
But maybe it's better than what I think of it. smile

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
yeah it does work quite well.
the buzzsaw one sounds reall good too (ta ucof)
i have found that an upwards butterfly, which you then serarate so that on the upwards swing the poi meet in front of your face (right hand at 9 o'clock left hand at 3 oclock), poi almost hitting each other.
then do your breath, it works and lights up fine . but my breathing is not good enough yet,when the original flame source is removed it kind of peters out i need to get a couple of litres of water and practice my aspiration, more.
it is my aim to do the butterfly. drop to your knees bend right over backwards till your head is on the floor, the butterfly almost on your chest. then do the breath vertically upwards off the deck.
but not yet.
not till i can confidently breath water through unlit poi.
be safe.
smit

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
you really shouldnt be trying to do a blow like this when you cant hold a decent column
practice with water untill you can make a stream that lasts for a good 4 seconds
then practice with out flame, just fuel (wastes parrafin i know but you have to know what your doing) then with flame
what i do is ill have about a shot and a half worth of lamp oil in my mouth while im spinning and as i do body movement along with my meteors (leaps, turns, flips) to blow as i come out of the move most especially if you go from a summersault (sp?) stay on your back as you come out of it then do a blow upwards
i wont lie its a damn hard trick but once done its worth it
just be safe
always try out a new idea with NO FIRE then gradually move up

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Most people on this forum know the dangers of fire breathing and have made their own choices concerning whether or not to do it.

For any random people who have stumbled across this thread I think it's important to be aware that there are safety issues with breathing so here's some good links to the official HOP article on fire breathing, and a recent thread on some of the medical implications: -

https://www.homeofpoi.com/articles/fire_breathing.htm

[Old link]

Lastly, I'd like to say that one of the most important things when fire breathing is a very good level of mental focus and concentration, obviously these are compromised to some extent when breathing is done in conjunction with another activity, such as spinning.

So be careful, and, if you're new to this, check out the above links.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
*** OFFICIALLY APPLAUDS ONE WHEEL DAVE ***

smile

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Face_NLPLATINUM Member
addict
513 posts

Posted:
Hey Darkpoet,
another person who does a summersault and then firebreathing ubblove ... It is such a cool move to do, and if there is any audience, they will surely love it... I call it the sonic vulcano (sonic is the blue guy with spikes that always makes summersaults :-D). [I like to immediately roll on my knees/one knee and blow fire, it exaggerates the forward direction/speed...]

but for normal firebreathing/poi combinations... I would just stick with the forwards buzzsaw... You need enough concentration for your breath, I don't see a reason for making it more difficult with a butterfly (timing, "aiming") or even one handed butterfly...

wave

|| "Is True Mastery of the Elements But a Dream?" ||

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
Written by: onewheeldave

Lastly, I'd like to say that one of the most important things when fire breathing is a very good level of mental focus and concentration, obviously these are compromised to some extent when breathing is done in conjunction with another activity, such as spinning.

in a way......theres around the distraction...to many i dont think it will make sense but you have to seperate your focus from your body, personally i just let my body do its thing and throw my whole being into what i do, i trust my body and it just does its own thing to the music, when doing blows in conjuncture w\spinning it becomes a balance between thought and movement to the point where i dont really think about movement, i just do

i completely agree w\dave on this most shouldnt try it unless you have total control over your body and mind
cause guess what...its not safe no mattter what precautions you take

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!