Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Burning Man: 8/30 - 9/6 Black Rock City, Nevada

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
Easy question: wink

Who's going!? biggrin peace

*gasp* for those who don't know, Burning man is a huge festival which started of from very humble beginings in 1986 on Baker Beach, San Francisco with 20 people attending.

It rapidly grew and since 1991 has taken place in Black Rock Desert, nevada on the western US. coast.

Last years celebrations saw over 30,586 people attend from all over the world. eek

Burning man is one of the most exciting events in the entire festival calender, with live music, hundreds of fire performers from all over, art cars, naked pixies, dust storms, booze, themed villages and magic times.

..... biggrinAnd generally supertanker sized buckets of fun biggrin.....

Dates are 30 Aug to 6th Sep.

Further info can be got from here--

Code:
https://www.burningman.com/whatisburningman/

Come with us, Step up a level and take a look around.....

Martin

EDITED_BY: flash fire (1083271767)

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I'll be sending them some buisness for sure wink

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I know this is a little ahead of schedule, but I just HAVE to let you guys know that I'll be joining you on the playa in 2005, all the way from Oz, along with Dangerboy (for those that remember him).

Can't wait.... It's only another year.. I'm gonna burst before that time goes by!

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
YAAAAAY!

you better not be teasing us...

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

fireninjamember
34 posts

Posted:
I'll be there -- Thursday just after dark [I assume by the man]

The meeting was fun last year, it should be even better this year.

See you out there,

-david

a.k.a. fireninja
EDITED_BY: fireninja (1092942735)

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
The man burns in 12 days and I'm leaving in 4 bounce bounce2 devil sunny

Fire ninja were meeting at about the 6:00 position at the man depending on art locations and space.

Cody Canon

GoodSILVER Member
55 posts

Posted:
Git Ready! Git Ready! We're at Camp Luvey Duvey, a suburb of the Liquid Diet Lounge, home of more than 4 fire spinners(?) . Our *new* location this year is around 4:30 and Mars. We have a mirror-coveread Art Car that is GREAT to fire-spin next to, super-sparkly. Welcome, HoPpErS! Looking forward to meeting youse guys in person!

take the schneak-tip

rbmnycBRONZE Member
lurker
194 posts

Posted:
I leave in 5 days.

Camping at Greeters' Camp - 5:30 & Mercury - but will be doing LOTS of roaming.

see you playa-side. If not before, then definitely Thursday evening at the man!!

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
I leave (for San Francisco) the day after tomorrow. Still don't know how myself and Martin (Squarefish) are getting to Burning man though...do any of you lovely people know of anyone with space in a car/bus/flying machine/whatever going from San Francisco to Burning Man, who could help out two stranded Irish poiers?

We'll ply you with free alcohol at the Paddy Mirage beerchug

Thanks,

Helen hug

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

robertsBRONZE Member
91 posts

Posted:
4 days, 4 days to long. i cant wait. ill be staying at the black rock burners hostel camp. anyone else camping there? Rosmerta you may be able to find some people to give you and your mate a lift from san fran on the e-playa. im sure there will be loads coming from there. you had better post a notice soon though, its crunch time. look forward to seeing you all. oh, almost forgot. what do you all carry your fuel in while walking around on the playa? im tring to figure out what would be easy to carry, yet hold enough fuel, all while having a wide enough mouth to fit my wicks in. any suggestions?

if anyone orders Merlot, i'm leaving.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Roberts stop by home depot and get a paint can They sell them unmarked and clean. Also buy the little bottle/paint can opener. You can store your fuel in the can, pop the lid when you need fuel and pound it down when your done. The paint can has a handy handle you can attach to your backpack (carabeener) Tie a string to the opener so you don't loose it. biggrin

Another option I use is the REI fuel containers. They have a little hole in the screwcap so you can unscrew it half way and have a controlled stream to pour over your wicks. Less fuel, can't dip, but it's an option

Just finished mixing Boric Acid and Denatured Alcohol for my green flamed contact juggling ball. I also tried table salt and Deantured Alcohol and it's actually pretty neat. You get glowstick orange for about a minute then it turns into normal flame.

Got to work on the secret project, looks like I'll finish it on the playa. wink

Cody Canon

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
I use a small ammunition can. It seals up nicely for transport, but is wide enough to dip with. Only problem is that it's a bit heavy.

Orbit

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
~*~*~*~
Orbit's Guide to Fire Spinning at Burning Man 2004
Version 0.8
~*~*~*~

I've compiled a list of Fire Spinning shows and jams scheduled at Burning Man this year. I know there are a million things happening on the playa, and it seems silly to make a schedule, but this will give you a concise list if you're looking for fire shows. Please contact me if you have any additions/changes to this list. I will send out an updated version in a few days that incorporates any additional information. I'll also post a copy of this at the Fire Conclave Convergence.

I'm also encouraging everyone to come spin at Kidsville for the kids on Tuesday, and Hookahdome on Wednesday night where I'll be hosting a jam. And come by the Winking Lotus camp and say hello! Look for the big orange dome with a tower at 5:45 and Esplanade.

Orbit
orbit (et) wackyfunstuff (daht) com

~*~*~*~

* Events fire spinners can participate in are marked with an asterisk.

MONDAY
------
8pm
Cirque de Flambe @ Circque de Flambe camp
4:30 and Esplanade
https://www.cirquedeflambe.com/

TUESDAY
-------
Dusk
*Kidsville
Come spin for the kids of Kidsville!

Dusk
*Opening party for "Deeper"
https://www.burningman.com/themecamps_installations/installations/04_art_theme3.html#deeper

8pm

WEDNESDAY
---------
Dusk
Pyrosutra @ Center Camp Cauldron

8pm

8:30pm
Temple of Poi @ Opulent Temple of Venus
https://www.templeofpoi.com

10pm
*Fire Jam @ Hookahdome
4:00 and Esplanande
Hosted by Orbit - a great venue for fire spinners to jam to some great music and show off some skills

11:15pm
*Procession to the Pagoda Burn
from center camp to 9:00, then to the Pagoda

Midnight
*The Pagoda burns

THURSDAY
--------
7pm
Temple of Poi @ Starlight Express
5:00 & Mercury

Dusk
Infinite Kaos @ Center Camp Cauldron

Dusk
* Home of Poi gathering @ The Man

9pm
*The Enwhitenment @ Fire Muse Circus Camp
Center Camp and 9:30 (on center camp's "clock")
come dressed in white!

11pm
*Hot Sex @ Camp "...and then there's only LOVE."
8:00 and Mercury
sexy fire performance competition
Hosted by Jennifer Steele
https://www.jennifersteele.com/hotsex.htm

FRIDAY
------
late (after Conclave rehearsals)
Temple of Poi @ Sol System
10:00 and Esplanade

SATURDAY
--------

9pm
something about a man burning...

1/2 hour after the man falls
Mutaytor farewell show behind Temple of Stars

Midnight
Rise and Return @ Burning Earth

~*~*~*~

PLACES:
------
Center Camp
Noonish Juggling every day at 12:30

Convergence Villa

Thundercamp
2:30 and Esplanade
https://www.defever.com/thundercamp2004/

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I'm outta here, see yall on the playa. Drive safe biggrin

Cody Canon

robertsBRONZE Member
91 posts

Posted:
im leaving. see you all on the playa. safe travels.

Amazonmember
9 posts

Posted:
I'll be there! Come by C4 camp for Tuesday nights Pussy party and parade...rumours are that if you are a cat that night, Animal control might just get you! Woohoo!
We have a burn barrel out front and I expect to be spinning most nights. See you on the playa.......
Amazon

Maximus Egomember
10 posts

Posted:
Woo-hoo! Hey y'all,
I'm leaving in a few hours. Remember last year's HoP get together was so dark that even people who knew each other like Arashi and myself couldn't find each other?
Maybe it will work out better this year.
See you on the Playa,
Maximus Ego

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
ubbcrying

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Leaving now. I'll be at camp Skullf*ck at 8:00 and Mercury. And I wouldn't miss the Thursday HOP gathering if (heaven forbid) the Man himself went up early!

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Well, it appears the playa is internet capable this year. I've got friends e-mailing right now from center camp. Seems the weather is nice this year...cold at night, and in the low 90's during the day. Hope all you Hopper's lucky enough to be out there are having a blast...wishing I could be there with you.

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Doesn't it make you envious, sprites, that our friends send us such taunting emails?????

Soooo wish I were there.

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
yes...I wish I was there too...Damn americans only getting 2 weeks vacation each year...I almost wish they hadn't sent them, cuz now I want to be there so much more...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Well, "Ow" and I were the only ones who showed up at the gathering.

Cody probably had about six different people tell him that I said "Hi."

And I had an INCREDIBLE time...except for the fact that the dust this year was something insane and I have the worst case of playa foot ever. frown

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

robertsBRONZE Member
91 posts

Posted:
oy, i showed up at the gathering. it was nice to meet at least some HoPers. i didnt get to spin as much as i would have liked this year. i guess the wind was a large factor. so all and all im going home with a burnt and black eye, a mild sunburn that should turn into a nice tan, more playa dust that i care to think about, and loads of great memorys. a quick note for all of you in the KY, IN, OH areas. i think we'll be getting some decent regional burns soon. give it a month or so and check the e-playa for more info. im looking forward to finding out how everyones burn went.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Sorry I missed the HOP gathering. I got there late and all that was left was a bunch of drummers. Lightning I seemed to miss you at every event. I look just like my brother with short hair. Lots of great people with great attitudes this year. There were only a few check in dramas. The friday night show me was pretty cool. With all the fire spinners there I jus had to shout " Hey everybody I spin fire..... Why don't you look impressed" It was great.

The pulse choriography actually worked well for the first round and had a great effect. After that I think there was a radio delay that threw off the helmsmen. I think the best part of the choriography was the fact that the audience got used to the choriograophy and distance and when the ZAGA or chaos hit it really hit. I sprinted up to the crowd screaming and spinning and scared the hell out of them. They loved it. We were at about 2:30
When the man went up in fireworks and flame I proposed to my girlfrend biggrin I done good.

I didn't spin very much either this year. I was wearing white goggles because my isolated forward weve drys out my contacts if you know what I mean wink

Orbit Kidsville was a blast as always. Thank you for Organizing it this year. I tried to get to the winking lotus but that was durring a dust storm and you looked closed.

If you did see me spin I hope I was able to teach you something, I know I learned from everyone I watched. Skunk you always show me the future.

If you or your safety people were at any of the manditory fire safety meetings, you got to put me or my brother out for practice. I enjoyed challenging you by throwing my props at you or running away ubblol

And I come home to find my fire props picture on the first page. Pretty cool guys.

Cody Canon

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Distinct lack of fire spinning this year frown Either that, or my head just wasn't in the right place to find it biggrin A great week, as before.

Nice to meet those of you that turned up at the gathering (Lightning, roberts and aardvark I think), pity there weren't a few more but at least we managed a couple of burns before the cold and the dust forced us to retreat.

Didn't really think too much of the choreographed show, I'm afraid. Went on waaay to long, even non-firey types were getting a bit bored of it all by the end. Freestyling was good, tho. Cody, I'm pretty sure I saw you there. I was sitting right at 2:30. and I remember a few people charging straight at us all. You scared the [censored] out of us. Good job!

Now all I have to contemplate is recovering, getting home and cleaning that bloody dust of all my gear. It's gonna take weeks.

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
hehe

hop meetings at BM seem to always peter out. I reckon its because of the radical difference between the world when you actually get to BM and the world you leave behind. Its too full of really interesting stuff to stick to plans you made outside.

I think Katinca and I were the only ones who made the HOp gathering the year we went...

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Ow did you happen to whitness the little issue we had with a firefighter in a silver suit getting up in our face? My group Controlled Burn is known for freakishly huge fire props. Three of my members all went at once and were working the audience and the silver suit idiot just about got himself clobbered. He was way out of line and the audience booed him. I was fueling up at the time and missed it.

I hope you enjoyed our group we all had a blast biggrin

Cody Canon

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
I did see that. i can kind of understand his point, but everyone was getting such a kick out of having insane amounts of fire being spun right over their heads! And that firefighter so nearly took what appeared to be a mammoth rope dart to his head. He would have been seriously messed up had he got any closer!

How big are the wicks your group use, by the way? I use wicks that are normally considered large, and I've seen some pretty huge wicks, but those were something else! Even I was in awe of the light & heat they were giving off!

Great show biggrin thankx

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
The wicks on those balls are just your standard 2", but there covering the ball which is hollow. We lovingly call them the "testies" My performance wicks are each 6 feet of 4" kevlar loosely folded. I think you may have seen the flag. Arguably the largest personal fire spinning tool known. It's 3' by 3.5' of pure wick. Bright and hot but only for a minute. Check out my gallery for some of our tools. biggrin

The performance we do the night of the burn only happens at burningman. We like to say "read your ticket" The performers who spin the testies Chris Briganti and Dave King are professionals and have tones of controll. If you noticed Dave (in the kilt) stopped well away from the crowd, planted himself and got a consistant high swing going. Then he walked forward to the crowd spinning high over them, moved to the side, then backed out never changing his swing untill he was away from the crowd. The fireman was way out of line, and he put the audience in danger by practically attacking our performers. eek

Cody Canon

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I agree with Cody - I mean, look at his avatar for gods sake - those kerosene cannons practically fried thousands of people standing only 20 meters or so from them and no one complained then. like he said - "read you ticket" - you assume all risk of personal injury or death. it is up to the audience to determine if they want to be so close to the show, not some self-appointed moron in a heat resistant suit!

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Page: ...