• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Kyrian

Dreamer

Total posts: 4308
Posted:How much does it cost? More for international students? Will they hurt me? Anyone know anything about citizenship in ur countries? Help Please!!

And on a different note, hwo do you make 20k USD in 3 months?

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Delete Topic

TwirlyVic

TwirlyVic

northern monkey

Total posts: 235
Posted:as a fully paid up member of an english uni trying to get the hell out to austrailia, i dont feel qualified to advertise!!! lol

nahh, fantastic teaching mate and no, no-one will beat you. Unless of course you really act like a foreigner. But to be honest with you, there are more foreign students in my year than natives!!

i know its three times as expensive to study as an international at my uni, but no idea about citizenship/20k i'm afraid...

vic xx

ex-hop-aholic, now inconsistent lurker...

Delete

Tricky

Total posts: 33
Posted:I'm just about to finish my degree @ reading, and it's cost me an absolute shite load. Talking quite a bit over 15,000 (a nice round number) for 3 yrs (I'm too scared to work out the full amount), and I'm a native... No extra charges whacked on top. Don't know wot that is in US $, but either way, it aint cheap!

Living expenses CAN be cheap, it's just that I'm usually out about 4/5 times a week at least, and have champagne taste, with lemonade money! Hence the high expenditure.

One of my mates from Spain is paying over 8,000 a year just for tuition fees . Ouuuch!
Citizenship, I don't know a lot about, as I already am one. Try to find an obscure English relative, or someone, or a company to sponsor you, as it makes it much easier (I've been told by ozzie friends).

Don't let the cost put you off (money ins't everything... you get to meet loads of nice english folk), there are all sorts of scholorships and grants available to you, so that could help out loads

You'll have to try hard to get hurt by students. Generally too pissed to do any damage, may end up with a traffic cone on your head, wearing make-up and only having half your hair (speaking from experience) if you pass out somewhere though... Just watch out for the townies! Nasty buggers!

Good luk with the 20K, I know in the UK, you get a load of if you let a bunch of untrained med students stop your heart to see wot happens, or sell a kidney. I'm just a bit too attached to my body to do that though (I'm quite happy to destroy it myself)! If you find a way that isn't quite as risky, please let me know...

TrickySmile at a stranger!

Delete

Cantus
SILVER Member since Jul 2001

Cantus

Tantamount to fatuity

Total posts: 15965
Posted:Where's Spiral when you need him?

Our (me and spiral) mutual friend from Spain is being paid to study here this year.

"I'll carry this....It's harder to spill a hat" - Chellybean
"...like a rabbit caught in a lighthouse?" - Chellybean

Delete

Ade
SILVER Member since Mar 2001

Are we there yet?

Total posts: 1897
Posted:This is a good link to most of the Australian uni's on the web:

Australian Universities

Delete

Spiral

Spiral

Oolering Man

Total posts: 729
Posted:I'll find out and post it tonight, I dont think she'd be happy if I woke her up now

Delete

Cantus
SILVER Member since Jul 2001

Cantus

Tantamount to fatuity

Total posts: 15965
Posted:Good point.

"I'll carry this....It's harder to spill a hat" - Chellybean
"...like a rabbit caught in a lighthouse?" - Chellybean

Delete

Spiral

Spiral

Oolering Man

Total posts: 729
Posted:maybe you could try looking at websites of the foreign universities you wanted to study at. It would also depend on if you wanted to do your whole degree over here or just do a year through erasmus or something. I dont know if it'll help, but it might be worth a try - and as far as I know the easiest way to get citizenship is to marry a native. I've seen a few weddings that were done for that reason, but theyre a different stories for a different time

Delete

Cassandra

Cassandra

Froggie ... Ribbit !!!

Total posts: 4224
Posted:Hey Kyrian !!! I am so happy that you are at least thinking about this...
I could tell you about France, but the studies would be in French and that's tough, uh ?
I think the best place in Europe to be a student is The Netherlands because they have all sorts of special fares ... free something etc ... really amazing system.
Anyway...
I can almost guarantee you that you'd pay much less moving abroad for your studies than studying in Cali as we discussed... and besides... you'd learn SO MUCH apart from school...

I am *really* happy you've asked that question.
Think abotu it, sweetie

shine on
Cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Delete

Peregrine

Total posts: 428
Posted:I went to Uni in Australia for 2.5 years; got my degree and honours in zoology from UNSW in sydney, graduated in 1999. They have apparently gutted the biology faculty since iwas there though and replaced all the whole animal people with microbiology/genetics people.

so at the time for international students in the school of natural sciences it was something like $7000AUD per semester. plus since i transferred I had to do summer semester which SUCKED! it was different if you were "study abroad" student associated with another university in another country, in which case they also charged you for room since you could live in study abroad housing. but that wasnt great since you ended up with a bunch of Americans anyway.

I lived in an apartment in Maroubra, i think it was about $300 a month? (for me) with 2 other people. I also owned a car since I needed it to get back and forth to my study site and petrol/gas would run something like $35 a tank, but then when I wasn't using it theres good buses, trains and the like. Food was priced about the same as here. I dont drink so I saved my money to go traveling on breaks, to tasmania, queensland, victoria, western NSW for birding. At the time and since the Australian Dollar to american dollar was very favorable; I paid my tuition once on the day the dollar hit its lowest point (at the time) ever...something like $.68 ...it since went down to .50! (what are you guys doing down there?) I also only flew home twice since the plane tickets cost about $1200 or more.
because i originally started out at bowdoin college we were counting on paying a lot more per year then we were in Australia and i had student loans, trust fund from grandma, and stuff already, which seemed to carry on when i went OS; however I did have parents handling most of the financial stuff until I came back and started to pay them off.

If you want to migrate to australia permanently they have a point system (which I havnt looked at recently so you should check it)
but you had to have 10k in a bank account
you got points if you were:
related to someone there
had a degreee from there
worked at least 3 years in a career which is on the useful list.
were of a certain age
already had a job proposal from there
had no criminal record

etc.
its pretty hard to get in even if you are a refugee from a war-torn country (should read the local news too...)

anyway, I had a really good time there, saving up to go back and stuff, thats what I know

Pere

Delete

Cassandra

Cassandra

Froggie ... Ribbit !!!

Posted:BTW, studying in a public university in France is about ... 200$ a year (yes, two hundred...)
but life in Paris is pretty expensive (approx like NYC I guess).

just so you know...

Shine on
Cass

Delete

Kyrian

Dreamer

Posted:Thanks for the input mis amigos!

Hmm... so my further thoughts. If I go, I want to go for four years at least and probably to stay. The point would be that it is less expensive, which means in teh end england might be out because the cost of living is supposedly higher there than even in the states. Oz seems like fun... we shall see. I'm still gonna try and dig up money for UCSC, because i really want to go there (although I then want to leave the country for oz or nz, so mebbe i am insane) but otherwise i will start looking at places and thanks for ur input so far.... cass, if i moved to france would you teach me french and help me out? I mean, obviously that would be insane, but if i had someone i knew it might be fun to try, and if tuition is that cheap i might just pull it off

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Delete

Simos

enthusiast

Total posts: 382
Posted:Hey Kyrian...
On british unis first: BLOODY EXPENSIVE if you are an international student (uni fees will set you back about 10000+ a year, depending on the uni and subject).
Making 20k USD in 3 months: I'll use the quote from your signature:
"Faith is believing in what you damn well know isn't true." -Mark Twain Best of luck with it though!!!!!!! :-)
happy swinging,
Simos

Delete

Charles
BRONZE Member since Jun 2001

Charles

Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer

Total posts: 3989
Posted:FINE! (Starts sulking in the corner).

And here i was getting all excited that people were talking about uni's again on HoP

(Uni is short for unicycle in certain circles, not just short for university).

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Delete

Kyrian

Dreamer

Posted:10thous pounds is less than 20k usd, no?

lol charles

ok, i want it to stop being yesterday when i post. well, it's not yesterday for me,. but yeah

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Delete

Cassandra

Cassandra

Froggie ... Ribbit !!!

Posted:Sweet one !!!
I'd help out with pleasure ... but I'll be travelling around the world next year ...

Why not consider do part of your studies in one place and part of it elsewhere ? Just a thought.
I'd pick OZ and / or NZ if I were you

shine on
Cassandra

Delete

PK_
BRONZE Member since Dec 2001

PK_

Lambretta Fanatic

Total posts: 4993
Posted:sits moping in the corner with charles an my uni!
and to think i just got hopping around on it down too....aww shuks..

good luck with the whole citizanship thingy though..
get intouch with your embasy and apply for greencards or what ever they call em, i do know that you can get SPONSERED to study / work in a different country as i was off to live in the US a few months back. hope this is of help!

PK.

"To be an angel, one need not have wings.
In giving love there is an equal grace.
Nor need one seek the aura in the face,
As love unveils the beauty of all things."

*Francois Couperin.

Delete

Sepa

Total posts: 184
Posted:Sadly international students are charged a lot of money in any system. My aunt who lives in SF was looking at sending her son to study in Oz rather than in the US and it ended up working out at about the same because of the high tuition fees and despite that the cost of living is so much lower than at home. However it's certainly worth doing specific research in the country of your choice - each Uni sets its own rules and charges for foreign students so contact them individually.

As for migrating, most countries have a point system (where it helps to be already educated!) or you need to find an employer to sponsor you. Unfortunately you need to be from a Commonwealth Country to get an ancestry or WHV to get into the UK - the only way people from the States can do is WHV in Britain is through BUNAC. Many other European countries offer WHV, but I'm not sure to what degree the States is included in this. Sadly, because the US has such a restrictive immigration policy itself, many countries are very restrictive towards incomers from the US.

Research research research is the only way you'll find the answers you need as you need quite specific info!

Delete

sarah...

Total posts: 339
Posted:well, i tell you, if you come to australia, we will definately hurt you! most likely we'll release our pet crocks on you.
J/K
i have no idea about cost, but all tertiary education burns a hole in the pocke
As for the 20k...
prostitution

Fire... A bushmans telly

Delete