Forums > Social Discussion > A rant about drunk spinners

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Cloud Sparkmember
4 posts

Posted:
Hi. I'm actually a very well-known member of the board. Look at my login name and you can probably figure out who I am if you free-associate for a second. I'm going to rant about someone I know in person and it's possible that she might read this (even though she doesn't usually visit the board), so I'm using this alter-ego in hopes of staying out of trouble.

So I was doing some fireplay for a party. The space that I had was too small for poi, but large enough for fire eating and tracing. I had just finished my act when she showed up, drunk off her a$$, and DEMANDING that I let her spin fire with my poi, which I wouldn't let anyone do in that space even if they sober. And she got really pissy about it when I flat-out refused. I told her she could use my beamers or my LED glow sticks and after pissing at me and telling me to stop being such a safety nazi, she finally tried out my LED glowstick poi.

And she SUCKED!!! I mean, she could do the forward two-beat weave and the windmill and that's it. And she hit herself three times in the first 15 seconds. I let her use my beamers on the condition that she first touch one to her forehead to understand how dangerous they were and she hit herself with those, too. (My view is that I don't care if you hurt yourself as long as you don't hurt anyone else, which is why fire was out of the question).

Sorry, I just wanted to vent. I hate incompetent drunk people who think they can get off demanding to spin fire with my poi. mad mad mad mad

Oh, and if you figure out who I am, PLEASE don't post my real name as that would defeat the purpose of this alter-ego. rolleyes

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Great quote from yesterday I heard in Edinburgh:

"Im not drunk! Im always this annoying..."

ubblol

I know what you mean though Person of unspecified details

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
aww that sux i hate it when ppl cant respect the fact that its your gear so its your call (cant say ive ever personally had that problem only stories but the concepts of ppl being like that bugs me ubbangel)

what i dont get though is if its big enough for beamers how come its not big enough for fire poi?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Good Call my fire friend! Safty 1st!! I once let a drunken fool play with an unlit poi. Next thing I knew it was douced and on fire in a Dead Pine Tree!! eek eek!!
That was in the first months of fire dancing, and I didn't know any better. Thank god the tree didn't go up! It was in the front yard of my house, within a ton of other trees!!

Drunken fire spinning... I can't say I have Never done it, but I can say I will never let another drunkerd play with my Fire Gear!

Beee Safe! wink

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i dont really have anything to add about drunk people, except i agree not to let them near fire...

and they are annoying, but what can you do?

i had fun working out who you are though, took me a couple of minutes, think i got it now though tongue

one question though, what stops the drunk person from the storey, reading that post and working out who you are?

i dont really see the point in the alter ego...
wave

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Punkassemob***hmember
58 posts

Posted:
You fibber Oli, you let Lechy Dave spin when he's drunk all the time!
If they want to spin drunk, fine, but they must adhere to the following diagram:
wave You

BIG SPACE WITH WALLS AND BUILDINGS IN

weavesmiley Them beerchug

You can always spot the moral victor.
They're the one bleeding on the ground.

EVIL DOES NOT WEAR A BONNET!- Mr Tinklestein

Mon the Biffy.

Cloud Sparkmember
4 posts

Posted:
I don't think she'll even read this, and if she does, she won't figure out who I am. Besides, even if she does, she deserves this thread.

The reason beamers are OK and fire isn't is because the worst that can happen with a beamer is that it gets tangled in a tree or she cracks her fool skull with it. I warned her, she accepted the risk, it's not my responsibility.

Burning down the neighborhood is a different issue entirely.

I have no problem with new spinners who aren't as good at poi as I am. I mean, I've been doing it for three years. And I'm hardly a terrific spinner. I do have a problem with drunk people spinning fire in a place where there are trees close overhead. Being intoxicated reduces your ability to handle an emergency, should one come up. If the emergency is that you broke your shin, that's bad, but it's ultimately your problem. If the emergency is that a tree is on fire, it becomes a much bigger problem.

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
No Sh!^, I agree Fully!! This happened over 6 years ago, and I still live by only handing out practice poi to anyone who wants to show me what they can do... After that I will deturman if they will light up or not.
Pluss its a bit funni when a Ego driven Fool walks up and wants to play with the Beemers ubblol

~FS

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Yeah give them the beamers I say....that'll learn em!! And if they still want fire take matter into your own hands

"Just take the beamer dammit!!"
Non-Https Image Link

Let's relight this forum ubblove

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
i spin very very drunk, on my own, really slowly, after everyone else is in bed....

but yeah, anywhere else, cencored that!

alcahol is very very bad for the old hand eye....

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
That's just silly. Why are people like that?! Other than getting loud and boisterous, I'm pretty friendly and concious of my abilities when I am drunk. No hidden ego/aggression or anything like that comes out when I'm drunk.

Hell, this past weekend I was offered to spin fire with some folks at a party (thanks BTW to Dark Poet for offering). I was sober at the time of the offering, but knowing I was about to go buy a drink from the bar, I politely declined, and just accepted being an onlooker for the evening. This didn't stop me from twirling the beamers, so i don't know that I can really claim to be any smarter than this girl, but hey, I didn't want fire, so that counts for something right? spank ubblol

Oh yeah, and I think i figured out the name. Pretty clever, lol.
EDITED_BY: Big Andy (1080519077)

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Andy, I think the point the original poster is making is that you yourself declined to spin fire. That counts for a lot.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

carbon_blackmember
38 posts

Posted:
i had an incident like a week ago with a mate wanting to use my fire gear when he was drunk. i have a burnt bike now and he got a good slapping. i found that i do my show kinda early in the night and hide the stuff. that way people ask for it and i say its put away and they get over it. or they are to drunk to remember i even done a show and don't bother asking.

Friday night is FIRE night...

Life ain't life without atleast cheating death atleast once a day.

thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
some people should be ENCOURAGED to spin fire when drunk. especially if they think they can do double neckwrap butterflys.

then the world would be a much safer place.. ;]

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
cloud spark??! ubblol hug

Quote:

some people should be ENCOURAGED to spin fire when drunk. especially if they think they can do double neckwrap butterflys.

then the world would be a much safer place.. ;]

oi you! what are you trying to say??!! spank

*grumble grumble*

wink ubblol
EDITED_BY: Dentrassi (1080524956)

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

carbon_blackmember
38 posts

Posted:
drunk spinners should probally spin and then get hurt and then smell the sweet smell of say burning hair/flesh. then they may stop asking to use my fire gear while drunk. spank

Kapura MataaroHoP resident longboarder.
195 posts

Posted:
i'd have to agree with lightning, it is definately a good thing that u turned it down...spinning whilst addled on anything (though not including caffine or gurana) isn't exactly the smartest way to conduct yourself when using flaming objects.... eek ubbloco

"surely a longboarding fire spinner should have no trouble getting some action!"- NYC....

Cloud Sparkmember
4 posts

Posted:
I want to say this so people understand what I'm on about.

I don't care if a lone drunk spinner burns him/herself while, say, standing on a beach or out in the middle of the playa at Burning Man where there is no possibility of ever setting anything else on fire, but I do care when it's in a wooded suburban neighborhood that would go up like a torch.

I'm with Thor. If stupid people want to hurt themselves, maybe that's a good thing. A good, serious injury is often a cure to stupidity. Stupidity, when protected, breeds.

But, as Ben Franklin I believe once said, "My right to swing my fist stops at your nose." The instant an idiot is putting an entire small town at risk by spinning fire (poorly) drunk under low-hanging branches, you no longer have the right to ƒü¢I< it up and learn your lesson.

carbon_blackmember
38 posts

Posted:
its dangerous enough us doing it let alone a drunk person with or without experience doing it.

theres still an element of danger involve no matter whos doing it. but where and how and under what state of mind they are doing it under is their responcebility.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

theres still an element of danger involve no matter whos doing it. but where and how and under what state of mind they are doing it under is their responcebility.

Not if it's his house that gets burned down.

-Mike

carbon_blackmember
38 posts

Posted:
its kind of their responcebility to do it away from houses then aye.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Quote:

its kind of their responcebility to do it away from houses then aye.

what?
try explaning responsability to a drunk spinner. you will be sorley disapointed.

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

ASTRO FAERIEBRONZE Member
ummmmmmm.............
724 posts

Posted:
Drinking or getting stoned while spinning fire is a problem which never seems to go away, there are always idiots that decide that they are ok to do it. They presume that because they are normally good spinners that its ok to spin fire absolutely rattarsed.

The main part of it that annoys me is the lack of respect, firstly for themselves, and secondly for the people around them.

If they want to spin fire drunk etc. and are addamant about it, then they should go and find a quiet area away from anyone else, and whatever damage they do, happens only to them.

It may sound harsh, i dont like the thought of people i know getting pissed and using them, but some people cannot be reasoned with when they are so off their face.

It upsets me how people get so nasty when you confont them about it, after all, you are stopping them for their safety as well as the safety of others, and in a way should be grateful for your warnings. weavesmiley

Only when the last tree has died
and the last river has been poisoned
and the last fish has been caught
will we realise that we
cannot eat money.

Cree Indian, 1909

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Drinking or getting stoned while spinning fire is a problem which never seems to go away

The first part, I agree with, the stoned part I definitely do not, but I'll avoid tangents me thinks.

In this particular situation it sounds like the girl was after a bit of attention from other people there. Ego's never a good reason to do anything and especially not to be spinning smashed in a dangerous situation. rolleyes

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
Of course if somebody absolutely insists on using your equipment and your really scared for their safety/life, say "ok",
then offer to fuel the wicks for them and accidently dip them in WATER instead of fuel ubbidea

WHOOPS!! wink sorry!!! no fire for you!!!

I'd prefer to have to dry out a set of wicks than possibly bring a friend to the hospital after they torch themselves...

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Have you ever tried to actually dunk your wicks in water?

They float eek eek eek

Vanize & I tried once (we both could have swore it was fuel) and kept trying to get them to sink, but they refused to. We had no problem dunking them properly in fuel and burning them immediately after that though.

peaches**86943thats sooooo not where i parked my car...................
198 posts

Posted:
i constantly spin when im drunkand i see nothing wrong with it

WARNING: Never ever use fire when drunk - edit by Malcolm

Saying otherwise is against the site rules

---deleted---

(p.s why are beamers so dangerous)
EDITED_BY: Malcolm (1080681202)

we cant stop here its bat country!!!!!!!!!!!

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
its quite simple peaches.

drunk people can often injure themselves without even trying, even when doing normal things like walking down stairs, walking to the bar, and driving. let alone poi and fire.

the point is the much higher risk of injuring yourself and others, because you are drunk. nothing may have happened...yet.
even seasoned performers screw-up without alcohol - if you screw up with alchohol, you will lose that split second time you have to react before a serious incident occurs.

at the end of the day its up to personal opinion. you have the right to do as you wish, but there are way too many friends on this board who have had or seen bad experiences when fire and alcohol combine.
if you spin when drunk and no-ones around. its only yourself who will scar. but the most dangerous thing about performing is those around you, and what may happen to them.

be safe, and take care all hug

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Originally posted by Peaches
i constantly spin when im drunkand i see nothing wrong with it
sure if someone who knows absolutely nothing about saftey with pois or staffs then yeah that is a cause for some concern

The very fact that you spin while drunk shows that you don't know about safety... it doesn't matter if your with friends... your drunk!... and 15... (But that's another point) when your drunk your mind isn't working the best that it could...

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

peaches**86943thats sooooo not where i parked my car...................
198 posts

Posted:
true true
i promise to take care
you can get craig to bash me up if i dont behave myself when i get back up to cairns
you didnt tell me why beamers are dangerous
i was gonna get a pair

we cant stop here its bat country!!!!!!!!!!!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Peaches, it's not about you.

I could give a flying fig if you wind up in the ICU with burns over 90% of your body surface area. That's your own stupidity. But with fire, you risk hurting everyone else. And if you are anything other than stone-cold sober, if you ever screw up and set something on fire, it's on all of our heads. There will be legal bans on fire spinning, huge media attention, and it will be because some stupid drunk teenager insisted on spinning fire.

I honestly feel strongly enough about this that I think there should be a Board rule about not advocating spinning fire while altered. mad

-Mike

Page: