SeattleLitemember
12 posts

Posted:
Hey all,
I'm going to get the monkey fist and LED heads soon, and want your advice on which set I should get with the chains, and which I should get with just the heads. The monkey fists come with the stainless steel cable with swivels; the LEDs come with ball chain. I'd guess that the ball chain is preferable--what do you all think?
https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/details.asp?prodid=434&cat=400&path=50,400
https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/details.asp?prodid=602_2&cat=600&path=50,600

Thanks,
-SL

thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
see under the beaming poi heads it says `experienced users only`?

i've heard of people getting concussions from those things. they aint healthy if you hit yourself.

i've only ever used welded link and cables, so can't honestly attest to ballchain, but welded chain is uber-nice for heavy stuff, and those monkeyfists are heavy when soaked.

(cables just plain stink. they get kinked, tangles, and are painful to wrap.)

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I have to second the motion that the beaming poi are rather dangerous. I am a very experienced poi user, and I won't spin with them. My style is perhaps too wild to ever be safe with them. I prefer glo-toobs . they are still dangerous if you use them as is, but not so bad as the beaming poi. I cover the toobs with large clear plastic tubing and dabs of clear silicon on the outside of that to soften the blow. Any LED product that is tough enough to survive spinning it is inherently dangerous, but the beaming poi have SO much mass, they are like maces. One whack and... ubbloco

not tried the HoP monkey fists yet, though I'm itching too!

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo,

I third the motion about beaming poi, dont do it!

not only are they dangerous, they arnt all that pretty. Ive used them like 3 times since i got them, now they make bad paperweights. Id send them back if "too damn scary" was a valid reson for doing so. Even areotechs, which are a similar weight are not so bad, there is just no elasticity in beamers atall, so they deliver all their force to 1 point, it hurts.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
2 words solve the beamer safety issue...

bubble wrap

I don't personally own a pair of beamers, but whacked myself good with a pair a while back that had been wrapped in bubble wrap. Didn't hurt that bad at all. Just barely nicked my elbow with an unbubblewrapped pair this past weekend, and have an enourmous sore/bruised spot on my elbow still today.

The bubble wrap helped diffuse the light a little more too, making it look more like a ball of light instead of a cluster of led's. I love the fact that beamers are about as heavy as a fire set-up, and as such feel similar when you're spinning, but precautions must be taken to prevent injury, unless you're really good, or just don't try any moves you're unsure of with them.

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I used beamers long before fire as a newbie. Sure, I got hurt a bit but no pain no gain. Only now that Ive started with fire am I scared of them. I do hit myself a lot more though smile

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

PheonnexxBRONZE Member
89 posts

Posted:
I never used those glow poi thingies - i just attached glow sticks to my normal poi although if you do that regularly it does get expensive ubbcrying

ALthough i dont particular like the idea of swinging something really hard and reasonably heavy around me the fire poi hurt enough lol on ehit me right in the middle of the back the other day - i was getting a bit cocky so meh

Burn !

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
problem with bubble wrap is that it is too fragile - no matter how you secure it, it gets torn off after not so much use, and even if it doesn't pretty soon all the bubbles are popped anyway....

-v-

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
Quote:

problem with bubble wrap is that it is too fragile - no matter how you secure it, it gets torn off after not so much use, and even if it doesn't pretty soon all the bubbles are popped anyway....

It's most definately temporary. But bubble wrap is cheap and plentiful, at least in my corner of the world.

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I suppose it is cheap everywhere...

I just want the perfect permanent solution - is that too much to ask?!?!

is it???

Is it ?!?

ubbloco

But seriously, the way I spin, I get about 5 minutes out of a bubble wrap sheath before it is worthless. mad

-v-

PheonnexxBRONZE Member
89 posts

Posted:
Shame they use solid plastic on those glow poi if they used a softer see thru plastic (if u catch my drift) it would be better i thought it would be ok with protecting the LEDs as well as the softer plastic would absorb the shock as well.

Burn !

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
So er, dragging this back on topic (as opposed to another "Beamers really hurt" thread)...

I personally really like cable and don't feel much difference in terms of spinning than with chain. True, it does kink - but it's not noticable when you're spinning unless you do a tangle and just keep yanking them. You can wrap it easily, it's very strong and IMO less likely to snap than dog-chain or ball chain. If it's going to snap, you'll be able to tell very easily with a quick inspection - it'll be frayed. Unlike chains which will just go "ping" smile

However, I wouldn't use any of these for spinning light (in weight) poi. There's just something odd about having the chord heavier than the head.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude