Forums > Social Chat > Cultural Respect and Names

Login/Join to Participate

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hey all, gots a question for ya!

I am tentatively scheduled to go to Hawaii to perform. This is a good thing.

However, I have watched alot of documentaries and such on Hawaii and know how they hold to tradition, some superstition and many of their cultural history. I have a tremendous amount of respect for that.

Here is the dilemma. Obviously, one of their major dieties is Pele, the Goddess of Volcanoes and Fire.

So....do you think that if I do go there and perform (I will be doing fire eating ~not spinning~ as well as other non-fire sideshow arts), that I should change my stagename out of respect for their culture?
Do you think that my name would be perceived as disrespectful to their history and their beliefs?
I have never ever meant it as such, and it more relates to the volcano on the island of Martinique than anything.

I **really** don't want to alter it at all. I love my name. It is what I have been known by for years, and what I feel comfortable in. I think I have more people who know me by Pele in rl than my real name. I think it fits me better. I do have another performance name if I must.

I am really rather torn here. This could be the beginning of a yearly booking for me and so I don't want to do anything to screw it up.
confused

What do you think? Disrespectful or not?

(Sheesh, maybe I should have called myself Athena and gone to Greece. I don't think I would have this issue then! lol)

Thanks! hug
Pele

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
i just asked my mexican friend Jesus and he said don't worry about it. he even blessed your journey, then gave me some wine and fish.
just tell them you like soccer if they hassle you.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

WarchildBRONZE Member
After 17 hrs i got the little beautie
340 posts

Posted:

Hey Pele

Can you not get in touch with the people that are organizing the event and see what they think? Think that is what i would do. These people are gonna have a much better idea on where you stand with the whole tradition thing and respect for their culture. Well i hope they would anyway. Well just a thought.

Hope you manage to sort something out. sorry i wasn't more help peace

A wise man once told me, A friend will bail you outta jail, A great friend will be sitting beside you saying that was f**king awesome.

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
Hey Pele, Well I must admit that is a little bit of a difficult one. If you feel that this may be a bit iffy then i would change, become the spiderblade biggrin.

If you aint sure then you may find yourself stuck in the situation of having to explain yourself, on the other hand some may appreciate the gesture ubblove.

If i were you I would keep the name, as you said, its you, and it is quite appropriate for the occasion wink, I personally dont think that people would

be take it the wrong way ubbangel. Anyway, hope it goes ok, hope your ok, aint spoken to you in AGES.

coolio. cool

garbo tongue

be excellent to each other: safe:

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i agree i would talk to teh ppl, ask them would they mind if u carried pele?

im sure they will understand and respect you for asking?

surlyet thought if they have seen/spoken/read about you they will knwo ur name is pele?

Step (el-nombrie)

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
what they say..../!\ if they say no just find a temporary alias.

Let's relight this forum ubblove

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
there is a good chance that more of the people you will be performing for will be tourists and not natives, in which case the name would be a good thing, but if not it would probaly be a good idea to consider changing it, sorry for being entirely unhelpful, but remember, its never a good idea to anger the locals>much luv

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Actually two more things to throw in here. I have no contact with the organizer. I am a contract in for a show owner. He is the one dealing with Hawaii.

Secondly, it will be for natives, tourists and anything in between. This is for the Honalulu State Fair which gets more than 50,000 patrons.

I was told by my direct boss to not change my name, because he feels that the notoriety would do the show well (either of my reputation as a performer preceeding me, or of the name itself causing controversy.)

Hmmmmmmmm..........lots to think about. Thanks everyone. I am not so quick to say that I should or shouldn't still. If I have to then I am planning to use the name I use for Burlesque, so either way it comes back to me wink However, I really don't want to offend anyone.

Pele

And garbo!!!!!!!!!!! hug :Kiss: I miss you, you sexy beast! ubblove

Pele

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I don't think it's worth p1ssing off the locals just to get the extra publicity, as besides it may ultimately work against you.
How about making it a double barrel name? You could keep the Pele but add something before or after it, perhaps a Hawaian name for something else such as child, youth, or something generally to show you are not at the spritual level that their Pele is, that you have respect for Pele and are not promoting yourself as the same.
Know what I mean? smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
I think they might take it as a compliment, you could always explain where the inspiration for your name came from.

Besides you are a goddess of fire!

If you are still worried why don't you contact somebody at the Cultural Anthropology department at the University of Hawaii

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

Kiddamember
60 posts

Posted:
It probably wont be that much of a problem just be respectful and apologise if you find you've upset anybody out there. Though for the most part they will probably accept that your from a different culture to theirs and therefore you shouldnt really get much hassle over it.

smile

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Quote:

While you're there, you could ask for the performance itself to be announced as a representation of the fire in their heritage and that you are very honoured to be playing the part of Pele that night. smile

Ahhh, but I am not doing any of the fire in their heritage or history. They do the fire knives, and I will not be doing them. I won't even be doing poi.

The show is not what I think people think it is. It is called a 10-in-1. Ten acts, one show, one stage, alternating as fast as possible to get through it all in just under an hour. And I do three acts and help with at least one more. I don't have alot of time to talk or to do anything other than banter and my act. Then after a 10-15 minute crowd turn-over break, it is done all over again, for multiple hours at a time. It is an extremely traditional sideshow presentation.

However, if someone were to approach me after the show, I would gladly explain.

Kat, that is a great resource and idea! Thank you!

I guess, I should narrow the question down more...How would you feel? There is a diety that plays a huge part in your culture history, right up to today. A performer, not of that culture, steps up with that name and does an entertainment only presentation. How would you feel?

Thanks for giving me so much to think about!
Pele

Pele

thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
if you got on stage dressed in a robe, calling yourself Jesus, (or he soose), with a magic act turning water into wine, i'd be somewhat offended.

but i think you'll be fine, since pele (and jesus for that matter) is a fairly common name.

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Yes Pele, I think u should stick with your stage name. Some will accept it, some might not; it's a risk, but one worth taking.

I would also suggest that if u are concerned about the cultural implications of your stage name, then perhaps u could consider changing it permanently, otherwise stick with the name u grew up with.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Wear a Brazil strip and periodically chant "Yay for soccer!"

No one group of people have an exclusive right to a bunch of letters, no matter what the implications.

It's something of a tradition in Hawaii that hikers and heli-tourists throw a bottle of rum (or gin, or something that strips your tonsils down) into the crater of Mauna Loa as an offering to Pele. How many people actually believe what they're doing, and how many do it because it's cute? I guess the point I'm trying to make is that the locals actively encourage this and don't take offence at outsiders partaking of their traditions.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
Just a thought, but surely there are a multitude of performers in Hawaii. Do you have any way of finding out how many of them use names of local dieties? Here in America we have Jesus & Mary Chain, Godsmack, and the like... Nobody seems to care about their usage of sacred names.

Plus I agree with the promoters idea of notoriety. Whether you impress everyone, or offend a few, you're name will be remembered, and if nothing else, will generate controversy, which is usually more good than bad in the show biz (...no such thing as bad press...)

You're not naming yourself for shock value, or to denigrate Her image in any way, so I say keep it. It's familiar to them, and you're familiar with it. I know how much your name affects both your performance and your 'in-charater' persona. Could you really eat fire as "Maggie?" Dont' even think it....

Besides, if halfway through your performance, molten lava destroys the stage, you'll know you've done wrong... tongue

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
if you feel you would feel more comfortable performing under the name Pele then definately hold on to it, oh, honolulu state fair, that should be fun, i love state fairs....much luv

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Could you really eat fire as "Maggie?" Dont' even think it....

I laughed my arse off when I read this! That is scary and humorous, and I admit, I did think about it for a moment as a comedy skit to be sure! It would be funny, but the tooth black would kill it working methinks. For those who don't know, "Maggie" is a homeless matchgirl I played for years at another show. Not the most attractive character ever! lol

Quote:

Besides, if halfway through your performance, molten lava destroys the stage, you'll know you've done wrong... tongue

Might make for a neat effect for a ****really**** short while.

Eera, that is true, but also concider how the natives sell to tourists lava rocks, when the legend says they should not be removed from the island or bad luck will come to you. I watched a documentary where a man from the parks dept there said they get hundreds upon hundreds of the lava rocks sent back to them each year because people feel it gave them bad luck. Sometimes I think (and this is true for many, many places) the natives just like to make fools of the unsuspecting tourists.

So...Here is what I am going to do..... I am going to perform under Pele. I like her, I know her, over the years I am slowly turning into her *g*. If I am asked to change it once down there, then I will. I will explain it as well, to anyone who asks. So here's to hoping. The entire thing is going to be a new experience for me. The set-up. There is another performer, more known than I in the industry, and we are going to be assistants for one another...so the fact that I have this super respected, widely popular performer for my assistant freaks me out....all in all, it is a great opportunity. Plus I get to spend enough time there to take lessons and try all sorts of stuff!

Thanks all! I really appreciate the help!
hug ubblove kiss
Pele

Pele