Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > I just lost my fire virginity!

Login/Join to Participate

inertiaBRONZE Member
28 posts

Posted:
..and it was WONDERFUL ubbrollsmile biggrin ubbrollsmile

admittidly i kept to teh very basics...but oooo the prurty flames..n teh heat and the sound... wow ubblove

.. do all you wise n wonderful experienced types out there still have fond memories of your first time?.... was it everythin u hoped for or somewhot of an anticlimax?

anyway....nuff of my ranting..jus had to share my n00b excitement with the rest of the HOP world...
peace

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
Congratulations!!

Welcome to the wonderful world of FIRE, you'll never look back!

beerchug weavesmiley

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
cool biggrin
may you have many more mments like it.

i don't remember my first burn ubbcrying

only remember that it was within a week of picking up any toy of any kind
(something i highly recommend to most new spinners...., as it means you are never scared....)

ennjoy
R smile

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

GiGi-D L'Amourmember
19 posts

Posted:
congrats.. isn't that the best feeling??? I remeber mine (well it was rather recent July)
i deliberatley chose to spin at a party with friends so my first fire was in front of about 100 peopel (I do better with an audience) It was amazing the sound of the fire it was like it spoke to me and suddenly thats all i heard i didn't see or hear anything around me but the fire. Ahhhhh to fall in love

GiGi-D L'Amour
If you can't be normal make everyone else wish they weren't

timsimmsmember
33 posts

Posted:
My first time with fire was nearly three years ago, but I remember it as though it was yesterday... what DID I do yesterday?..... the colour of the flame, the sound of it as the poi did circles around me and the feel of the heat. Huge adrenalin rush as I realised that I didn't know how to stop them spinning and an even bigger rush when they bounced off my head because I was not concentrating and too busy listening to the sound it was making.

A great time had by all that watched....

Have fun twirling, and learning new tricks weavesmiley

I am the guy running around with his hair on fire!!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Congrats!
Did you use protection? wink wink wink

inertiaBRONZE Member
28 posts

Posted:

an even bigger rush when they bounced off my head because I was not concentrating and too busy listening to the sound it was making

hehe...hence ur runnin round wit flaming hair sig? wink

actually i think big part of my rush was taht i managed not to catch myself on fire or anyone/anything else for that matter...hehe biggrin

inertiaBRONZE Member
28 posts

Posted:
and yes mr badger....i practiced safe spinning tongue

CinderpupSILVER Member
30 posts

Posted:
Yeah I remember my loss of firey virginity.... I was up in NY at my grandparents cottage and they needed entertainment for the rest of the fam... they had fuel... I had wicks... and I spun. SOOOOOOOO NIIIIIICE!!

But it's funny that I noticed this post tonight because one of the kids I teach (Mr. Jake) jus lost his firey virginity! crrrrrrazy! I'm gonna slap a pic of him in my picture album thinger. He was sayin
"I don't know why everybody doesn't jus do it.. fire is amazing. The sound is intense and I wanna do it again!!!" biggrin

He kept repeating "again" but I decided not to put 'em all. But yes... firey goodness... how I enjoy it. ubblove

Congrats on your entry into the firey dimension beerchug

Nate and Jake

And where I go the flame shall follow. Be warmed by my outward souls flare and may it guide you through darkened paths.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
My first time was only a few months ago. It was a rush indeed. Not only because there was fire spinning around me but because the wicks were self made towel wicks (my first attempt at that as well) and I was just waiting for them to go flying apart or something. Luckily, they held together quite nicely. Flames on those puppies were huge too and lasted 10+ mins!

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
hahah i envy u all frown i've been glowstringing a traves but only with glowstix i think ill give the fire a chance, it seems sick! but i dont know if i will bea ble to adapt to th "no wraps or u catch on fire" rule:(

it must be green

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
You can wrap just fine with fire. Just gotta take some precautions like which fuel you use (paraffin is safest), what clothes you wear (all natural material ie cotton or wool) so they dont melt to your skin, and make sure your wicks dont have too much metal sticking out of em. If youre thinking about using fire, I suggest practicing with some heavier practice poi for a short time as the weight difference between glowsticks and fire poi is quite drastic as is the feel. Gotta get used to it a bit.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

mekajSILVER Member
3 posts

Posted:
Hey,

This is Jake here. The one Nate was talking about in that post. Yes...last night i did it... I lost my virginity to the flame! smile I can't wait to do it again! I loved the sound of the fire twirling around me... ubblove I've been obsessing over looking for some fuel since so that I can do it again! I just have to. I'm having trouble finding citronella but I'll probably go buy some white gas that I found or the paraffin. Any suggestions as to what for sure? Or should i consider getting both of those and mixing them? When I get a chance I'll post some pix that Nate took of me losing my virginity ubbrollsmile Later!

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
You know I never thought of it in that way... but yeah, I have lost my fire Virginity... not too long ago either, maybe a month or two... and in a way I regret it.
Yes it was awesome, the rush, the sound, everything was great... but I didn't know any awesome tricks... so it wasnt as special as I had have hoped... so I am going to wait until I learn new tricks before spinning with fire again.
I will say however that one of my friends was really proud of me when she saw me spinning with fire... coz even though I am over it mostly, I am still slightly pyrophobic... sometimes I have trouble getting close to it.. so doing something like this was really scary at first... but Manda was proud of me.. so that was cool

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
I love swinging fire.... such a rush and you can mezmorize a croud of 100+ people. It didn't take me long to learn wraps, just make sure you don't wrap them on bare skin because that bolt is a crafty little mofo and like an untrained puppy on a chain... It bites pretty hard. I suggest starting off with arm pit wraps and leg wraps one arm at a time. but unless you have 1 ft or less chains don't try a wrap on your right bicept with the chain in your right hand.... I learned that the hard way. slowly you'll learn easy combos coming out and going back into weaves. you'll love it. and personally, I recomend kerosine for spinning. It can be found at some gas stations for about $2 a gallon!!! can't beat that. it burns cold and hardly ever splashes. I've never caught myself on fire with it. best of luck!!!

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

TwirlyShoryuken!
233 posts

Posted:
Haha my hair is still singed from my first play with fire two months ago. I'd never used them even unlit, I was very high and it was my birthday. Thoughrally woosome.

I don't advocate the use of fire and drugs, but I hadn't thought about that at the time. It was just a case of "what the hell, those are cool, give them to me!"

filthy 23BRONZE Member
136 posts

Posted:
I remember my first poi burn, it was years ago... the only other person there was my friend who helped me build my first set of poi (with socks and bailing wire!).

I love to witness people's first burns... I teach poi and get to experience that excitement vicariously time after time. It keeps my enthusiasm fresh and reminds me not to take the fire for granted... It is very rewarding as a teacher.

When I look back to my virgin burn, I am so glad my teacher was there. I'm not sure anymore where she lives now, we've lost touch. I wonder if she still does poi. I hope she'd be proud of me now. She shared something with me that changed my life.
That's the most special part of my virgin burn.

I AM working.

misshappypantsBRONZE Member
stranger
24 posts

Posted:
Hey.... Where in Mass do you live? I used to live there...but now am in San Diego....

I am curious...where did you get your kerosene??? at any old gas station? the stuff in the pumps?? just curious. I am getting ready to do my first burn tomorrow...and need to get some fuel....

Thanks for your help. rolleyes

Be as happy as me....

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
jaero u said u reccommend Kero for spinning, thats what all my friends use and the only thing I have seen used... and when I am confident and good enough to get some fire poi I'll prolly use it too.

misshappypants, I dont know what the states is like (I will in a few days though) but I dont recomend the stuff in the pumps... that is if we are thinking the same thing.

inertiaBRONZE Member
28 posts

Posted:
wow...hadn't seen this thread for ages....ahhh its now just about 6 months exactly since my first burn..awwww seems like yesterday..hehe

actually i've spent a whole lot more time with my chains unlit..and my socks lately..practice practice practice...but yay still fun fun biggrin

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
I love all my freshly designed tatoos I recieve on impact. makes me feel all tingly inside.... and outside. anyways, yeah. kerosene. and I live in western mass if you were talking to me? you can buy kerosene at a gas station... usually with a diesel island in the back. or, if you're desperate, go to walmart and buy "lamp oil". you can mix a tiny bit or motor oil to it and it will work like a charm.

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

FlapjacksSILVER Member
part of the lonely trio
137 posts

Posted:
Aww, I remember my first burn. Wasn't long after I'd discovered normal poi.

Well what can I say..it musta been good; I'm still hooked a year or so later. smile

smells like burning teenagers..

Vestergaardstranger
22 posts

Posted:
Congratulations!!!

A great rush it was, that first time...

abideBRONZE Member
13 posts

Posted:
Nice...
I am still spinning glowsticks on a homade set of Poi. It seems to be comming fairly natural. biggrin

I can't wait to burn!!! I have just ordered a pair of Fire Poi from HOP. Now I am just fighting the erge to make a home-made firehead... ubbcrying

HMMMMNN....

Don't be afraid...Look full into the light!!!
abide

chaos_shadowcatMember
3 posts

Posted:

I've been burning almost as long as I’ve been spinning, & to those of you who are accident-prone I give you this advice

"It's all well & good until your flesh catches, then you’re in a world of [censored]"

I thought some of you might enjoy that & take it to heart, aka don't flip if you accidentally catch your jeans on fire, stay calm & don't do something rash. Debuting a new trick, like a sick butterfly combo, of a 5 or even a 7 beat is still just as exciting as your 1st burn & possibly even move...

if you truly love something, set it a blaze like the fires of hell & bask in its light & glory