Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > double single handed poi (4 poi) ???

Login/Join to Participate

GiGi-D L'Amourmember
19 posts

Posted:
hey all just started playing with this 2 sets of poi one set each hand... came rather natural for me.. single handed was always a breeze (weave, cages or butterfly etc) so while spinning at a party some oen asked if I had done 2 sets said no but why not... (was still lit) grabed my boy friends set also still lit and next thing I know I am doing a altered version of windmills with 2 sets and weaves....
any way this has me going and I want to know who else does this and what moves do you find work best with double single handed??? no one else out here seems to do these.
GiGi-D
Tucson AZ

GiGi-D L'Amour
If you can't be normal make everyone else wish they weren't

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
i dont get it are when u bust a weave with the poi,, are both boi in each hand alternate? lol or are u jsut spinning as if u had normal poi but u have 4 instead of 2?

it must be green

GiGi-D L'Amourmember
19 posts

Posted:
Ok single handed 1 set in 1 hand or in other words 2 poi in one hand to get them to split and weave while in one hand I have one in a normal grip onmy middle and index fingers the secong I loop on my ring finger pull it in a figuer 8 across the body to get started i push my thumb bettween the middle and ring fingers to get them to seperate Bing it opens up and work it like you would a weave with 2 sets it s the same basicly only 4 chains 2 in each hand..... Make sense??? some of its hard for me to describe since I just do it with out thinking.

for the windmill same motion as normal again the creepy thing is they all swoop down and spin around you kinda unnerving the first time I did it.

GiGi-D L'Amour

GiGi-D L'Amourmember
19 posts

Posted:
Oh forgot to mention the nice thing is with 4 you can open them or close them depending on need for instance some turns are easier with them closed acting like a normal set of poi.... but as you complete the turn pop em open again looks niffty

GiGi-D L'Amour

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Yea we discussed this before... its old name is 4 poi, or 4 long poi (depending on length) I dig 4 poi but often it can get nasty dangerous.

For moves u should try 4 poi weave with wraps, like maybee try with 1 hand to do a weave and let 1 poi wrap over the arm that is spinning them, just for a single (thru) wrap, and it should come out when u change direction and then do that again the other direction.

Now once you can do that both hands same time on the sides of your body, you can start to do it in the weave (which u say u can already do) so should be easy for ya, and its alot eaiser than it sounds. peace

Traditionally butterflys and split time butter flyz are the norm with 4 poi, or even slightly off set times can look amazing. ubbangel

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
This has been mentioned a few times, so you could try a search.

I reckon double meteor'd be more worthwhile. The only advantage to using poi'd be if you were going to do part of it with 2 poi. Other than that you can assume that you're only talking about one handed poi moves which are all possible with meteor anway.

The advantage of meteor though, is that not only will you be able to do all the one handed moves but you can include throws and most of the standard double staff moves too (well in theory, I certainly wouldn't be able to right now ubbangel)

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
haha that sounds liek some wicked [censored] and mist be impressive but umm i dunno,
semms to me like your moves would be limited so one handed moves and since yur poi ar all split time then your [censored] lol, well not really its jsut that when your moves are limited the shorter the show cus that meens u cant repeat the same move as many times as u would if u had some wicked combo's cus in thsoe cases people dont really catch on to waht u do but when repeated.. they start understanding and i like to keep that jaw dropping effect

it must be green

GiGi-D L'Amourmember
19 posts

Posted:
I don't know I really don't FEEL limited I poped in too a full weave and full windmill natuarly just had to calm my self down when I realized 2 of the wicks swing by my face while 2 are over head... buned my chin during a show once already doing thats one. If you controll the time well you can turn whil both are spread over head and yankem down under arm (a wrap) and pop them back out I do weaves and winmills so easily having 2 sets vs 1 wasn't mess... the challeng is keeping both open as there always fighting you to close... glad to finaly hear more on this

GiGi-D L'Amour

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
Quote:

single handed was always a breeze (weave, cages or butterfly etc)

Sorry to diverge off-topic, but just for one question - what's a cage?

E pluribus unum, baby.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Thinking about it a little more I think that 4 poi in pointless wink(no really) cause with 2 meteor it is:
a) a lot easier to do all the tricks you refer to without exception
b) greater variety of tricks, including more wraps, throws and double staff moves that would not be possibe with double poi.

I could be wrong but I can't think of one reason to use 4 poi...
ubbangel

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
I've seen 4 poi look real nice. ubblove
With each hand spinning on quarter time!!!!!
it became very much like double staff moves. and i thought
doh. why didn't I think of that.

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
lol k i jsut dont think ill understand until i c it cus it jsut doens tmake sense

it must be green

SlightlySingedGOLD Member
82 posts

Posted:
Just tie your poi handles together = meteor. Just to see wink I totally agree - if you're doing 4 poi, you'd be heaps better off with 2 meteor. I'm thinking of trying it wink It'd be akin to double staff, but with more variety, I think. And man, it'll look SO sweet when you get really good at it.

You might even want to check out some double staff tutorials for ideas. https://www.firetwirlers.com/lessons/staff

I do poi nearly every day. But it's not like I'm addicted or anything. I mean, sure, I am always conscious of exactly where my poi are at all times, but I'm not obsessed. um.. Anyone have the number for Poi-ers Anon?

WildThingmiss beelzeboss
41 posts

Posted:
sorry for not having concentration for reading all posts...but mentioning 4 poi... i'm dreaming for months how to do 2 single handed butterflies ...is that possible.. ? lets say you spinn 2 poi up and put them in one hand..so..theres one hand left..can you 'produce' a butterfly with only one hand ?xD

You make my heart sing..you make everything..GROOVEY .. yeah =) xD