Forums > Social Chat > firedancing and fashion

Login/Join to Participate

Twilightmember
4 posts

Posted:
Ok, so one of my friends who's only beginning to learn about firedancing and poi and whatnot recently did a report on firedancing and fashion, specifically drawing her sources from the SF. firedancer community. And I thought that this may be of interest to some of you out there. so here's the link:https://www.nanospace.com/~travesty/firedance.htmlNow, I'll warn you up front that this tends to focus on local groups such as Pyrogeist, Burn Unit and Burnt Offering and independant firedancers who all tend towards more gothic/industrial fashion, but i personally think it's well worth the time to read it. Let me know what you think, let her know what you think! Twilight

Twilightmember
4 posts

Posted:
oh, and just to add something else to this thread, I remembered a link to some videos of monolith, a firedancing event that she sited in this bit of writing:https://www.waste.org/monolith/video/also, just wanted to take a general poll as to what everyone's fav. thing to wear while firedancing is....Twilight

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
...well i usually swing my poi naked!!! grin ...emmm i don't do fire and i don't really know much about the goth scene etc BUT i have to say that there are some very good moves on some of the videos on the second of the above links...thanx for that link twilight wink - i can't wait to go and download the rest of the videos...happy swinging,Simos[This message has been edited by Simos (edited 10 February 2001).]

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
Wow Twilight, thanks, that was an interesting read.It sounds a bit different to the fire dancing scene in Sydney. I've never seen a goth firedancer around here. smile

maeonmember
40 posts

Posted:
I was actually pretty surprised to read that pretty much all the firedancers studied were goth/gothesque. In Brisbane, fire seems to be split between three or four basic (yes, I know I'm stereotyping) fashion types.HippiesRaversGoths/PunksCircus KidsIts amazing the way that fire dancing has changed in its separate pockets of the world. Theres so much convergent and divergent evolution in the equipment, moves and the associated fashion its unbelievable. I'm just glad theres the technology available to let us all talk about it, not matter where we are.

Where in the world is the island I'm on?

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
...yeah i totally agree; the report was very interesting to read, especially since i know very few things about the goth fire dancing scene...and i got so excited with that other link too, i mean an organised fire event sounds as something from another world to me since we don't get much of that here in the UK - i couldn't agree more with you Maeon, it's amazing how firedancing has changed withing different groups and countries...this monolith event is something completely new to me, i have never seen anything like that before; it's amazing how different it is from the environment i am spinning - grrrr i wish at some point i can attend an organised fire dancing event too!!!happy swinging,Simos

raemember
6 posts

Posted:
Actually, Monolith wasn't a fire dancing event; it was a New Year's Eve party at a warehouse for the combined goth/industrial/rave/trance scene. We had amateur and professional bellydancers, drummers, DJs, etc, and firedancers, who performed in the lot in front of the warehouse. 'Twas quite an event. We actually have firedancers at a lot of the club events 'round here...By the way, I made an error (hi, I'm the chick who wrote the report): I said that most firedancers were goths. That ain't true- the breakdown is actually more how maeon described in it Sydney. It's just that I had to focus on a particular group of firedancers, and being a goth (party loyalty, yaknow! wink, that's who I chose.

Twilightmember
4 posts

Posted:
group fire dancing events are actually fairly common over in CA.....or at least in the fire groups that i'm familiar with.....they may not be very well organized, BUT they do happen. As for something that might be worth actually coming over from england for (you may not be able to, but it's definitely worth looking into), there is a week long FIRE oriented event called Burning Man....it happens at the end of August, and there are soooo many firedancers/breathers/other very very very cool fire toys there....along with other interesting things.....that particular event is in Nevada though.....but, if you're ever in CA, let us know and we'll show you the most firey time we can manage..... smiletwilight

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I'm coming from Australia for Burning Man.I've heard the twirling is good.I've heard the event is mind blowing.I've heard there's nudity there.what more could you ask for?Josh

vyvyanjourneyman
92 posts

Posted:
Oh! I sooooo want to get to Burning man. Have seen all the sites and recently read an article in some womens mag , the article was shit but the photos were sooooo inspiring, its crazy out there, but can be pretty dangerous too, you have to accept the possibility of your own injury and even death ! There was this aerial shot of the site and it looked like some weird alien civilisation had set up camp in the desert, sooo amazing, whoa. It was a perfectly formed semi circle, like a collar form ancient egypt, that kind of shape, but all these little lanes running in perfect symmetry through it. Then, in the centre, out a fair bit from the camp sites, was the burning man. farkin cool. As much as australians ( that i know) can bag the yanks, thay are daaaaaaamn cool.oh, on the other trail of conversation, i'm semi-goth semi-feral and I see fire twirlers from all walks of like down here. Last friday I taught a 30 something engineer in denim and countryroad how to firebreathe. Go figure- each to their own is what I reckon.

...Firebreathing? Magic is only part of it my friend, diet does the rest!