Forums > Social Chat > fire toys and security checks

Login/Join to Participate

harrisonmember
1 post

Posted:
Curious to know what experiences people have had travelling with their fire toys. Has there been more difficulty since Sept 11th? Has anyone had equipment confiscated? Any suggestions?I've been lucky and haven't been searched recently. I've been putting equipment in my check through bags. Just wondering what would happen if they did check and found them.thanks

cryogenicmember
34 posts

Posted:
um.. pretty sure this has already been discussed.. do a search for it..point?

If at first you don't succeed, tell everyone you did and hope they don't ask you to prove it...

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yup, point, I started the topic a while back.I've never had anything confiscated at the airport. Recently I took my wicks to Paris wink and didn't have any trouble. I did kinda hide them in my suitcase (felt like quite the drug smuggler) but it was unnecessary as it didn't seem to matter.My feeling is if you really care, don't bring them if you're going to be crushed if they take them. At some airports I've had my bags "swabbed" for explosive residue but nothing turned up... Maybe they were looking for "real" explosives, not just gasoline derrivatives.DON'T bring them on carry-on.Do a search and you'll find more...(2 Points?) wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
What the heck, three points, and throw this over to technical someone. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Charlymember
68 posts

Posted:
Just got back from travelling through Central America with poi and fire eating tools... no problems with customs or security checkpoints.I'd say wrap them up so there's no odor and if you get any questions say they're 'juggling props' (poi swinging is considered contact juggling by some) and you shouldn't have any problems.It's fuels they are more concerned about so burn your wicks off well before you go and you should be OK.~*Charly*~www.cabiri.org

Deaf258BRONZE Member
4 posts

Posted:
Okay, here is the situation. I am moving to Maryland in 6 days. I've got my trusty poi, but was warned by a friend that I may not be able to bring it with me at all. I thought about mailing them to my new location. My friend said it may not happen, either.

If I burned off enough fuel from my wicks, wrapped them well so that there are no odors, and if the airport security still want to confiscate my poi, would I still be able to take my pair of ball chains with double loop handles minus the wicks?

Since I am tight on money and for nostalgic reasons, I really, REALLY want to keep my first and only fire toy!

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
If they are wrapped up well and sealled in zip lock bags in your hold luggage you should be ok. Take the handles and ball chain off the heads and weave them around a belt in your luggage so they think they is part of the belt, that way if they do have a sniffer dog that picks out the heads and they confiscate the heads you will still have the chains and handles.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Deaf258BRONZE Member
4 posts

Posted:
Thanks! That is a great idea!