FirePoi-boymember
71 posts

Posted:
As part of our French exam we've got to spend 15 minutes speaking french to an examiner. The idea is that we can bring in a picture of a hobby or something to talk about. Surprisingly i want to talk about poi.Is the term "fire-poi" used in french or does it translate?Also some names of some moves in French would come in handy!CheersSam.---------------------------------------------"Except everything then explain it your way"

Blue Phoenixmember
2 posts

Posted:
I am no little french lady but on a recent trip to france I learned that fire chains are the literally translated: chaine du feu. As for names of moves I have no idea but I hope this is some kind of help!

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Where's Cass when you need her!There was a thread on this a while ago: https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001883.html
and it sounds like there aren't any specific French counterparts to the English poi terms.

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Yeah... I'm still struggling when explaining fire spinning in french to my friends/family there. I keep coming back to using english words, and it sucks because it makes me sound like JC Van Damme, who speaks this obnoxious french where he can't NOT use an english word every 5 seconds. I used to think "What a dumb-ass, he can't even speak french properly anymore. Or he's just trying to sound cool by putting more english words in there". Well shit, that's how i sound now sometimes, you really lose it...Nomad

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Yeah... I'm still struggling when explaining fire spinning in french to my friends/family there. I keep coming back to using english words, and it sucks because it makes me sound like JC Van Damme, who speaks this obnoxious french where he can't NOT use an english word every 5 seconds. I used to think "What a dumb-ass, he can't even speak french properly anymore. Or he's just trying to sound cool by putting more english words in there". Well shit, that's how i sound now sometimes, you really lose it...Nomad-----------------------------------Anthelionwww.anthelion.org

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Cass... is on week end and usually not in front of the computer but for some reason i am..; soooo...Fire boy, I hope that previous thread helped. if not, please ask more specific questions and I'll answer with pleasure.Unlike what Blue Phoenix says i would not use "chaine du feu" , maybe chaine de feu ..; but even that sounds weird. poi = poifire poi = poi de feu eeeeer..; ugly ..; wait a minute. Chaine de feu maybefiredancing = ???? ::hitting my head against the walls::so sorry.nomad, you cracked me up with your van damme analogy cause i actually feel just as silly.Sorry i am pretty much useless..; but if you have more specific terms, I am sure Nomad and I will try and help.Shine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
Maybe you could say "je tourne le feu" i.e. I spin fire. I'm not sure if thats the correct way to say it though, but it's an idea.

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
ES, sorry but no. That sounds horrible! smileThere are just some things you can't translate. I spin fire sounds so good and so easy in english, but it's very idiomatic and i can't find a f'n equivalent to it in french. It's killing me!! Where are the other french fire spinners on this board?!?! I'm sure they have their own vocabulary on the topic, since they probably got into it "in french".Nomad-----------------------------------Anthelionwww.anthelion.org

4,224 posts

Posted:
Nomad, I've met two different types of french spinners : those like us who've learnt firedancing with english speakers etc... (those crackheads just can't make a proper sentence and sound like us ... little Van damme wink )The rest never uses the word poi, always Bolas for example. And the usually play around the word Juggling instead of having a vocabulary revolving around the idea of dancing with fire...: blushff to further investigate::Shine onCassandra

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
come on guys! French is the language of love! surely there must be some poetic way to say "bonjour, I am Jean-Pierre, would you like to do the dance of fire with me?" without resorting to a silly language like english which steals its words from everywhere. smileon the other hand, what's wrong with stealing back a couple of words? and, technically, poi isn't an English word anyway...Pere

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
hmm.. I only learnt french for 2 years .. wasn't exactly fluent (but could probably get by).. and have no idea where to start with trying to find 'fire-dancing' or 'fire-spinning' translation-type verbs. I mean something that rolls off the tongue that is. I reckon you could say 'poi' and derivatives of poi without worrying too much ... or if you're worried about marks make up something easier... (I used to do that all the time wink ) Probably why I'm not the best at it now ...

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
What's French for "Penguin"? tongue

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Mushinkatomember
164 posts

Posted:
I know some good French words. Trouble is, they are mostly used when the trajectory goes off course and high velocity impact occurs; and probably best not used in a French exam. grin------------------Kato

Kato

catboymember
167 posts

Posted:
the use of french should be restricted to kissing tongue

you can take the cat out of the jungle, but you cant take the jungle out of the cat

Storytellermember
19 posts

Posted:
I need to learn some french myself. I yell the same swears every time I burn myself. Can anyone tell me some more creative words to yell when in pain?------------------ Ribbons of color twining and flux, open tomorrow for me

Ribbons of color twining and flux, open tomorrow for me

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
i dont know much french either although i used to be fluent. weird how thing leave after awhile.ive used my trusty french-english dictionary to come up with some great sentances.you might not want to use then in you class though...Vu granpere regadez tre bon das la robe rouge des mon sere*your grandfather looks very good in my sister red dress* the spelling may be wrong though..melee dan ta leseiu (spelling) *put it in your eye*substitue leseiu for any other word enlish or otherwise.heh hehphouque means seal but its pronounces yep you got it.. heh heh

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

ufo8mycatBRONZE Member
journeyman
60 posts

Posted:
lets see if i can help, having supposedly studied french for many years:Je tourne le feu: is good: Comme une forme de me relacher, je ne trouve rien plus therapeutique (j'en crois) que, ce qu'on appelle, des 'poi'. Deux chaines avec des poids au fin qu'on peut allumer.En practicant il est devenu une obsession, et dans mes temps-libres il semble que je ne fasse pas rien d'autre.I spin fire, and as a form of relaxing I haev found nothing more therapeutic than, what we call, 'poi' - two chains with waits on the end that you can light. Through practising it has become an obsession and in my free-time it seems like I am doing nothing else.Nice use of the subjunctive there should get u extra brownie points. Hope this is a helpAlex.Quoique se soit l'epreuve, il'y aura ce cirque de feu, ce sera ma fleuve.

it's not that i mean to set things on fire...

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
ufo8mycat, I would not recommend Firepoi-boy to use what you wrote for a class, it has a lot of errors. Sorry...Shit, I keep criticizing here and I'm one of the only French people on this board (together with the other frog smile). So here's something you can work with (it's not great, keep in mind i'm not a poet!):Je fais tourner le feu pres de mon corps. Le bruit assourdissant de ces deux boules de feu me fait peur... et m'attire a la fois. Apres un certain temps, mes yeux se ferment et je laisse mon corps bouger librement, affranchi de la peur de me bruler. Le son des flammes qui fendent l'air, l'intense lumiere qu'elles degagent, et la chaleur qui se deplace autour de moi me placent dans une transe organique. Je suis dans ma bulle, coupe du monde, isole. Le feu, force primaire, n'est plus que le prolongement de mon enveloppe physique et vit au travers de mes membres. Mon corps danse avec les flammes, dans une chasse permanente ou ils ne se touchent jamais completement. Chaque revolution de la flamme la rend plus faible. Elle mincit tout doucement, le jaune brillant laissant la place a un bleu larmoyant. Elle finit par disparaitre, noyee dans un nuage de fumee dont l'odeur me sort progressivement de ma transe. J'ouvre les yeux, tout doucement, et ma grande surprise, je continue de voir des cercles de lumieres bouger devant moi.Sorry but I'm too tired to translate it. Cassandra, maybe you can help before heading to your first morning meeting? smileNomad------------------Anthelionwww.anthelion.org

cryogenicmember
34 posts

Posted:
on the subject of french, has anyone else noticed that the Russian president Vladimir Putin's surname is quite similar to the French word for.. um.. "promiscuous lady" .. wink------------------If at first you don't succeed, tell everyone you did and hope they don't ask you to prove it...

If at first you don't succeed, tell everyone you did and hope they don't ask you to prove it...

4,224 posts

Posted:
::cassandra yawns, half awake from a very bad and too short night::Nomad, sweetie, your text is *really* nice... quite poetic indeed. ah French men ! such smooth talkers and poets wink But, buddy, I *really* cannot translate this piece of poetry cause i'd destroy its beauty with my poor english !!!!!!!!!!!!Catboy, yes, french is the language of love - and my boyfriend says it's cute wink- but it is also damn good for inventive cursing !Story teller, cursing in French, since we are a latin country , revolves mainly around mothers. the most famous curse (and yet not too bad) being now "ta mère en short" = "your mother wears boxer shorts" or something ike that . basically : nonsense and absurd are the rule for intelligent cursing.two of my favourites are "nom d'un sac à papier" = "in the name of a paper bag" and "nain de jardin" = "garden gnome" (you know ? those statues in kitschy gardens ? Sorcha, ROFL !!!! awfull spelling but hilarious sentences !!!! smileCryogenic... yes Putin is somewhat close to ... "putain" whichis THE favourite curse / word in Paris. It does mean hore, is used as often as you use "fuck" but to express anything "Putain , j'ai perdu mes clefs "(f*** I lost my keys) or "putain qu'est-ce-que t'es belle" (f*** you're so gorgeous) .HORS SUJET = OFF TOPIC !!!!!sorry !I was wondering... since we say "ballet nautique" for waterdancing, why not ... ballet de feu for fire dancing ? and how about , instead of danseur de feu ... Pyrodanseur ? (yeah, I know ... ugly ? but technical and clearer that danseur de feu which just reminds me of "danse avec les loups" (danses with wolves). What do you guys think ?It is one thing to be poetic, and for that french would definitely find caressing , passionate, amazing words to describe friedancing, but to find a word , better than "poier" (which is the word I use) ??? not sure...Assez de blabla, je dois me mettre au travail smileshine onCassandra

catboymember
167 posts

Posted:
i can only agree... however japanese is a better language for swearing as hardly anyone has a f#*@in' clue what your on about!au reviorcatboy san confused

you can take the cat out of the jungle, but you cant take the jungle out of the cat

4,224 posts

Posted:
I might even add that the "best japanese curser" award should be shared between Osaka people and Tokyo people. Both have hilarious ways of cursing and insulting others !!!Shine onCassandra

Mushinkatomember
164 posts

Posted:
Oooohh la laaaa .. Mon Dieu !! Mes ouefs !! smile------------------Kato

Kato

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
my eggs??? confusedI am currently failing French at Alevel..........

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

Mushinkatomember
164 posts

Posted:
Oui Oui mon cherie.. mes ouefs.. tee hee grinJe fait la wheeeeee shwingy shwingy avec mes grandes balls de feu and they both went ffllooop-da-loop com un spaceship on re-entry and fait un huge badaboom badaboom dans mes poor ouefs. Oooh lala.. ca cest tres bloody painful !! Hurt like hell in fact. Je ne recommendes ca pas du tout !! Je voudrais les ouefs nouvo s'il vous plait. Aves vous des new ouefs pour vendes.?? smileps: Vous voules swingy swingy avec my grand boules of feu ce soir..??------------------Kato[This message has been edited by Mushinkato (edited 25 January 2002).]

Kato

4,224 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link
désolée, mais je n'ai pas d'oeufs à te donner , Kato wink

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Mushin(vanDamme)kato - I don't speak French and I kinda understood that - funny, I think!! smile
quote:
cassandra putain qu'est-ce-que t'es belle
moi? merci mon peu de français miel!Does this work?mon beurre est comme votre chien sur la chaleurthis?Je tournoie le feu autour de mon corps pour le plaisir[This message has been edited by Bendy (edited 25 January 2002).]

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Mushinkatomember
164 posts

Posted:
Mushin(vanDamme)kato !! HAHAHAH !!!! grin grin grin Ca c'est le funniest thing I've heard yet !!!ps: Vien ici.. petite chouffluer wink wink J'aves une cadeaux por toi. Cest un 'oooh' and a 'aaaah' and a grande'OOOH' !! wink wink------------------Kato[This message has been edited by Mushinkato (edited 25 January 2002).]

Kato