• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Social Chat > creativity vs the other side...

Login/Join to Participate

spherespinner

spherespinner

Total posts: 38
Posted:Been wondering for while whether it is possible to have a "serious" real job when u have a creative/imaginative soul that is always dreaming?

My line of work is science and I find that my fiery nature clashes against the mundane, facutal day to day work I do. I get the feeling of "out" a lot... ie.. to get out.. leave the society that dicatates towards a decent money earning job.. and instead go away and become an albeit probably broke.. performer of sorts.

So is it possible for the two halves of my life to co-exist... or will my creative side keep bashing away until I run off and join the circus? ubbrollsmile

inner struggles.. grrrrr....

smile
Start chasing dreams.... one day u may catch them..

Delete Topic

vanize
SILVER Member since Aug 2001

vanize

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3899
Posted:it's totally possible. I do it all the time, though I must admit that sometimes I feel like I have a split personality. and there are things I wish I could do that I can't. But then again, my serious job enables me to do a lot of things I wouldn't be able to do otherwise.

But also, my serious job follows in the path of my ultimate dreams, so that makes it easier to reconcile the differences. My career, my dreams, and my "other side" are not misaligned in my philosophy, even if other people see them as disjoint.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Delete

telic

I don't want a title.

Total posts: 940
Posted:Yes. It can be done. And honestly, it feels good to have that sort of balance. All my various activities, serious and non, spring fom the same basic set of mental states, anyway. Even the serious career is a way for me to play.

Just look at the people on these boards:

NYC is a teacher.

Lightning is a nigh-doctor.

I'm a nigh-lawyer.

pounce is a therapist.

vanize is a physicist.

I know a whole lot of people here do computer-related work. (programming, network security, tech support, etc.)

The list goes on and on... those are just the few that I was actually able to remember.

E pluribus unum, baby.

Delete

bluecat

bluecat

geek, level 1

Total posts: 5300
Posted:
it must be tricky i know, jo hug

can you while away the time spent waiting for experiments to finish by dreaming creative stuff?

i've been trying to use my science background to help my poi/staff/juggling over the last couple of weeks with great success... cause of the analysis involved... and i think you'd be very good at that.

(just have to train your mind to analyse personal movement rather than external stuff)

anyway.

g'luck with it either way

hugs
R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Delete

Doc Lightning
GOLD Member since May 2001

Doc Lightning

HOP Mad Doctor

Total posts: 13920
Posted:As a medical student and a spinner, I just find that I like to do both. I love medicine enough that I'm willing not to poi for a living, but I love both and do both.

-Mike )'(
Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

"A buckuht 'n a hooze!" -Valura

Delete

spritie
SILVER Member since Sep 2001

spritie

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 2014
Posted:What type of science do you do?

I'm a statistician who does pure research at the moment. To me, it is really creative. I get to use tricks I've learned in the past to cope with new concepts and ideas, and when those don't work, I get to figure out completely new ideas to help acheive my goal. Of course, I'm working in a very new field (proteomics), so that may have something to do with it.

I could see how running the same 2D gel technique over and over again could get kinda dull.

Delete

Doc Lightning
GOLD Member since May 2001

Doc Lightning

HOP Mad Doctor

Total posts: 13920
Posted:Quote:
I could see how running the same 2D gel technique over and over again could get kinda dull.

Oh, the flashbacks... mad

-Mike )'(
Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

"A buckuht 'n a hooze!" -Valura

Delete

Dunc
GOLD Member since Aug 2003

Dunc

playing the days away

Total posts: 7263
Posted:I suppose it depends on your own mind set Spherespinner but it can be possible.
I work full time in logistics and I'm studying it part time too. But the only reason to do it is (purely capitalistic) for the money. The money gives me the chance to travel, have a nice safe home, and feel somewhat secure in this hectic world but come 4:15 each evening I switch off.....go home to the friends I live with, write/record songs, spin my poi and most importantly keep myself smiling as much as possible!
I'd love to run away to a spinning/guitaring circus but sometimes it just aint possible, and I'd have to sacrifice a lot to do it.
If you've got the balls (physical or metaphysical) break free and live a performers life....so long as it will give you what you really want in life. Could you actually live without both?

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Delete

spherespinner

spherespinner

Total posts: 38
Posted:Thanks for the advise guys..... much appreciated hug

What science do I do?... well I must admit it is pretty diverse .. but essentially I run a molecular biology research laboratory... and I get to do stuff that has never been done before which is pretty cool... but... I dunno.. sometimes I think it would be more fun doing something that deals more with people.. rather than test-tubes.... rolleyes

I agree there has to be a balance though... between working to earn enough money to do the things u want to ... and doing what u want to do just for the fun of it. It would be kewl though to earn enough money by doing just what u consider fun smile ok ... I am a dreamer.....

I believe the world out there is what u make of it.. and many interesting paths are not taken by people because they are afraid to break away from the main road.... I hope I don't become one of those people...

Darn my scientific.. analytical mind that seeks to analyse the meaning of... well ... everything...!!

weavesmiley

smile
Start chasing dreams.... one day u may catch them..

Delete

Eera
BRONZE Member since May 2003

old hand

Total posts: 1107
Posted:Is there a way you can work towards what you really want to do?

I'm a geotechnical engineer but I realy want to pencil comics, so in my spare time I take on scripts from guys I know through digital webbing, with the aim of becoming proficient enough to be up there with Ha and Mignola at some point. Two or ten years? Who knows.

There was a quote from The Office which I'm going to have to paraphrase because I don't remember it verbatum, it went along the lines of "You're born, you go to school, you work for fourty years, you retire and do what you want for ten and then you die. The only thing that makes it worthwhile is if you enjoyed the bit in between." We get so caught up in the whole working-for-the-money and not for the enjoyment of it thing that we forget about the dreams and aspirations we had. If you know what it is you truely want then you should be able to go for it. usually it's fear of failure that holds us back.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Delete

Tao Star

Tao Star

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 1662
Posted:Quote:
We get so caught up in the whole working-for-the-money and not for the enjoyment of it thing that we forget about the dreams and aspirations we had. If you know what it is you truely want then you should be able to go for it. usually it's fear of failure that holds us back.

I agree entirely. I'm now studying to be a satge manager and designer. Even though there's absolutely no money in it whatsoever ( ubbloco) it's one of the best things i've ever done ubbrollsmile

Go for whatever you want to do and you'll be happier i promise smile wave

peace

TS.XxX

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

Delete

musashii

musashii

starring Skippy the green llama

Total posts: 1148
Posted:oi, thats almost what my room mate is doin..He's studyin to be a set designer, r somethin like that..He's a scene shop foreman for his college, not great pay but he gets to build sets for plays like Faustus n such, n he loooves it..

I usually end up coding more than doin graphic design, but both are still great creative outlets, I almost always have full control over how something is carried out or looks, so I get to design it myself. Codings kind of like making your own puzzle n solving it. Still kind of dry work, so I have to find other things to do, like dj, or make art thats just for me wink I dunno if I could even work in a job where I couldn't use creativity, unless I get off my ass n go for the higher grades of pilot certification so I can fly commercial or freight, that wouldn't be so bad

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

Delete