Forums > Social Chat > Open letter of thanks to Malcolm

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
protozoaGOLD Member
148 posts

Posted:
I sent this letter to Malcolm & CCed it to our local mailing list, but thought I'd post it here as well. Can I get a second? Is there a 'here here!' in the house?--Hi, Malcolm. Okay I'm here to send you an honest-to-god fan letter. Your site has done wonderful things for me and quite a number of people in my area (Baltimore, MD, USA..45 min north of Washington DC, 3 hrs or so south of New York City by car). I first picked up the poi in September while visiting a friend of mine in Richmond, VA started learning from _her_ friends in New York. I didn't know anyone in my area who was doing it (Richmond is also about 3 hours away, so needless to say I don't see my friend very often). I'd always been mystified by it when I saw the skilled fire dancers at Burning Man and other outdoor events, but never thought I could do it. My Richmond friend referred me to your site for lessons when she couldn't be around to teach me herself and helped me make a set of practice chains and beanbags (made from old socks and lentils). Soon after finding your site, I added my own entry on the 'meet others' database & two weeks later heard from a seasoned spinner from San Francisco, who told me that he was a frequent visitor to the Baltimore area, and suggested we get together. He brought me a set of the beautiful streamer poi, and I got super addicted to them and started practicing an hour or more per day. I've never been much of a performer and I've never called myself an artist. I'm a simple unix administrator with a rather dull government job. When it comes to expressive extracurricular activity I typically have engaged myself behind-the-scenes; helping others build their projects or operating the sound and light boards. The experience of learning and practicing, and more recently, teaching and performing with the poi, has completely changed my life. I've learned nearly every move on the 'poi lessons' page and I so enjoy reading the interactions on the lively discussion board. While I once remarked to fire dancers that they made it look so easy, now other people are saying that to me.Perhaps best of all is the way others have picked up the poi after seeing me do it. Almost every one of my friends is now learning, either with homemade equipment or borrowing mine, and several are eagerly awaiting their own streamers in the mail. The San Francisco fellow is now one of my best friends. And we started up our own regional mailing list a month ago, currently with a membership of 22 and growing! Last night my _second_ poi student lit the wicks (a pair of wicks built by my _first_ student, no less!) for the first time. Five of us got together on a public square in the middle of town to trade tips and show off for the locals a little. A woman approached us and asked if she could join in; I expect to see her subscribe to our list pretty soon too. I've heard stories about other parts of this country where poi spinners jealously guard their secrets from each other, where 'plagarizing' each others' moves is considered a horrific thing to do and they actively discourage newbies from learning the craft. The way I see it, poi is just too good to keep to myself. I can't help but share and am only too happy to help others get the indescribable benefit I've gotten out of this. And I'm so grateful for your site. Suffice it to say that without it, I'd still be spinning by myself in my backyard. Our group (we call ourselves the Baltimore Calefaction Society) will be putting together a large equipment order from your store soon; partially because we need more streamer sets for incoming newbies and some of us (like me!) are ready to be owners of our own fire wicks. We also see it as a way to support you in your endeavor which has been so beneficial to all of us, and to thank you with more than simple words. I hope your site is around for a long time. A thousand thanks for all your great work!Cheers,protie

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

Written by: TinklePants

YOU SHOULD BE THANKING ME FIRST! lol

I honestly wrote 3 different posts trying to explain that this thread predates your thread by 4 years but they all came across as mean.

Now I'm sounding condescending. frown

Um... this thread was started in 2001 so trying to cough or asking for thanks for you not doing a search in the first place probably isn't the best course of action.

In fact, you're implying that someone is doing exactly what you have not seen that you are guilty of.

I find that funny. ubblol

There.... that wasn't bitchy at all, was it? biggrin

Ummm it was a private joke.... I.e. mynci and screech have both hooked up with my two of my sisters, thanks to me:D i'm v happy for them....

nevermind... *sigh*

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
yay malcolm, im gonna second, third, fourth...whatever we're up to now!!! you rock man!

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Hooking up with people from HoP? That sounds sketchy.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
not when its for spinny goodness

hug for Malcolm

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

Hooking up with people from HoP? That sounds sketchy.

ubblol

Meh

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
WOW! This thread takes me way back. The post from Finn on page one of this thread was written a few days after we all first met. We then shared an amazing journey, formed a professional fire troupe, had some wickedly fun times and helped each other through the less fun times. Also set me up with the psy community here in Sydney; something I've called home for years now.

Yay for Malcolm. The man changed my life.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Psycho_lemmingSILVER Member
Running hippy spinning lemming
15 posts

Posted:
hug Malcolm hug

Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering...

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Written by: flash fire

formed a professional fire troupe, had some wickedly fun times and helped each other through the less fun times.

I miss Finn and Frenzie ubblove Loads more fun than that Flash Fire chick...

*makes a mad dash for the door*

rolleyes hug wink

Meh

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
*finger hovers undecidedly over the BAN CANTUS button*

wink

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
FF, honey, the button is broken from overuse. wink

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Least they cared enough to make a whole button for me biggrin ubblove bounce2

Meh

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
Yeah!!! Big up to Malcolm. Some of the people i have met from HOP have since become some of my favorite (and least favourite lol) people in the world!! The toys and tips are ace,and the people involved are all very helpful and friendly...

Three Cheers!!!

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Well, I figured I'd just go ahead and bump this.

Malcolm, Cherry, Jesse, 7 of 9, and Conan:

Thank you for:
Picking me up at the airport; it's always nice to have someone meet you in a strange place.
Your hospitality, home-cooked meals, and a warm bed.
Treating me like part of the family.
Putting up with my insane demand that I must swim an hour each day.
Showing me around Christchurch.
Showing me the real HoP.

But most of all, Malcolm, thank you for creating this amazing community in which we play. Thank you for providing this grey cyber-world in which I have met so many amazing and colorful people who have enriched my life, challenged me to change my ways, and shared in my triumphs and setbacks.

Thanks to what you've created here, I have traveled all the way to Australia and New Zealand, places I've only visited once before at age 16, and found that this place is FULL of good friends. Even if they all talk funny. wink

There are even children who owe their lives to you, Malcolm. How many HoPers have met on this site and had kids? In your quiet, unassuming way, you have accomplished something truly extraordinary here. You yourself may not appreciate it, but we sure do. hug2

Finally, I want you to know how impressed I was by Jesse. He is the smartest, most articulate, funniest kid his age I've ever met. And in my line of work, I've met a LOT of kids! I am certain that he will grow into an intelligent, articulate, funny, confident, and probably very handsome man. I'll look forward to following him as he grows.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you. Please and come visit me in California. ubblove

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
that's a hell of an endorsement. Now all those Obama voters know who they should have been voting for!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

MagicStuntsBRONZE Member
stranger and stranger
19 posts

Posted:
Really, really useful site, always has been. At the risk of sounding repetitive, hey, well done Malcolm, and thanks for all the work you put into it

Got a brand new gallery

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Wow.

This thread is 8 years old! eek

Page: