SpannerBRONZE Member
remembers when it was all fields round here
2,790 posts

Posted:
Did anyone else have any thoughts on today's ceremonies?
This year, I could hardly bear to watch as Tony Blair placed a wreath at Whitehall
But I did, and to me, his insincere and hasty nod at the Cenotaph said it all

"I thought you are man, but
you are nice woman.

yay,

:R"

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
you have your remembrance ceremony on the 9th? What date does that represent?

Ours is on november 11th, the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month (How nice of them to prolong the end of ww1 so they could have such a nifty date)

SpannerBRONZE Member
remembers when it was all fields round here
2,790 posts

Posted:
We have Remembrance ceremonies on the Sunday before November 11th and another two minute silence on that day. Probably don't have the ceremony on the actual day because it usually falls on a weekday and Brits are too stingy to let people have the day off for it "I thought you are man, but
you are nice woman.

yay,

:R"

Laytinmember
111 posts

Posted:
Excuse me?
quote:
Ours is on november 11th, the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month (How nice of them to prolong the end of ww1 so they could have such a nifty date)

Please tell me that you honestly dont think that! That is a grave insult. Please tell me that this was not an attepmt to belittle the sacrifices made by the many many men and women who served their countries and others so that the world would not be condemed by the ensueing tyranny! There will be words exchanged if this was anything more than a misinterpritation on my part. Wisdom calls aloud in the street, she raises her voice in the public squares; at the head of noisy streets she cries out, in the gateways of the city she makes her speech:

pavementmember
121 posts

Posted:
Watching Bliar and Bush at their ceremonies was absolutely disgusting. To see them laying wreaths in honor of people they sent to their deaths for such an unjust cause was just too much to take.

These men have blood on their hands - i dont know how they sleep at night..

Mr Handsmember
64 posts

Posted:
WW1 ended on the 11th of the 11th of the 11th because originally most wars ended at 12, they stopped at 11 because they believed that no war could possibley be any worse and as a result changed the times to ry and mark it differently as a milestone for a lasting and tolerant peace... not because they were trying to be artistic with the bodycount.