Forums > Help! > Know the score as regards the law??

Login/Join to Participate

MaDMouSeFiReBoYmember
49 posts

Posted:
Hi all,
just wondering if anyone out there knows the ins-and-outs as regards the laws in the UK for busking, fire busking and that kinda thing.

Im up for doing this, got a kinda act, costume and the like together, BUT dont want hassles from the local long arm of the law???

So...anyone else there performing on the streets of the UK?? Know the score as regards the law??

MMFB

Distorted sex drive in space was already known to be a sticky knoblem - BRASS EYE

vaperloc...the mightylook @my member
466 posts

Posted:
busking?

There are no obstacles only challenges.
Very funny scotty now beam down my pants.
[colour."green"}What would willie do?

AHH theres too many wee leprechauns i cannae squash them all

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Street performing

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
well I aint sure totally on what the laws are but I have busked in Bristol,

norwich and london and I have never had any hassle from anyone .

I have a feeling that it is a local authority decision . I think

to find out you should phone up your local authority and ask.

I am a law student and have access to a law library and

I shall have a look when I get back to college to see what the deal with

street performers is

cause there will be something mentioned

safe

[garbo]

be excellent to each other: safe:

MaDMouSeFiReBoYmember
49 posts

Posted:
Cheers [Garbo], any info would be greatfully recieved (especially as regards fire perfomances, but just busking is also of big interest!)

May Angels cover your path in life with the sweet scent of roses and water lillies!

(OR just THANKS....the simple version!)
MMFB

Distorted sex drive in space was already known to be a sticky knoblem - BRASS EYE

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Not meaning to sound like the big bad daddy figure, but please don't take anyone's advice on laws or legality off a bulletin board on the WWW...

They might be wrong and you could land in a whole heap of trouble.

Please back-up yourself with any advice given by checking with local authorities. The best way is to try and find public records of incidents or cases where the laws have been put to the test. These are usually all public records and not as hard as people think to get hold of.

In the end of the day, laws are always open to interpretation. This means make sure you back yourself up with ethical and moral actions all the time, and the judge is likely to be lenient shoudl it all go to pot.

Yellng abuse at authorities for not following laws that some guy told you was legal, is often what happens when the sh*t hits the fan, and the worst way to get yourself out of the fan and into the fryer.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

MaDMouSeFiReBoYmember
49 posts

Posted:
No Worries Charles, Ive been told a million times that I should have had more of a father figure in my life (can everyone go "aaaaaaah"???)

:-)

But thanx for the warning!

...and shouting abuse, not my style! Im more likely to get involved in peaceful, direct actions than scream and shout!

...but again, the concern is nice!

MMFB

vaperloc...the mightylook @my member
466 posts

Posted:
I dont know holland law but there are a few states in the us that consider any use of flammable substances(firecrackers gas kerosene) other than just fuel, as needing an explosives licence.

There are no obstacles only challenges.
Very funny scotty now beam down my pants.
[colour."green"}What would willie do?

AHH theres too many wee leprechauns i cannae squash them all

AntonyBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
I know they do street performance outside the Fridge in Brixton on a friday night (or did do back when Escape From Samsara was on) but I'd imagine they were hired by the Fridge to keep us punters happy in the queue whilst waiting (they were nice like that, even gave the queue brolly's in the rain...)

The police have a duty to protect the public from harm, so if they decide that the middle of the subway(underpass)/Oxford Street etc isn't safe then they could move you along... Not sure about the 'actual' law though....

NadishomeLiving life to the full!
177 posts

Posted:
I looked into a while back and was with the understanding that you need to get a bussking liscence from your local authority. You then have right to perform/busk within that area and within their guidelines.

Best option is just to go into your local council office and ask them! Most places have a booklet about it!!!

I know their was a case in the paper last year about loads of people being taken to court because they didnt have liscences and so its better to be safe than sorry!

Good luck mate

Life is short!
So lets leave a mark,
for people to remember!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
YAY for people bumping old threads instead of just being lazy and starting a new one.

hug

smile