Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > That move dom showed me that i'm sure drew does too... read on for a description and

Login/Join to Participate

Traveling Kyrimember
28 posts

Posted:
Ok, i dunno what the chances are of me attracting someone who can help are, but Nix? and Mineiro must be out there somewhere too....

It's the one where you spin it down ur arm, then around ur neck and then down ur other arm to ur hand. altho it's only one spin on each. The second half is going well enough- most of the time- ok, some of teh time

but how on earth do you spin it down ur first arm slowly enough to not whakc urself in the head? i can kind of spin it down my arm not too fast, but it invaribly whacks me in the head instead of going around my neck like it's supposed to.

suggestions???? do you even know what i'm talking about????

peace & love, kyri

Situations defined as real are real in their consequences.

Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:

yep.
when you start it must be in front of you, not off to the side so it has less distance to travel. also start the roll down the arm immediately after the staff end has passed your head so you have 1 entire spins worth.... and SLOW!!!! to start with anyway.

would write more but in a rush... hope this helps...
love
R

brain replacement...anyone?

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
out of the depth of the misty town of edinburgh he lurks ocasionally into the board reaping knowledge and good will.
cheers for the contact lessons rob, i dont think i have put my staff down since my visit north.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yeah, as rob says start the roll down just as the end passed your head, it should be spinning so that it goes round the back of the neck not the front, thats much harder.

also, to avoid over rotation spin in the direction of the staff a little as you do it so that relative to you body it spins slower. hope this helps.

Nix?

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
This sounds really interesting. Would one of you good people who knows how to do this trick please discibe it for me, please.

Jesus helps me trick people.

tonemanmember
195 posts

Posted:
I think that this is the same move on Drew's video... called the 'steve' on the flick. Excellent vid!!! I'd post a link, but I'm not good like that...

Merry Christmas

tonemanmember
195 posts

Posted:
FROM a palm spin very close to your head, anti clockwise looking up at your staff in right hand, as it passes your head, flip your hand over and allow it to roll down to your forearm. I worked on just rolling it down until it was smooth, then started from the palm spin. You don't have to work much to keep it spinning down your arm, you just have to keep it centered. When it reaches your neck, kinda pinch your neck with right shoulder to kind of throw it around to the left. If you did this properly, it should spin fairly flat. Allow end to pass under your chin, and move your left arm to right to initiate the roll up the left arm.

Hope this makes some sense...

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
and in walks nix too hahaha

drews vid!!!

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
wot they said

I really should have actually learnt to spin staff before travelling round showing people vague moves I kinda know or I think are possible. But I like to think actually showing them a full move would be far too easy for them

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
it ocurs to me that learing new things to do with fire is a process of groping round in the dark... till you find the matches and then, wooooosh!

ya dont have to hand close to the head, this move can be dome from a back-of-hand flatspin held away from the body, its a matter of timing and confidence to keep your arm strait.

l8er

N

-><- Kallisti

Traveling Kyrimember
28 posts

Posted:
Thx everyone
I am trying to keep my crazy little staffs under control

Hopefully I'll even know a few thinngs before I come see all you guys in the UK.

Btw, I have an awful time downloading, so I havn't really seen drew's vid.... once, and was impressed, but not enough to learn from it.
(Someone had it already)

Anyhow, much love, I'll let ya guys know how it goes.

Peace & Love, Kyri

Situations defined as real are real in their consequences.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
oh, thats a point, yous is gonna find this trick much harder with any staff shorter than about 4.5 feet. this is cos long things are easier to ballance (the degrees of change beingh larger at the ends.) so if you using a little 3 foot staff and having difficulties, this may be why. That means you too cassandra!

Love

N

-><- Kallisti

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I suppose 4 ft is out too then?

Btw, glass, check ur email!

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Or - as in my case - 5ft is very long and being an 'ickle person this means lots of bravery as it come's VERY close to my face sometimes. Fire is going to scary...

Kyri - you making your way Surrey-wards on your travels to see your prodigal brother?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
4 foot might be alright, specially if you weight the ends, I tend to mesure staffs to bodys proportianlly, chin height is good. the weight helps the staff maintain momentum.

N

-><- Kallisti

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
The ends are well weighted, but four foot is chest height on me.....

and yes, i will travel to surrey sometime this summer i suspect...

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....