Morkehmember
1 post

Posted:
Hehe Me first post!!!
I cant seem to find a comfortable way of doing a dual staff foward figure of eight/ ninja move
Could anyone help me with this since its driving me slowly nuts!

Calm of mind, Control, Peace.

Khameleanmember
42 posts

Posted:
Need to be more specific, do you mean weave alternating or simultaneous(Crossover)??

Q:Whay do you keep hiting yourself in the head with that hammer?A:Cos, it just feels so good when i stop...

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yeah, theres three diffrent ways of figure eights with doubles, not counting shoulder rolls. both staffs can be going the same direction, the opposite direction, and opposite direction butterfly. play with the diffrent ways the staff will move and try reversing one or the other hand. humm.

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Hmm...Morkeh. That really made me start thinking...

All of my figure8 moves with doubles are sideways, rather than forward. This means each staff spins in a plane in front of my chest and then behind my back.

There's a few transitions and pirouettes where this isn't the case, but I have to admit,a continous forwards move is a lot harder than I would have originally thought.

After experimenting, the way my doublestaff figure8's work, the majority of the work is from the elbows down with my bicep (does anyone have a better term for the bit of arm above your elbow?) moving very little.

Comparing this to the single figure8, the whole motion is similar, but much wider, with a lot more bicep movement and a much greater movement of the elbow whilst in motion. The double figure8 seems to have the elbow reasonably stationary.

This is making me look at my doubles motions much closer. Suddenly there is either a pychosomatic comfort zone or an actual biological restriction.

My apologies I can't help directly with your initial request, however I would suggest the advice already given, such as looking at a weave variant may make things move better, although obviously not a true figure8 movement.

Blimmin' 'Eck! You've given me a lot of work to do now...

[ 27 May 2002, 14:30: Message edited by: Charles (INFERNO) ]

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
I gotta thing that goes in fron widda doubles, its like the 'scoop' move alternate.

one scoop move:

staff is spinning backwards infront of the body (either side of your head), on the same side as your grasping arm take the staff behind you and bring it back with the sholder roll, (extra half turn by twisting your shoulder). repeat.

two scoop move:

each hand does as above taking turns to go behind the back. You can get really clever and add a half twist onto the forward arm under your shoulder. changes the rythum.

this move can be seriously fast, but the only time I really drew blood with my staffs is doing it, so have fun!

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti