Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > twirling staff is not an indoor activity!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
spicychickenmember
19 posts

Posted:
okay kiddies!*looks at various marks on ceiling*

nattymember
14 posts

Posted:
MMMMHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MMMHHHHHHHHHHHHH......................... why are thousands of twirlers in america but none in europe?why does nobody twirl with me? ###SNIFF###and....how can i put smilies into my replies? im sorry, stupid question,....... but i really donno.------------------ ###surrounded by natty###

###surrounded by natty###

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Word to the Wise Natty...Firstly:Try to stay on topic with replies as it leads to confusion. I know - I do it more than most.Secondly:For local twirlers check the "Meet Others" section ( https://www.homeofpoi.com/meetothers.htm
)Thirdly:For smilies go here:https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/smilies.htmlor just click on "Smilies Legend" next to the reply box.I'll twirl with you if you come to Surrey! Although I do poi not staff...(Points?)

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

nattymember
14 posts

Posted:
right! thats a word! thanks. im just a little confused sometimes...------------------ ###surrounded by natty###

###surrounded by natty###

SurlochSILVER Member
64 posts

Posted:
I knocked the tube out of my light fitting a few weeks ago. My floor is tiles as well, so the glass went everywhere frownSuffice to say, I don't to the windmill indoors anymore grin

Ní mar a síltear a bítear

“Things may not be as they seem to be”

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I have a drop ceiling in my house (not my idea) and I spend an aweful lot of time it seems having to replace the pannels I have knocked out of place, or vaccuuming up plaster chips on the floor from where I bonked and they took off flying!I agree, for me, windmill's with staves are the most dastardly move, but it is just such fun! winkMy house-mates have gotten used to the thwacking noise and now sleep through it! smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Never tried staff inside, but poi works a treat!!! (I have these nice soft bean-baggy ones that make a nice soft thud sound on walls, but a "crash-tinkle-tinkle" sound on glass ornaments owned by flatmates)...

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Chandleemember
5 posts

Posted:
I'm currently on my fourth light fitting and my wardrobe door has a lovely dent in it. I really can't help destroying everything - sometimes it's raining, but you still really want to do poi! My ceiling is high enough, just that damn light!

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo,just got my electro glowstick thingy and its the perfect indoor staff, its so small I can even throw it, hehe.can do a shoulder roll with it too, much to my suprise, bit hairy tho...LoveN

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I have a three foot peice of closet rod that I use as an indoor staff to keep my spins and transitions looking clean. Can't do shoulder wraps, or really any wraps to speak of, but it's better than freezing my ass off some nights.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
When I was learning to juggle, I used to throw a looped piece of string around the light fitting, pull it out of the way more and then tie the other end to the doorhandle.It stopped it hanging right down in the middle of the room and pulled it up and to the left.It made me feel safer, however once i used some bailing twine and it melted and left a little blob on my carpet, make sure you use something more natural for string...------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

spicychickenmember
19 posts

Posted:
interesting stories guys ;]

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
:looks up:heh, i love vaulted ceilings, no way my staff or poi will ever reach way up there...though i seem to forget that my room is the only one in the house with these, and when i walk into the other rooms i tend to set the ceiling fans in motion...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I spin doubles inside. And my house is real small. I think you should be able to spin in any conditions and should therefore be able to adapt to your surroundings. A theory inspired by Josh and Katinca's storm drain exploits.Plus a symptom of my addiction means I have to spin all the time, whenever and where ever I am regardless of anything.------------------C@ntusThere's only one way of life and that's your own.

Meh

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Sometimes I've been known to poi down my hallway. Helps with keeping the poi parallel winkYeah, I reckon being able to do it in confined spaces is great.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
*holds tongue* Anything I say now will be crude and unnecessary so I'll remain quiet.

Meh

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I like to move around a lot while doing it, I need the space to change positions and stances quite a lot. So confined spaces are interesting sometimes, but not the best for maximum enjoyment.Sometimes I do it one handed while on the phone, but I always get tangled up in the long phone cord. wink

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Two broken spot lights that are well expensive to replace... one broken vase that mum gave to me.. I've banished myself to outdoors! Only one problem.. I can only spin fire when I get home coz it's too dark to see my other ones! ROLL ON SUMMER - light evenings, and warmth.. (but the fire warms me up at the mo...) grinOops just noticed this is a *staff* indoor thread - sorry.[This message has been edited by RedDragon (edited 23 February 2002).]

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
RedDragon...I think it is turning into a more of a spinning indoor thread! (and am thinking of moving it because of that to social and see what gets put in here!)Electroglo staves are great for indoor spinning but can still do some damage...Like to a statuary of a gargoyle knocked off a table. wink (Um...oops?)I use Buzz and comet poi indoors but the tails are still fun to contend with. I've had them gt caught in the sections of my drop ceiling. I was doing some new stuff the other day and was thanking the powers that be that the Buzz are soft bean bag poi as they flew into my computer, the stereo, the chandalier in the dining room (the next "room" over).... I do think it shapes my style and I love spinning on pile carpeting...makes things easier on the knees.**Keep biting your tongue on that one Cantus!!! wink***So when do we get bean bag ended staves? grin------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
hehehe, dom made me laugh

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
... *looks at Whiffle strangely and hands him a bag of M&M's* ... confused grinKinudin

Tikamember
106 posts

Posted:
I have tennis balls at both ends of my staff. It's a bit heavy at first but you get used to it. When it hits anything it just kind of bounces off with little or no damage.

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
I've taken to only using my practice staff with the t-shirts wrapped around the ends for any inside work.My room is pretty big and apart form the cheap chandelier/lamp thing hanging in the middle, it's got lots of room to not break stuff in.Dom, I like to move around too, and indoor practise is a great way to force yourself to keep to tight little patterns and bodyhugging moves that are better for indoor or cramped performances. Its another way to add to your skills, but can be expensive if you forget... grin grin grin Yes Cantus, I know you said it first tonguePele, Beanbags are great aren't they? They actually use 'beans' for effective shock absorption systems in a lot of buidling and machinery now, the little particles spread the shock amongst themselves, especially if the the particles begin with large pieces and continue through to tiny ones...But enough off topic, on to the next post...------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

SteelWngsBRONZE Member
169 posts

Posted:
https://shop.store.yahoo.com/enjutsukai/paddedstaffs.htmlIs
that what your looking for?------------------Blessings to all, Peter "In motion, move like a thundering wave. When still, be like a mountain.Rising up, be like a monkey. Land swiftly and lightly like a bird. Be steadylike a rooster on one leg. One's stance is as firm as a pine tree, yetexpresses motion. Spin swiftly and circularly like a wheel. Bend and flexlike a bow. Waft gracefully like a leaf in the wind. Sink like a heavy pieceof metal. Prey like a watchful, gliding eagle. Accelerate like a gusty wind." Wushu Proverb

Blessings to all,
Peter
When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon ...you just have to outrun the halfling.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
It's not what I was looking for. No.I like the Ask the Samuri section at the top of the page. I asked him 14 seperate questions and he answered a grand total of none of them. I suspect he may have nodded off....

Meh

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Of course he didn't C@ntus, I'll bet you asked him in English. The three Samuris I don't know have a very low grasp of english...:PTry asking in his native tongue...(waits for the reply joke with bated breath)... grin grin grin grin------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

TwirlyVicnorthern monkey
235 posts

Posted:
the samurai is dead... we kilt him!

ahem...

vic xx

ex-hop-aholic, now inconsistent lurker...

TwirlyVicnorthern monkey
235 posts

Posted:
oh and meant to say on subject of indoor staff, have taken some paint off the walls and its weird how my home used to be filled with knickknacks and now strangley theyve all retreated to my flatmates room...

odd that...

vic xx

ex-hop-aholic, now inconsistent lurker...

SmokyDavySILVER Member
Do my poi look too small in this?
394 posts

Posted:
my house has a broken chandelier (poi), two broken light fixture (staff) and a few marks and chipped parts in the paint on the walls and ceiling (everything)..

can't wait for the summer

sarah...member
339 posts

Posted:
Lucky for me, the lights in my house are inside the roof, they dont sick out, but if you look at the roof in the loungerrom, my room andin front of the computer, there are marks everywhere!! and all around the holes where the lights are too.. thank god they are inside te roof, or id be living in darkness!!!!
Also, my practice poi are just like home made hacky sacks on string, sothey are fabulous for indoors! still hurt when you Thwack yOurself in the back of the head though!!
C@antus, yeah, try asking the wise guy in his language!!!

Fire... A bushmans telly

sarah...member
339 posts

Posted:
i think the problem with the samurai guy, is that we're not asking him fequently enough!!! if we all ask about 5 times a day, maybe it will become a fequently asked question, and we'll get an answer
I vote on the question being "whats your favorite colour??"

Fire... A bushmans telly

Page: