Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Any suggestions on staff production/learning

Login/Join to Participate

tricky56member
23 posts

Posted:
I have been spinning poi for about a year now. I need a new challenge and figured why not staff. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as what staff to buy, what type to make, and any helpful advice for people that are brand new to the art. I would appreciate any helpful hints, tips, ideas, or other such things. Thanks Tricky56

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
heya tricky - I'm gonna move this post over to the staff moves section where you'll probably get a better response.I recommend you make your own staff. Wooden or metal, customised to exactly how you want it. I personally would never buy my toys - I get much satisfaction from making all I play with. Everyone that ever shows me a new toy they've just made are always beaming with pride.Aside from reading through the moves threads, you could also purchase the Staff book that is for sale in the shop...

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Go to www.incendium.org look at their staff making page. It's very good.Do i get a pay rise now Mr Draevon?

Meh

Mikemember
9 posts

Posted:
Great site cantus!I think if you start on staffs, you will end up wanting more and more various lengths. Ever thought of devil sticks, these you can juggle with hand pieces, or fingerspin, and are fantastic for hand eye co ordination, and can easily move on to double.

.draevonBRONZE Member
92 posts

Posted:
A pay rise ... hmmm ... lets see.Go to Jenkins's store on the corner and buy the biggest turkey they have in the window ... you know ... the one as big as you. Buy it in my name and have it delivered to Mr Cantus's house. You'll probably need to take a taxi so heres some shiney coins for your journey.No wait ... you ... what day is this.I have a terrible fever.Ðraevonof Incendium Carnivalewww.incendium.org

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I prefer the Muppets' version myself. Where the young lad is played by Bean Bunny......I, er....*tiptoes away again*------------------C@ntusThere's only one way of life and that's your own.[This message has been edited by Cantus (edited 05 January 2002).]

Meh

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Blimmin 'eck!I'm all for meandering topics int hreads but this one's barely had its afterbirth thrown away.Then again, it's probably better not to goad Cantus, as he tends to go off on tangents anyway...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
It wasn't me! *looks imploring around* Draevon went all Dickensian. I was on topic. I was actually being helpful tongue

Meh

tricky56member
23 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the tips, any suggestions as to lengths or diameters to start with or possibly materials that might aid in my learning.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Did we not do this already? OK, try again...go to www.incendium.org/staff.htm That tells you everything you need to make a fully functioning firestaff. Including materials and measurements.I made my 2nd and 3rd staffs using this recipe. I highly recommend it.------------------C@ntusThere's only one way of life and that's your own.

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I also suggest you purchase this book https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop2/details.asp?prodid=502&cat=500&path=500
I found it invaluable when I first started out. And I still refer to it even now occasionally for inspiration.

Meh

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
How quickly does the aluminum staff body heat up with the incendium design? Or does it at all? I've always wonderd, as my staff is built quite differently.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I haven't noticed any undue heating. Warmth maybe.

Meh

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I was asking, as I've been pondering building a staff that has the wicks wraped around the body of the staff, rather then the design I have now that has cathedral fold wicks dangling off the ends with snap hooks. Thought I'd see if I like the normal style better.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

LLcoolPatmember
38 posts

Posted:
Has anyone here ever made or used a staff made out of titanium. I was thinking it might be good due to the light weight and stiffness. Was'nt sure how it conducted heat though. I found some tubing on a website and it was nowhere near as expensive as I thought it would be. I just haven't got around to getting any yet and didn't want to waste my time if someone had tried it and it was lousy.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
llcoolpat - dunno about titanium....I guess it depends on your style. Most people I twirl with actually prefer their staves a little heavier, as the weight behind them keeps the momentum, and therefore fluidity, going better than off-in-the-air light things.As a staffer, its a nice feeling having a solid and weighty length in my hand. smile

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Not to mention that titanium is expensive as f*ck, and the fact that it is very hard to find titanium tubing. I suppose you could work with a solid bar, but attaching your wicks would be more trouble then it's really worth, as titanium is a real bugger to work with. And the only place to get it, as far as I know, is a whole sale metal supplier, and many of them only sell to large companies.But if you find a way around these obsticles I could see the merit in it, but it's a lot more trouble then I want to go through just for a staff, and I build stuff like that for a living. A titanium sword, on the other hand.......------------------If you love something, set it on fire.[This message has been edited by SickpuPpy (edited 07 January 2002).]

LLcoolPatmember
38 posts

Posted:
There is a company called TST in Washington that sells small quantities of titanium tubing and if I remember correctly it was about $2/ft. They wharehouse the stuff in different sizes so that you can probably buy a 10ft tube. There are a lot of different grades of the stuff and it gets more expensive the better it is but you're gonna light it on fire anyway.

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
As a single guy, its a nice feeling having a solid and weighty length in my hand.... oops did I say that out loud? grinon topic - I just finished a couple staffs yesterday (non-fire). They are made from chrome plated steel and are quite weighty. I also have a Al tube still waiting to be magically turned into a firestaff.The chrome looks nice as it reflects any lights nearby as it spins, and the steel gives it a nice heavy feel.I prefer heavy toys (my non-fire poi consist of a 10cm steel bolt wrapped in a tennis ball, foam and tape). I think it is because I don't need to worry about keeping them moving, they do that by themselves; I just have to think about where I want them to go next.Oh and with heavier toys you also have to think about not being where they are going next blush *ouch*

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Tricky56,In terms of customising your first staff, I completely agree with Flashfire.Subtle differences in specific bits in staff design have to be considered, to make the most of it - kinda like happy hour at the brothel really.*ahem*Length/weight: I started with and recommend others to start with a lighter/shorter staff cos it's easier for your wrist to control a lighter staff first. A shorter staff (<1.2m) would be good as shorter staffs allow for twisting actions near your elbow and under your armpits. Generally this is the case if your staff comfortably passes underneath your armpit if your standing the staff up next to you. Longer staffs will prevent fancier under-the-leg limb passes. Longer, heavier staffs are slower but allow great torque for mad palming and limb passing.Diameter: 23mm is good in the hand for palming and grasping from tosses. 'Nuff said.Handel:good musicHandle: a flat rubber grip if ya like palming. A rough and/or raised tennis grip, thick string or similar material is reassuring when you transfer between your hands alot and need to know where the centre of the staff is quickly.Wicks: Each staff end wrapped in 50cm of 2.5" wide 3.2cm thick cotton kevlar (from www.juggleart.com) is a noticeable flame, 4" is awesome! - but 6" or more is diffcult to obtain (often in 1.6mm thickness so it frays more easily - double wicking is a pain in the ass) and the increase in fire from 4" to 6" is not as apparent as 2" to 4" - plus a longer length of wicking on yer staff means the fire is closer to you (i no longer have on my arm below the armpit!)So what do i recommend? buy a broomstick! Lance it at 1.2m if you're 185cm tall! it's cheap so you won't give a fuck if some yob breaks it! aluminium plating/flashing tacked along the broomstick and extending 10cm further towards the staff handel! YELLING! 2.5" wicks cos that's the best value for the amount of fire you'll handel so far! bad music puns! pound the ends of the aluminium flashing into a round shape at either end so that they extend aboot 1cm past the end of the cotton kevlar! that should prevent heaps of wick needlessly fraying when you stuff up a twirl! MORE YELLING! but don't extend the metal part too far out cos the more it potrudes the likelier you'll get hurt! (Bender rubs left ear gingerly then farts) then Come as you are!Hope this Helps!Damn my day job is boring------------------It is said that "Twirler with hand in pocket feel cocky all day." =P

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
an funtimely bump for the seeker of staff contrsuction knowledge, Mr Klaymen!! may obiwan teach you well! peace

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always