Forums > Technical Discussion > Detailed questions about the new LED sticks

Login/Join to Participate

TamimSILVER Member
28 posts

Posted:
Hello, I have a few questions about the LED sticks which I would very much apreciate any answers.

1. Which colour is the brightest? I recall someone saying red LED's are "always" the brightests and most energy effective.

2. What exactly are those fluro colours? I searched fluro in dictionary.com and got no matches.

3. Assuming I were to get two to make a set of poi, does anyone have any experience with mixing colours? i.e. red and green, does it tend to look better or worse when the colours dont match?
I recall one time using a orange and green glowstick, and the orange just wasnt nearly as bright as the green and it just didn't look all to good.

Thank you very much in advance.

Your only one drug away from liking techno.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I got some questions also.

Are they one time use?

If not, what kind of batteries do they take?

How durable are they?

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I've not got any, but I pm'd malcolm a few days ago with similar questions, and: -

the lighter colors, yellow, orange and fluro, are the brightest.

fluro refers to the color of the casing, it's brighter.

They use batteries (I don't know what kind), and they're pretty durable.

===================

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I just got mine! First, they are very light (they weigh less and are less dense than a glowstick), so you'll want to use them with a chain or something on the heavier side.

Second, in general, blue and green make the brightest impression on the human eye. Due to the way that neural information is coded and the pigments in the eye, red is actually perceived as less brilliant than blue or green and doesn't leave a lot of trails.

Third, it appears like they MAY be reusable. But it will take a jeweler's screwdriver to get them open to replace the battery.

Hope this helps. Besides, for US$2 each (about the price of a chemical glowstick), plus S&H you can't go wrong.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

TamimSILVER Member
28 posts

Posted:
What the heck? I thought they were reusable.

Thats like the WHOLE point....!

I would just buy a real glowstick instead if its just a one use stick.

Your only one drug away from liking techno.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Even if the batteries aren't replacable, they still have the advantage that, within the lifetime of the battery, they can be switched on and off; unlike a glowstick which only lasts a few hours.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Tamim: You can turn them on and off and they last for a combined total time of 15 hours of glow, however, you might have difficulty replacing the batteries, which is what he meant by reusable.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
what lightening said about the blue and green making the largest impact on the human eye is correct (has to due with the shorter wavelength and therefore higher energy content of these colors). However, the red, orange, and sometimes yellow LEDs are often made to put off more lumens to compensate for this if it is known they will be bundled with the more intense colors like blue. I have no idea if that is the case for these specific ones being refered to though.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo,

Im a bit concerned about the ecological implications of this, one shot batteries, leds, casings?

do thease things take more energy, are worse or better that cemical glowtoys?

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

WhiteFoxmember
23 posts

Posted:
right now me and my friend are making a led poi head that blinks, shimmers and alternates between blue and white leds. really cool lookin and will last a really long time. it takes a 6volt battery and he sais the battery would last for like 6-10 hours. and ya they bright, they almost gave him a siezure.

for anyone wondering binking is like a strobe and shimering is when it blinks too fast for the eye to see, still, but when you spin it you can see it blinking. so, every time it blinks it shimmers maybe 5 times.

i like pie

Goatfactorymember
3 posts

Posted:
got my new LED-sticks (2) earlier today. I used them for five minutes before one of them went to pieces

KristieEBmember
108 posts

Posted:
a gal i know wrapped and wrapped and wrapped the LED sticks with clear packing tape ... loosely so there were lots of mushy airpockets around them ... so they were cusioned but you could still see the colors fine! in fact it kinda blurred the colors a bit so it didn't seem like the light was just at one end of the stick.

[({PoiToi})]member
98 posts

Posted:
!!! :-D
found THESE https://www.garritylites.com/site/retail_details.php?recid=87

at wal mart for about $2.50 each!
had a few spins with them and they are quite bright, they fit perfectly inside 3/4 inch clear vinyl tubing (at home depot for a few cents a foot) and they have stood up very nicely!
hope this helps...
-- jon

---Formerly known as RaverRomantic---

AIM: RaverRomantic