Forums > Technical Discussion > Misc. Electroglo questions: LEDs, Prices and Choices.

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 123
MillenniuM
MillenniuM

Hyperloops suck

Total posts: 595
Posted:For 58 dollars + 7.50 shipping I can get myself a single-LED 7" Electroglo Poi set. I was wondering if I purchased more LEDs could I simply add more inside the chamber to produce a brighter glow?

I emailed a retailer asking about them, and this is how he responded with what I could buy:

1. $70Aud - short poi - approx. 4" 1 LED per pair
2. $90Aud - longer poi - approx. 7" 1 LED per pair
3. $140Aud - longer poi - approx. 7" 2 LED per pair

Those prices are actually $45.50, $58.50, and $91.00. I'm wondering if I could simply save the 30-ish dollars by ordering the longer poi with 1 LED, and adding another LED to it. Here's a laundry list of my questions:

*Is it worth it to add another LED? Is the effect that much more vibrant?

*Will adding two different colored LEDs produce a pretty effect, or just one ugly muddled color?

*Will any LED do?

*Would I have to daisy chain the two LEDs somehow?

I know I'm asking a lot, but I'm notoriously cautious before purchasing anything above 50 dollars. I want my poi tools to excel past my abilities so I can grow in to them, I'd be disappointed if I had to spend another 60 dollars to correct a past mistake.

Thanks for the help, feel free to answer any or all of the questions, or just throw in some input.

Delete Topic

Malcolm
Malcolm

HOP admin
Total posts: 996
Posted:quote:Originally posted by Paddy:
Why are you clearing out the electroglo, Malcolm? New stock coming in from elsewhere, or are you going to discontinue seeling them? Or something else perhaps?

Just wondering. I would like to get a little bit of money for them and cut my losses. Then should they bring out an improved model I have a spare shelf to put them on.

[ 31. July 2003, 15:55: Message edited by: Malcolm ]

"May your balls always burn"

Delete

Achluophobia
Magical Sock Dancer
Total posts: 255
Posted:I'm going to order a pair tomarrow. I'd like to know a few things first though. What am I going to need to conect my own chains too the electroglows? Can the finger loops that come with it be removed easily removed without doing so much damage to the orginal chords or should I just order a pair? And what kind of chain should I look for?
Sorry about all the questions, I've just never built much of anything before.

Delete

MillenniuM
MillenniuM

Hyperloops suck

Posted:I highly suggest purchasing these:

https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/details.asp?prodid=715&cat=555&path=50,555
br>
I ordered those as well as 6 feet of extra ball chain, because I knew I'd want to adjust the length. It's quite easy to cut the ball chain with a pair of pliars to replace the chain, but bending out the little ball-holder is the hard part. The D-Link at the end of it is quite easy to attach to the Electroglo holding (The place where the original rope attaches to the Electroglo) and fits quite snugly and perfectly.

The Electroglos are quite a bit longer than I had expected, so make sure to carefully plan how long you want your chain to be considering the Electroglos are about 30% longer than a glowstick, as well as 2 or 3 times larger in diameter.

You can easily remove the finger loops without damaging them or the plastic ring that they come on, but I wouldn't bother, they are not only ugly, but the plastic won't work for fire poi I'd think. I highly recommend ordering what I linked to earlier and using them with your Electroglos, the weighting is perfect and the chains match the poi.

Delete

Achluophobia
Magical Sock Dancer
Posted:Thanks for the help. I think I'm going to use the finger loops from electroglow poi since I don't use fire... yet.... and it would probably be cheaper and just more satistfiing if I made my own chains. The hardwear store should have everything I need. I think....

Delete

frostypaw
Great balls of fire
Total posts: 643
Posted:Does anyone know or have they tried these: french glow poi?

They look purdy.

I can SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Delete

MillenniuM
MillenniuM

Hyperloops suck

Posted:I've seen those before, they look quite well crafted albeit very hard, similar to beaming poi. I like the color selections as well.

Delete

Achluophobia
Magical Sock Dancer
Posted:I ordered a pair of electroglow. I can't wait to get them.

Delete

MillenniuM
MillenniuM

Hyperloops suck

Posted:Damn you people that saved 30 dollars! *Shakefist*

Delete

frostypaw
Great balls of fire
Posted:quote:Originally posted by MillenniuM:
Damn you people that saved 30 dollars! *Shakefist* Relax in the thought that I think a little nugget (winnet?) of bad karma is going to ensure mine dont' turn up today and I can't play with them at the weekend :S

Fingers tightly crossed!

re> the passepasse glowballs - i think they're meant to be soft, but it's not really clear issit! HMM! might see if they sell them in the UK and where I can try some out

I can SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Delete

frostypaw
Great balls of fire
Posted:The passepasse balls and standard glow-poi can be bought from the Oddballs shop in Camden Market (for us londoners)

they are kinda soft - the standard (stick style) glowpoi are very soft indeed! good thing yes. but very opaque too - can't imagine they'd be all that bright.

So er... not tempted Have my electroglo's now anyhows - and will have the homebrew attempt finished by next week for people to see on the common if i manage to go woohoo

I can SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Delete

frostypaw
Great balls of fire
Posted:Lil' update - electroglo type 'bits' can be got from www.nighthack.com - the jugglo balls are damn bright and even got me juggling briefly (and ordering the other available colours )

much brighter than the aerotech balls that i saw last night - but no crazy colour changing fun

oh and 'streetlights' are too delicate to use as poi - whoever it was who cracked them please don't feel bad! they were more an experiment in how fast they'd die so i could scavenge the parts

I can SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Delete

Achluophobia
Magical Sock Dancer
Posted:I just got mine today, they are really fun to spin, so soft when you mess up and hit yourself, not like my little glow sticks that you think could sheer your finger off. Yes I just said the electroglo's are soft when they hit. The strings aren't that bad, kind of short though, I guess they need to be broken in a bit. Since I can't get decent ball chain around here.

I can't wait until it gets dark out.

Delete

frostypaw
Great balls of fire
Posted:just changed my batteries last night back to obscenely bright

if you want to make the brightness more even along the length of the tube cut some lengths of clear plastic tubing to put inside - if you twist them into a helix they'll stay tight against the tube and it looks pretty put two pieces in each of mine... should get a pic.

hated the handles/string - replaced with chain asap - not ball chain, quite unconviced by that!

glow is so much more soothing than fire

I can SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Delete

Achluophobia
Magical Sock Dancer
Posted:Used mine last night, they are really bright. ^_^
How are the tops conected too the electroglo's , do they screw or pull off, or are they glued on? I'd like to be able to take the chains off without doing any damage too them so if I try new chains and don't like them I can easily switch back.

Delete

frostypaw
Great balls of fire
Posted:According to reports (and my investigations lol) the end caps at the swivel end are VERY hard to get off, let alone back on - probably not recommended at all!

i just cut right through the cord - it's not easy with scissors, use a stanley knife. my cords and short chains have clips on them so it's easy thereon, can just attach directly to the swivel. tried to find little quicklinks that would fit through the swivel's hole but failed so far

Tonight's electroglow experiment: i got a pair of these strange Ilumix sticks which appear kinda pretty! There's also a whole range of single colours, this mix and a 7 colour mix that looked cheeeeeeeesy.

Non-Https Image Link

You can turn the LEDs on/off independently for extra fun... but yet to see how they stand up to a spin - roll on darkness and it's frikkin' friday so no need to go to bed at a sensible hour! woohoo! can go out THEN poi and i'll be drunk so it won't hurt if i hit myself, even better

[ 16. August 2003, 06:00: Message edited by: frostypaw ]

I can SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Delete

Achluophobia
Magical Sock Dancer
Posted:Damn, so now I'm going to have to find all the parts and use some normal glow sticks to try out some new chains before I can decide if I'm going to cut off the normal string.

Delete

MillenniuM
MillenniuM

Hyperloops suck

Posted:Answering a few questions:

1. https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/details.asp?prodid=496&cat=500&path=500
br>
Those fit through the electroglo holes perfectly, not too snug of a fit but snug enough to keep it from flapping around.

2. The ballchain sold at HOP is perfectly weighted for the Electroglo poi. I have ballchain with double finger loops and a quick link, and it works quite well and I can exchange heads in about 10 seconds.

Frostypaw, mind explaining the clear plastic stuff once again? What is it (where to buy, a picture of what it looks like)? How do you insert it and how does it stay?

Delete

gwenny
Total posts: 5
Posted:these are so cheap! 12 for $2, but its hard to tell what kind of quality they are. and you have to buy $125.00 worth of stuff to order em.

http://www.glowproducts.com/battery/led-7inch.html

A discovery is said to be an accident meeting a prepared mind

Delete

frostypaw
Great balls of fire
Posted:Those things are meant to be pretty fragile. Tough in normal use but poi isn't normal use

yeah cheers for that link MilleniuM - i saw those but was griping about shipping - they're made in France, then shipped to NZ and then back to the UK??? it's too wierd/silly

still unconvinced by ballchain tho

I can SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Delete

Achluophobia
Magical Sock Dancer
Posted:But wouldn't any other kind of chain pinch your skin when you tried to do any wraps?

Delete

Scar
Total posts: 9
Posted:Any tips on using one of these LED sticks to make a staff?

Delete

Achluophobia
Magical Sock Dancer
Posted:If your talking about the electroglo's then there is an electroglo staff. No idea about thoese other ones though, sorry.

Delete

frostypaw
Great balls of fire
Posted:oook rather late update

the Ilumix sticks were very pretty, and did withstand a hard few days spinning then got a bit shakey

the electronics were Fine, they just needed more reinforcing, which i've not got around to attacking yet as i've lost my tiny jewelers screwdrivers

will dismantle and rebuild them after Lowlands methinks! got to rebuild my Streetlights inside a PTFE tube too... lots of work

I can SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Delete

cRYstalWave
Total posts: 40
Posted:Hey, a little cry from the back ground.......... i cant find electro glow anywhere....this site never has them for sale, so where are you all buying them from????.......also , does anyone have, or know anything about the 'Techno trainer' + Led glowsticks from the rave site...(which address i cant remeber sorry!!)????

Cheers...Love x

...........The most inspiring thing that anyone has ever said to me was........Life is nothing without dreams..... or was it life's too short to eat pistachio's????

Delete

cRYstalWave
Total posts: 40
Posted:Frosty paw!!!!.... you got a set of those led glowsti=cky type things...what dya reckon ....worth purchasin?????.............
That's the website i was on about as well, where Frosty bought his from....www.technomoves.com.....................

xxxx

...........The most inspiring thing that anyone has ever said to me was........Life is nothing without dreams..... or was it life's too short to eat pistachio's????

Delete

Xanath
Total posts: 67
Posted:dont ever buy the streetlights! they break so easy, i broke mine the first day i got them. i even reinforced them with packing tape and they cracked within 1 hour of use. they are a waste!

Power percieved is power achieved.

Delete

MillenniuM
MillenniuM

Hyperloops suck

Posted:Crystal: www.juggleart.com

Delete

frostypaw
Great balls of fire
Posted:The links are in the posts about the lightsticks...

the techno trainer thing looks kinda crappy... but i said that about astrojax and having seen them being used at Lowlands i'm not so ready to diss them

re:streetlights - you can reinforce them with some clear plastic tubing, or indeed crack the nasty overly stiff case right off and rebuild them inside something tougher which i'm slowly doing

but... white socks and glow juggling balls from whereever looks astonishingly good at night, the light diffuses down the sock very pleasantly... looks a bit makeshift in the day though hehe

I can SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Delete

frostypaw
Great balls of fire
Posted:newest glow fun - Sauce Lights with the diffusing end taken off and replaced with one of the Nighthack juggle balls to diffuse it more effectively

worked a treat hundreds of thousands of colours!

check them out here - there are some other pics from clapham common, but lots of the glow the photo with the pink glowballs is also the sauce lights set to one constant colour

not as bright as some, but worth it for the colours. the lights use strange little LEDs and i'm not sure if they could be replaced with brighter ones

these LED units look interesting too... if they'll ship to the UK for next paycheck's fun

I can SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Delete

Achluophobia
Magical Sock Dancer
Posted:So many glow toys. Anyone ever try rebuilding a street light inside an electroglo?

Delete

Page: 123