Forums > Technical Discussion > What non-fire Poi do you use?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Singed Piper (formerly Mark1)resident bagpiper
342 posts

Posted:
I was looking in my bag today, and realized i had a very large number of non-fire attachments, and i wondered how my collection compared or could be improved... I'd like to know what other people swing other than fire.

I have, in no particular order:

1 pair of modified(better bottoms) electroglow (green lanterns)
1 pair of homemade tennis ball trainers w husky tails
1 pair of lazerbrite lightsticks (blue/red)
1 pair of blue lazer stiks (need soldering)
1 pair of photon 2 microlights (blue)
2 skywriters on one splitring (back to back)
1 pair of broken streetlights(awaiting replacement)

I was also considering buying:

2 strobaton necklaces
2 Rainbow-In-Motion Hacky Sacks(to attach)
2 rav'n party lights OR x-lights rainbow OR no name brand
2 psycho sticks
1 set Astrojax Saturn (to cut up for attachments)

Can anyone give me oppinions on any of these as club toys, or give me more ideas?

you can find most of these products via www.google.com if not reply with questions.

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?
A:The Great Highland Pipes burn longer.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
sooo, Mark1, i take it you like raves
rock on mate! erm how long did your sreetlights last? did you cover them with protective stuff? i wanna git some!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

342 posts

Posted:
they lasted hum, let me count, two nights...

that was with my friend the staff twirler useing his poi skills to smash them to bits...

however, i wouldn't get them if you EVER hit or put stress on the attachments.

they shattered through neon huskies deflectors and there was quite a lot of shrapnel when they finally went

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Where did you buy your Electroglo Poi? Christ, I can't find them anywhere except for that Australian site and it just doesn't look like a trustworthy nor cheap site.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
These are easy to make yourself and they won't shatter on impact: -

https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=001057

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

342 posts

Posted:
my electroglows were from HOP back when they offered in the shop

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
you can get fluro fuzzy fake fur from fabric shops glows wickedly under uv light if you choose a nice fluro colour. that and a bag of seeds makes up my practise poi fuzzys are always good

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
Speaking of electroglows does anyone know if they will be offered in the shop again?

342 posts

Posted:
judgeing by their picture's removal from the catagory graphic, i'd say not.

AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
I hope not, I was hoping to buy some led lit poi that won't give me a concussion when I hit myself in the head.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Only two sets I have are:

1 set of tennis balls with change to weigh it down
1 set of beaming poi compliments of HoP

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Matthew_NeSILVER Member
Northeast USA Firespinner
122 posts

Posted:
1 pair of Comets
1 pair of tennis ball attachments
1 pair of Beaming balls
4 Photon 3's
2 Tubelights (dunno the proper term)
1 Tennis ball rope dart (8' of nylon cordage)
2 pair of dead glowsticks (Practice..)

I'm gonna be gettin alot more tennis balls.. and prolly some lil rave lights too. I am thinking of making something similar to the electroglo poi that were here, they seem pretty simple to do (after having used them and seen them in real life)

342 posts

Posted:
onewheeldave, you've gotta stop toting your glow socks on EVERY THREAD. those who want them will see them, or ask about them, but I've seen them on 4 threads in the last 10 days, and its really getting old. some people might need these, but i've already made some quite professional led poi and am planning on selling them, this home made thing won't work for me, and i wish i could choose to hear about it in the forum, rather than have it forced on me. That's what the thread you created is for. also, you've just tried to tote them as a replacement for streetlights, which are an ENTIRELY different effect.

I'm not trying to be really mean, but i've had a long day, and i wanted to find some variety in my information. I'm just seeing you post about these over and over and over, and its the straw that breaks my back.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Here here!

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Mark1:
onewheeldave, you've gotta stop toting your glow socks on EVERY THREAD. those who want them will see them, or ask about them, but I've seen them on 4 threads in the last 10 days, and its really getting old. some people might need these, but i've already made some quite professional led poi and am planning on selling them, this home made thing won't work for me, and i wish i could choose to hear about it in the forum, rather than have it forced on me. That's what the thread you created is for. also, you've just tried to tote them as a replacement for streetlights, which are an ENTIRELY different effect.

I'm not trying to be really mean, but i've had a long day, and i wanted to find some variety in my information. I'm just seeing you post about these over and over and over, and its the straw that breaks my back.

Sorry you feel that way, I don't want to be annoying people.

However, I've only posted on a few threads where I thought they were relevant.

As you will be able to tell from the webpage and video I've put up I've devoted a considerable amount of effort into spreading what I consider to be highly useful information for people who don't have the necessary dollars to buy commercial electronic equipment.

I hear what you're saying but would ask you to consider whether it may be better to skip the odd reply rather than risk someone not having access to info they may really want cos' the original thread is lost in the mists of time?

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

ASTRO FAERIEBRONZE Member
ummmmmmm.............
724 posts

Posted:
I'm actually really grateful that someone is willing to share their money saving ideas. I don't have much money and i find buying a lot of the poi for sale on the net really difficult. When i save up its ok, and ill treat myself, but i also think it feels like a good acheivement when you know you have managed to make some gorgeous looking ones with little money involved. It just takes someones hard work and iginuity to help others. Thanx dave

Only when the last tree has died
and the last river has been poisoned
and the last fish has been caught
will we realise that we
cannot eat money.

Cree Indian, 1909

342 posts

Posted:
i simply don't understand the need. even the relatively broke can get poi from things like

photon nockoffs
streetlights
lazer stiks
rainbow-in-motion funbags(hackysack)
or
the x-light or a nockoff there of.

all of those are around or under $20 usd for a set

ummmmmmm.............
724 posts

Posted:
I understand the point that you are making, and i respect your opinion, but some people like the feeling to know that they have made something good, thats cheap and useful for others. Sharing ideas and money saving ideas is an asset to boards like these. Some people might like buying second hand items, thats fine. But some people simply like making things and sharing their knowledge. Again i respect your opinion, but please don't try to dampen other peoples enthusiasm.

will we realise that we
cannot eat money.

Cree Indian, 1909

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Cheers for the kind words Astro Faerie, much appreciated.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Mark1:
i simply don't understand the need. even the relatively broke can get poi from things like

photon nockoffs
streetlights
lazer stiks
rainbow-in-motion funbags(hackysack)
or
the x-light or a nockoff there of.

all of those are around or under $20 usd for a set

Like Astro fairie says, some people like making their own stuff, there are many benefits to this: -

If you built it you can fix it yourself- some of the cheap stuff you mention has a tendency to shatter on impact, at which point you've wasted your money.

If you build it you understand how it works and can then improve on it and spread the info- this is in the same spirit as the process whereby new spinning moves/equipment has ballooned over the past few years.

I'm not making the mistake of thinking that elecro sock poi look identical to high end commercial stuff, but I have seen both types in action and I would say that visually they are equal. To me strobing multicoloured trails are very clever, but I prefer a nice simple well diffused single colour.

Equally, I'm not into standing around tapping two bits of gear around to get the right program.

I'm especially not into the inevitable day when, for no apparent reason, the expensive gear ceases to function and you're left with a useless chunk of plastic.

We live in a world where many people will actually say with a straight face that if somethings free it can't be any good, many more people won't say it but, deep down, believe it.

I'm sure that a lot of you have seen the instructions for making electro sock poi and automatically assumed that a few LED's, a battery and a sock can't possibly compare with a high end commercial set at £80+/pair.

Well, in my opinion they can. Electro sock poi are not just a low budget shoddy toy for those that can't afford the 'real thing'- if you build them properly they are every bit as good, and definitly surpass most of the commercial budget stuff.

Given the current pervasive conditioned opinion that free=rubbish, I feel the need to give electro sock poi a little extra push to counter that opinion.

The reason I posted on this thread originally was that you specifically asked for 'more ideas'; I can see now that you were only interested in non home made stuff, but that was not apparent from your original post.

I also noticed that a some of the replies have mentioned equipment shattering, the risk of concussion and difficulties in obtaining, all areas where electro sock poi excell.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

ummmmmmm.............
724 posts

Posted:
Just as a quick mention. Both myself and PINK SOOT, have used these hammerhead glow poi of Daves. They are extremely clever in their making, very easy to use, as you just press a button and they automatically light up, they are just right in weight. They arent heavy at all. Because of them being inside material they are cushioned on impact. And above all else they look very very beautiful. They have been extremely well thought out, and very well made. They gave me a huge buzz when i got to use them the other week. I can't wait to see what Dave makes next.

will we realise that we
cannot eat money.

Cree Indian, 1909

Gingerninjamember
20 posts

Posted:
Hi

new to this thread, but I would like to agree with astrofairie that Dave's sock poi are quite lovely. They look just as good as any other glo poi i've seen and becuase they are so cheap and easy to make it'll save me money getting them over the net...which is the only place i can buy them at the moment as i don't live in a city and have no budget to go to one. Plus I have no knowledge or experience in building my own glowing toys and i would not know where to start, so...cheers dave!

Even under it's burden, the soul awakes and sings. - C.A.Sainte-Beuve

ultra violet goblynmember
10 posts

Posted:
Right, lets get one thing clear, if you can make something just as good and for less money than you can pay over the net or in the shops then surely its a winner.
If you wanna pay over the odds for toyz fine,its your cash and no one really gives a fart how much you pay for it/them( you obviously have more money than sense,as someone who makes everything from leds to fire toys( all custom size and weight at various prices and never had a complaint from anyone who's used them)i know exactly where dave is coming from, i've seen his hammerheads in action and they absolutly fekkin rule!!!!!!!!!.
So please dont't start on someone in a forum just because you've had a hard day(poor git,like some of us don't know what that is!!)and because they thought they could help out,trust me it ain't on,especially when a person takes pride in what they've done.

At the end of the day kiddo there's worse things in the world than home made toys and if all you can do is pull someone down for making some kit i suggest you loose yer stress on spinning

he's not the messiah ,hes a very naughty boy

342 posts

Posted:
my issue is not that they are home made, i find many homemade items very usefull.

my issue was the fact that it was posted as a solution to my shattered streetlights.

streetlights have an entirely different look and feel to these sock poi(i know, i have fooled around with lighted juggling balls in socks).

the post was offered in such a way as to seem as if they were equal. it was offered as poi that won't shatter on impact, in response to my response to another poster about streetlights.

I have many lighted poi, and have only ever shattered 1 pair (streetlights) however, the way I handle them(not my neighbor) the streetlights would rarely break. at 7.00 per streetlight, i can afford a break a month.

as I said, they were offered as if their main point was their non shattering. THIS IS NOTHING SPECIAL! no other poi of mine have ever shattered, nor did I imply that they had.

in context, the post (correct me if i'm wrong) offered them as streetlight replacements. I do not find that a valid ascertation.

I think the thread is great and the poi are an interesting idea, I just think that onewheeldave is a bit overzealous to find a connection to his poi in a thread.

he could have said "i created, and swing HammerHead electro sock diffusion poi"(try working on name length) not
"these are great and won't shatter on impact
INSERT ANNOYING LINK TO ANOTHER THREAD"

If i want to learn about these i will, but i asked what you swing, not for a link to a link to long drawn out building instructions that could be rewritten to
"follow the instructions that HOP provides for making poi, then put them in a sock"

the constant linking to a thread whose sole purpose is to provide a link annoys me to no end.

i did not mean to insult you, or your design, i just think you are overpromoting it in some cases, and that if you were to promote it you should provide a little info on the page that you post on and then link to the site, rather than a thread that links to a site.

P.S. I know how all my poi work and can repair them myself(not including a shattered proprietary case whose replacement costs under a 10 spot)

DOES THAT CLEAR THINGS UP A BIT?

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Mark, I'd prefer that you didn't change my words i.e. I didn't say 'these are great and won't shatter on impact', here's my original post
--------------------------------------------------

These are easy to make yourself and they won't shatter on impact: -

https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=001057

---------------------------------------------------

You said:-
in context, the post (correct me if i'm wrong) offered them as streetlight replacements. I do not find that a valid ascertation.

and: -

my issue was the fact that it was posted as a solution to my shattered streetlights.
------------------------

You are indeed wrong, the post is simply pointing out that they won't shatter, that is just one of their plusses, the rest are given on the thread. They are offered not as replacements for anything but simply as very easy to make, good looking, resilient and easy to repair electric poi.

It was not posted as a solution to your shattered streetlights, it was posted as I considered it relevant to the thread as a whole i.e. here's a non commercial electric glo poi.

As for the fact that no other poi of yours have ever shattered that is probably due to your skill in spinning- other peoples have shattered and this is always going to be a risk for beginners, or indeed for the experienced who occassionally lend their kit to others.

---------------------
You said: -
i did not mean to insult you, or your design, i just think you are overpromoting it in some cases, and that if you were to promote it you should provide a little info on the page that you post on and then link to the site, rather than a thread that links to a site.
-----------------------

When I spend several hours building a web site that compresses several years of experimentation with building electric poi, then I will present that information as I see fit.
I choose to post a link to a thread linking to the site because a)it saves me redoing info I've put elsewhere and b)it keeps the new post smaller so people who aren't interested can skip it more easily.
As you will have seen if you visited that thread it contains 3 links to relevant places (to the webpage, to the movie of them and to the thread on pip forum).

-------------------
You said: -

If i want to learn about these i will, but i asked what you swing, not for a link to a link to long drawn out building instructions that could be rewritten to
"follow the instructions that HOP provides for making poi, then put them in a sock"
-------------------

I'm not sure if you're implying that I've ripped off someone elses design here, I'll assume that wasn't your intention and you can let me know if I'm wrong.

I respect the fact that someone else in the past created something and decided to share it with others, but the electro socks are very different i.e. easier to build and visually totally different. You say that you've been making electric poi so you'll be quite aware that all glow toys are fundamentally LED's wired to a switch and a battery and then placed in a swingable object (with a timer chip and programmable chip in some cases).

If you do 'follow the instructions that HOP provides for making poi, then put them in a sock' then they won't work that well cos the visual effect of the Hammerheads is due to the fact that the LEDs are fixed to point upwards giving maximum diffusion.

A simple concept yes, but increasingly I am seeing that simple solutions are, for most people, the hardest ones to find.

Finally Mark, I've got to say that I'm somewhat bewildered by some of the things you said, initially you're complaint is that I'm over posting, I've replied to that by apologising for any irritation caused but also maintaining that, in my opinion, I've not been guilty of that.

Now you've critised the way I present my info, read into what I've posted stuff that simply is not the case, misrepresented one of the posts and come pretty close to accusing me of plagarism.

Maybe you didn't intend any of those things but I just thought I'd provide some feedback as to how you've come across to me. I'm a fairly resilient individual with a great deal of confidence in my own judgement, but if I'd posted the electro glo stuff several years back as a newbie to this board I think I would have felt a bit gutted at the things you've said.

I think there's a real danger that a newbie reading threads like this is going to be disinclined to share their discoveries through fear of being put down.

To me spinning is where it is now cos people have freely shared a lot of info on moves and equipment; is there anyone reading this who hasn't recieved a lot of support, freely given, from other spinners?

I say lets keep that tradition going, and if occasionally you consider that someones gone a little over the top, got a little over exited about something good they've found, then, err on the side of caution rather than risk dampening their creative spirit.

[ 24. July 2003, 01:36: Message edited by: onewheeldave ]

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

342 posts

Posted:
in the home of poi construction, the leds do face upwards.

342 posts

Posted:
I do not accuse you of plagiarism, because you aknowledge the site, I only accuse you of overly long instructions

for another example, this quote:
"1. take both the leads from the battery holder and snip a little off the ends (I've found that if you don't cut the end off the wires will snap when you use the wire strippers)

2. strip off about 2 finger widths of the wire coverings of both leads to leave bare wire- this is done with either wire strippers or by carefully rolling the wire between your finger and a knife then pulling off the covering (can be tricky).

3. Take the black lead and twist the bare wire on the end of it, then fold it over on itself and twist again.

4. insert this end into one of the holes of the lamp switch and screw in tight to secure"

could be said as "strip both battery holder leads and connect the black one to the lamp switch"

your instructions were not my main issue, i just wanted to clarify my sidenote about the home of poi instructions. I meant that you could presumably shorten the instructions that far.

ummmmmmm.............
724 posts

Posted:
As far as i am aware.....a discussion borad is exactly that, a discussion. There are going to be lots of people reading these posts. New people to HoP as well as the older members. I have not read a post up until this date which has caused frustration and anger, but this seems like one of them. This could go on forever.....
Just be aware that you might have had a bad day, or you might not agree to certain statements made by others. But be careful, as what you say may make people think less of you as well.
Maybe everyone could benefit by being a bit more tolerant towards each other.

will we realise that we
cannot eat money.

Cree Indian, 1909

ummmmmmm.............
724 posts

Posted:
I also think that longer more precise instructions on making items, is a safer and more accurate way of making things. If you want them to work well and last anyway.
I'd much rather prefer more detail, than not enough. We all know what these 'Do it yourself' shelf unit instructions are like(for example), usaully a little piece of paper with rubbish instructions and little information.

will we realise that we
cannot eat money.

Cree Indian, 1909

342 posts

Posted:
over all, i guess my beef is that you simply don't write economically and to some extent it wastes other's time. in many threads i have gone looking for ideas for led poi, and yours was the first i came across. At that point i was like ok, interesting, save it for later.
then i kept seeing posts like the one you placed here, that do not mention what poi you are talking about, and that cannot be understood as a plug for electro soc... without going to another link. At 3 in the morning, that is really annoying. Most people want to know what link they are going to before clicking. then, once i have clicked, i find a one post thread where for any usefull information I must click on another link. The other forum and the vid could be linked to from your site and your thread could be skipped as a link. you could then say things like,

"I invented a type of lighted sock poi that is easy and cheap to make, and is virtually indestructable. I call them Electro Sock...(really annoying name)... poi"

if you are going to share, do it in a manner others can understand and CHOOSE to pay attention to. The years of work you put into these means nothing to me if I don't want to see/use them.

342 posts

Posted:
double post by accident how do i delete this one

Page: