• You must now select Courier Delivery if you wish to receive items before Christmas.

Forums > Technical Discussion > Kerosene: how do I stop the smell when I store my fire staff?

Login/Join to Participate

Willow A.M.

Total posts: 3
Posted:I have recently made myself a fire staff and am using kerosene as a fuel. But I don't know how I am meant to store my staff. Am I meant to do something with it after use, such as clean or wrap up the wick, or do you just let it dry and store it as-is? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Willow A.M.

Delete Topic

Puk
SILVER Member since Aug 2002

Puk

Sweet talented nutter

Total posts: 2615
Posted:what you need to do is put old socks over the wicks. That stops the smell being so bad in the house. It also reduces the risk of have balck marks anywhere.

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

Delete

Fire By Riz tm

Total posts: 212
Posted:If your staff is under 6 feet they sell construction level cases it is a round tube with a snap top about 4 inchs in dia I have seen them up to 6 ft long you can pick them up at a home depot type store or a tool store . They work great for transporting and storing your staff. I think they cost like $20 last time I bought one

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

Delete

Willow A.M.

Posted:Thanks heaps for the suggestions.

Sounds like a plan!

Willow A.M.

Delete

DeepSoulSheep
GOLD Member since Sep 2002

DeepSoulSheep

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 2617
Posted:I just tie plastic bags round the ends. YOu can tie 'em quite tight so it's pretty usefull...

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Delete

Taniwha

Total posts: 138
Posted:Detachable heads!! Its the only way. I make my own, and after a burn, u just throw them in a air tight container with some kero so they last. My old heads lasted over 5 years.

They can be quite dangerous, so u need to fix them on to the staff REAL GOOD! ie two bolts. Then cool them before u take them off.

[ 08. April 2003, 14:11: Message edited by: Raging Dragon ]

Its all just smoke and mirrors

Delete

bec
BRONZE Member since Jan 2001

bec

Total posts: 521
Posted:or use a less stinky smelly yicky yucky fuel...

there are alternatives to Kerosene that have similar properties without the smell & without some of the yucky stuff...

We need Charles for the New Zealand fuel names...
"Chaaaaaarrrrles...." "can you come help please..."
...from memory I think it is called Pegasol 3440 Special (??) in New Zealand... but please don't trust me on that - wait til we get a definite answer or do a search if you're interested... it's so fun not to smell so stinky all the time - but you don't have the low flashpoint problems of other alternatives...

sorry to kind of steer this thread in another direction - many good storage ideas if you really must use kero... but really... give it a go & you'll never go back

Delete

Willow A.M.

Posted:Thanks for the idea, I'll check it out. What did you mean about the "low checkpoint problems of other fuels"? (or something like that!) And how expensive is it in comparison to kerosene?
Cheers

Willow A.M.

Delete

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)

Enter a "Title" here:

Total posts: 2905
Posted:hehe Fabreeze?

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

Delete

Hecatonchires

Total posts: 45
Posted:Wrap the ends in plastic bags - more for the no soot marks when transporting, and we just rest ours next to the broom at the back door - nice and ventilated.

--Luke

Delete