• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Zoltar
BRONZE Member since Nov 2002

Zoltar

Beginner

Total posts: 282
Posted:I was having a swing of my beloved fire poi last night and the strangest thing happened. I was about a minute into swinging, I stalled to change poi direction and the both simultaneously went out!! Soon as I put a flame to them again they burst into full flame and I spun them for about another four minutes before the flames died down.

Now these are cathedral heads which had, as usual, been very well soaked in Citronella/kero mix, so they had heaps of fuel. They had only been burning a about a minute so they were in full flame. I wasnt swinging fast either.

After the first burn I gave em a dip in fuel and lit up again. All going well, then when I was in about the same position in the front yard, and stalling again, one of the poi did exactly the same thing just went out. And again when waved near a flame burst into full flame and I swung em for another 3 or four minutes!!!

Just to add, it wasnt a windy night in fact it was very still. This has never happened before.. usually they burn for 4 or five minutes before I extinguish them. Spooky. Any suggestions why this might happen?
Could I have an anti-poi poltergeist blowing out my wicks?

So much fire, so little body hair...

Delete Topic

poiaholic22

Total posts: 531
Posted:
Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

The only thing I can think of is get yourself a good priest and have your poi exorcised.

Delete

NYC

NYC

NYC

Total posts: 9232
Posted:I blame the media.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Delete

Astar

Total posts: 1591
Posted:I blame the french.

Delete

Trippie Hippie
BRONZE Member since May 2002

Trippie Hippie

old hand

Total posts: 733
Posted:quote:Originally posted by Astar:
I blame the french. Ouch, your gonna get a for that one
LOL
Taking it easy
Trippy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone.
N.E.W.B. Agent #012
"I Got Soul"
Non-Https Image Link

Trippie Hippie- Monty Dons secret love child

Fly like a mouse, run like a pillow, be the small book case.

"Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone".

Because dressing up is fun.

Delete

Astar

Total posts: 1591
Posted::P

Delete

PK_
BRONZE Member since Dec 2001

PK_

Lambretta Fanatic

Total posts: 4991
Posted:i blame kato

PK.

"To be an angel, one need not have wings.
In giving love there is an equal grace.
Nor need one seek the aura in the face,
As love unveils the beauty of all things."

*Francois Couperin.

Delete

MrConfused
BRONZE Member since Jan 2002

MrConfused

addict

Total posts: 529
Posted:How long after lighting up do you start spinning? Sometimes the wicks haven't quite caught properly, and any sudden movement (spinning fast or changing direction, say) is enough to put them out. I normally leave them about 30 seconds or so after lighting before I start swinging. You can tell when the flames have caught properly by the look of the wick - it should be entirely surrounded by blue flame.

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

Delete

Zoltar

Zoltar

Beginner

Posted:Yeah, I always let my wicks light up properly before spinning, so I don't think it was that (not that I think it was the Media, the French, or Kato either.

As I said they were in full flame and they just went out like they had been extinguished...... wierd...

Delete

Dio

Dio

HoP Mechanical Engineer

Total posts: 729
Posted:I've experienced it too.... I figured it was the Poi Gods telling me "stop using those damn denim wicks"

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

Delete

Charles
BRONZE Member since Jun 2001

Charles

Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer

Total posts: 3989
Posted:There is a tiny tiny chance that centre of your wicks is much more tightly bound than the outside, in which case it may take a reosanble period of time for the fuel on the inside to heat up.

during spinning, the colder fuel may act like a douser and leave only a small amount of hot, buring fuel on the outside which canbe put out by the wind caused by motion.

Of course, I'me just makingt his up as I go along, I have no idea if this is complete rubbish or actually grounded in fact somewhere?

NYC, Mike Ginny? where are you guys when we need you....?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Delete

DJ Dantana
BRONZE Member since Aug 2001

veteran

Total posts: 1495
Posted:I'm going to blame it on the rain, yea E yea

Or maybe it was the taliban, they've been sabotaging our fuel suplies haven't they? Making it so our kero doesn't burn right?

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Delete

Dio

Dio

HoP Mechanical Engineer

Total posts: 729
Posted:That explains the rumbling your pickup makes when you drive

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

Delete

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)

veteran

Total posts: 1325
Posted:If I remember right, when stalling, the oxygen in that area of space is used up so the fuel has nothing to feed off of.

I've only been able to have that happen once, but I guess you're an extra 'lucky' person maybe?

Delete

Zoltar

Zoltar

Beginner

Posted:Kinudin, that is the best explanation so far.... ding, ding - we have a winner.

BTW - hasn't hapened since

Delete