Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Ok, i want to know how to make some sock poi of my own, i already own some, but they are actual socks. I want some sock poi that aren't socks. (and i've already made some tight's poi - they are amazingly good to use)

i tried to make some, but it failed horribly. please someone help!!!

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

rexmember
263 posts

Posted:
quote:
I want some sock poi that aren't socks.
what the...

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
you and me are thinking the same thing Rex..

Pink,
You said you want to know how to make sock poi without socks? hehe I dont think there is such a thing. I would suggest you making either tennis or newspaper poi..there are instructions in the Poi-Lessons at the top of the page..

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
1 Put something in some socks
2 swing
3 repeat step 2

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
my personal favorite is to take a sock, roll it up, and put it inside another sock.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Muff_Daddymember
45 posts

Posted:
u mean some sort of non-fire tennis ball poi, without socks??

'Statistics are like miniskirts, they reveal more than they hide.'

lightbugmember
321 posts

Posted:
i like to take socks and draw little faces on them.... then i use them to fool people into thinking that the sock is talking when it is actually me, ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ... its brilliant

drugs.. rock and roll. bad ass.. vegas hoes.. late night. booty calls.. shiny disco balls!!

Muff_Daddymember
45 posts

Posted:
Absolute GENIUS !!!!!!

'Statistics are like miniskirts, they reveal more than they hide.'

SmokyDavySILVER Member
Do my poi look too small in this?
394 posts

Posted:
Lightbug,

Its genius like yours that keeps the world such a progresive place.. I commend you.

lightbugmember
321 posts

Posted:
thank you, thank you.. **lightbug takes a deep bow** i would like to thank the academy, the sock makers, and all you aspireing sock puppeteers,
keep reaching for the stars..
peace
im out

drugs.. rock and roll. bad ass.. vegas hoes.. late night. booty calls.. shiny disco balls!!

fieMember
15 posts

Posted:
do you just use tube socks or something? i've never worn them so i dont know how long they are..

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
A friend of mine made some sets of 'sock' ish poi from two pieces of fabric cut somewhat like a neck tie with a rounded end. Each side a different colour. Put a small rubber ball inside one set, a small bag of rice in another ( that's a bit heavy for me but suits her fine cos she's stronger than me). Folded the top (thinner) end over a few times before sewing so it's a nice edge to grip between the fingers. They were long enough to wrap around the hand and adjust to different lengths. They are really nice to use... don't stretch out like knitted socks and no 'heel'. I find the stretch in sock poi quite annoying cos I spin at different speeds a lot.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

fieMember
15 posts

Posted:
COOL! i'll have to go find some cool meterial at the palce beside my work.. they sell all kindsa fabric for quilting.
I'm totally going to put like a 20 pound weight in it :P
i want to get into shape but i'm too lazy to do anything else besides swing glowsticks around.

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
Hey Alice, i think i get what you mean, why dont u ask FNF coz shes got nice poi in the "strange things happen" video. xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
ok... and ive just seen when u posted this up - now i feel silly!!! haha xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

minimaniacThe Ladiees Man
360 posts

Posted:
to make cone shaped poi all you need is four bit of identical material in the shape of a kite bit ultra long and skinny eg as long as you want the poi then all you do is stitch it together with a tennis ball inside

easy as chips!

I'm going to leave the army and run away to the circus

if not i will just become a MI5 agent !!!

BoomShankarGOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
thats all good if your into sewing but i made some with one trapezium(?)(ie. longer at the bottom than the top) shaped bit of fluffy orange material and sewed the two long edges together, and then sewed a circle of material on the bottom. i made it with the fluff on the inside + then turned it inside out

i miss my fluff poi

progger

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Wahh!

An ancient post bumped up to fool the Vixens.

Hi Alice! I predict we'll meet two months after you post this and have a lovely day at a museum. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
what would be the same type of sock fabric as on here. Ive ordered some green ones off here but there at my home address now instead of with me in leeds. I got some football socks from sports world but they annoyed my hands so want some of the soft ones.
(and my mates nicked the tennis balls from them to play cricket!)

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
just buy some different fabric from a crafts shop and sow it on yourself. it doesnt really matter what i t is as long as you like it wink

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
^ i'll just get out my trusty student sowing kit and machine!

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
I think I love the fact that alice the Queen of tangles is asking how to make soc poi

how i love old posts ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

pitmanSILVER Member
addict
544 posts

Posted:
i got the best sock poi ever i got long rainbow socks with small juggling balls in the bottom there so easy to use and the perfect weight (for me any ways)

DONT DO DRUGS THERE BAD FOR YOU.
SO GIVE THEM ALL TO ME AND I WILL GET RID OF THEM FOR YOU!

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
i just got some white knee high socks and stuck a tennis ball in them, then stretched out from underarm where the wrist starts, turn inside out, twice a couple of times to get rid of the heel and finally add some knots at the top.

Do you think rice or something heavier would be easier/harder to use than tennis balls?

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
i've got 3 sets of sock poi, all i made myself from knee high socks. i cut the feet off, turned them inside out and sewed the end back up.
one set has tennis balls in, one has juggling balls in and the third one is a spare set to put watever i want in.
i find the tennis ball ones the best, the juggling ball ones are alot harder to work with. if you hit yourself slightly, or hit your poi together whilst doing a move, tennis balls bounce off and you can carry on spinning, whereas juggling balls stop dead in their tracks.

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Geeza

Do you think rice or something heavier would be easier/harder to use than tennis balls?

Yes. wink

DragonsWrathBRONZE Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
Okay i know what they mean, I to do not want to use regular socks, cause for me they just do not flow right. HOP sells sock pois, but im looking for a more custom look, and do not know where to find a place that does that. HOP does not use regular socks for their sock pois, and i to would like to know the material, or how to make the whole thing so i can at least chose my own type of patteren, instead of a solid color or jail house. (theres not much choice) Hell i wouldnt mind getting a pair like the guy had on encyclo-poi-dia when they were showing hyper spins. I want a pair where one is a solid white with a black spiral line going from the handle to 1/3 down the sock and the other sock mainly black with the white spiral line doing the same. If anyone knows where to get custom poi made, or have any patterns for the construction itself, it would be greatly appreciated..

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I dunno about the construction, mine will be stripey, so I'll be sewing strips of material together, drawing up my own pattern.

Though I'll stick up for socky socks... My favourite pair are just regular socks... they stretch out so they do not stretch any longer, then they fly just fine. Happens pretty quick if you've got a decent amount of weight in there. I claim 3/4 of a cup is PERFECT. Honestly, don't go for anything lighter, tennis balls are WAAAAAAAY too light.

hug