Forums > Social Chat > Teach a newbie spinning etiquitte

Login/Join to Participate

DTKBmember
54 posts

Posted:
Hi all,I am 25, Canadian living in the UK, and learned of Poi at a remote rave outside of Madrid, Spain. I have two pairs of poi with streamers and I love them. I have used them at the Homelands Festival, Fatboy Slim on Brighton Beach, and numerous other events.I am still pretty bad. Surprisingly the first trick I learned was Alternate Mexican Wave, even before a simple weave. I am now just learning to join some of my tricks.I'm curious about spinning etiquitte. I am always intimidated to pull out my Poi when I see people with them, I'm afraid they will think I want to compete, but I want to learn. I also get so excited to find other spinners, and bring my Poi everywhere now! Are there any etiquittes out there? I have also had people give me strange things to spin, that is pretty cool! I am still very amateur and people like watching me!I like spinning because it gives me a new way to express my love of rave music, I am not wanting to be a professional performer. When my legs get tired, I break out the Poi! Any inspiring words for this new Poi-Spinner?Cheers to you all, DTKB

DTKB

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, But by the moments that take our breath away.

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
Nice to see you picking up the poi..about the only tips I can give you, are do it as much as you possibly can!as far as etiquette goes, spin with people if you want to, about the only time I would think that it would be rude to join in would be if they were professionals putting on a show.but most people are just spinning for fun, and they'd love to have one more person.

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
I'll second that post.Eric!!Welcome!!

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
Generally I find Poi people tend to be more open minded and always keen to teach or learn. I'm always on the lookout for new tricks and the best way to learn is to ask people!Therefore don't hold back, be friendly! What's the worst that could happen?If you didn't know in London there are a couple of Poi workshops you can always turn up to. Dimitri usually posts details up on HoP. Off top of my head there's one in Brixton every Wednesdays.Brixton Methodist Church (the hall in the back, up the fire-escape). Corner of Elm Park and Brixton HillDom

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
Awesome to see new comers with such good attitudes.When im at a rave im lookig for someone tospin with, in hopes of learning something new. i personally think battles are a good learning tool. A little comp is healthy, even if you are a beginner.i welcome people to spin with me. As long as you dont take someones strings from them and try to show them up. I would use the same etiquitte that u use while circle dancing at a rave or party. "S"------------------"When a Man Lies He Murders Some Part of the World These Are the PaleDeaths Which Men Miscall Their Lives All this I Cannot Bear to Witness Any Longer Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation Take Me Home"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

DTKBmember
54 posts

Posted:
Thanks a lot guys.I find that each time I practice, I pick something else up. I'm all for friendly competition.. but when I'm better and can actually compete! ha ha.. ------------------DTKB :}

DTKB

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, But by the moments that take our breath away.

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
I know how you feel. I have been spinning occationaly for a while but I didn't know anyone who could spin so I didn't get much better. I love watching other spinners and learned most of my early stuff from that.I've found this site to be great for trick tips and general information. Just keep spinning and having fun smile

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
One thing that bugs me sometimes is when people who obviously spin but aren't very good borrow and hog my strings... if they spin, why cant they have brought their own? I can't even learn something from them... I don't mind if they want me to teach them something tho, that's cool. Luckily I usually have like 3 pairs with me... really pays to bring a couple of practice sets wherever you go, it's not like theyre hard to transport like staffs.Oh, don't try and borrow anyone's fire poi, because they (understandably) get tetchy about safety, and even if you know how its still a personal thing, an most people do their refuelling and spinning off and everything in a very personal way, I find.But if you see someone spinning (obviously not professionals in a show, of course, as RavingLunatic said), there's no reason you shouldn't jump up and join in!oh and if anyone tries to borrow your glowsticks watch them close because i had a set of stick-poi nicked when i let someone try... bastards. good quality swivel joint too [image]https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/images/icons/frown.gif">------------------[/image] - William ShakespeareCheck out my Online Gallery!ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Welcome to the family smileShine oncassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
You know in all of my travels ive only met one "not nice" spinner.. the rest of them were all glad to see me..ive said before i really dont like competition and with spinning i find that i dont have to compete.. id be happy to spin with you or anybody that came along to check out what i was doing..i say pull out your poi where ever you go and if you dont feel it right then tlak tyo them when they tkae a break youll be so suprized what they can teach you------------------A Faeries Heart Beats Fierce and Free!!!!!

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

TranceKujamember
68 posts

Posted:
I have only been to one other place where people actually used poi. Problem was i had no glowsticks so i had to borrow a pair. I was meteoring *i think that's the right term* when someone else started to poi. I tried to learn some poi moves but the problem was even though i was a beginner he was even worse than me. Thing i liked though was that someone joined me. feels kinda awkward when you're a beginner and you're the only one using strings.------------------I'm a FF fan. So what?Live by honor. Kill by stealth. Only the unseen survive.~peace~

Live by honor. Kill by stealth. Only the unseen survive.~peace~

Marlboromember
180 posts

Posted:
Welcome!! More poi-ers in the uk!!!! Always good to hear!!!:-)~M

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold.

Tlightmember
189 posts

Posted:
You know the poi workshop, would it be okay if i brought my staff along. I dont poi but I think I might start because so many people seem to be doing it. Anyway could you tell me where it would be and at what time and i might come.

I hope you realize how pissed I am.

4,224 posts

Posted:
Tlight, I am not the organiser of any workshop, however, staff and poi work hand in hand and there is much to learn from eachother, don't do poi because people do it really,do it only if you want to. If they are only poiers , they'll probably welcome you with your staff with pleasure, not expecting you to spin poi ...Just my opinionShine onCassandra

Janglamember
155 posts

Posted:
well said cassandra - the illusion of the poi weave is that it appears to be a solid staff spinning from one side to the other. You can therefore assume that staff techniques would cross-over well - and vice versa.I'm currently working on a design to clip 2 poi together mid-performance to turn them into meteor (and back again - hopefully) which seems slightly closer to the staff due to it being one piece.------------------"We are all of us in the gutter but some of us are looking up at the stars."[This message has been edited by Jangla (edited 08 September 2001).]

---------------------With a bit of luck, his life was ruined; always thinking that just behind some narrow door, in his favourite bars, men in red woolen suits are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.

Tlightmember
189 posts

Posted:
Im just gonna make lots of questions and hopefully somebody can answer them.1. Is it inside or out ( i tend to move about a lot )?2. Where is it?3. Should i just turn up or phone up first?4. Could you just basically give me the details of what ill need to know?Thanks

I hope you realize how pissed I am.

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
The Wednesday workshop in Brixton is called Just Jugglers, and it organised by Dimitri who oftens posts here as well.The workshop is in a church hall, there's an outside grass area if the weather is nice. It's a big enough hall for a few twirlers.It's attended by people who juggle, poi, staff, baton, meteor, etc...Just turn up, be social, and twirl!A friend of mine is also organising a Thursday Poi workshop in Borough. I'll post more info when it's confirmed.Dom

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are

Wazirmember
5 posts

Posted:
Hello. I am 24, living in Maryland, USA. I inadvertently bought a pair of Fire Poi yesterday on Ebay. (i didn't really think I would actually win the auction) So I'm sitting here thinking, "hmmm... I'm gonna have to actually learn how to use these things -- I can't wait!" So I did a search for "poi" on the JIS, and I eventually discovered this website! YAY!! I am very pleased about the lessons section. Now, I know general fire safety because I own and juggle torches. But this Poi thing is going to be a whole new experience! I guess I'd just like to say thank you for having the Poi-lessons section available for newbies like me! I guess I can look forward to practice, practice, practice!!

4,224 posts

Posted:
Welcome Wazir... you are gonna love it, trust me.. beware though : it is addictive !shine oncassandra

DTKBmember
54 posts

Posted:
Yes Cassandra,Truly addictive. I spent the other night at the park, in the pouring rain, with no rain gear, poi-ing to my hearts content. Beads of water flying off the poi! I did learn some new joining techniques though, and had great time.I am planning on going to Thailand in October, to a small beach, where I will rent a thatch hut and play with poi all day. can't wait.. smile

DTKB