Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Waist wrap clarification...

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
OK... i've done the searches and now I'm officially confused.

Is a waist wrap simply a transition from forward to reverse weave in the wall plane??

I had always thought it was that Cassandra/Dom move where you get your arms all the way behind your back and do a circle in front (on your left) with arms twisted behind the back, then behind, then infront (on your right)...

I realize that there is no such thing as fact so just chime in on what your opinion is.

NYC- alone in a city where the people don't waist wrap.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i l;ike planes too much

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
But boats are cool too don't you think!!!

Bammy

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
now excuse me missie this isnt the stick section you know getting lost in your old age?

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
OK I'm, a stupid sod, and prefer visual techniques... anyone suggest a video?

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Check out "How to" in the video thread, when PK come on and does some synchronised swimming with bluecat

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by DeepSoulSheep:
does some synchronised swimming with bluecat
always wondered what that move was called?
did ya like louise?? shes ugly aint she.
thought cats didnt like water? mind you that blue is a weird ****er.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Yea I saw louise in there alright
Been giving her a bit of a lash recently, she ain't all that bad really.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:

Since when did waist wrap stop meaning 'When you wrap the poi around your waist'?

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
The term waist wraps come from club swinging and are an entire family of moves. There's loads of link up top.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i got the half louise in total planeage now .... seriously difficult to get right, but i dont spin much anymore.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I've been playing with a forward version of this for a while but I think I only figured it out properly last night. I'm speculating here so correct me if I'm wrong. The forward version of this move is done by stretching the arm to the opposite side across the front of the body. This can be done both high and low.

My first thought was that it should come from behind the body like the one discussed here but the arms ( ) get in the way all the time. By swapping the side you come in from you get around this. Has anyone managed to come in from behind whilst swinging forwards? If so the opposite should also be possible (coming in from the front while swinging in reverse?)

Also I don't know a many variations of this move so if anyone has anything interesting that might be nice. Like turning in and out of them (managed a few sporadic turns) but is it possible to turn from one kind of butterfly waist wrap into another? Maybe some random words that have been thrown around might help ....split-time.....2:1 timing???

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
you missed out fountain. you can't have variations without there being some kind of random combination labelled as a fountain

as for your question...
bf ww can be done forwards and backwards, btb or not.
that mischevious smallboy is a bit of a btb bf ww master and can spin it fwd or rev, in same or split-time.
i do a few 2:1 variations but only with the normal one (btb bf ww starting with rev bf) because like you said, fwd btb bf ww is a bitch (but really good for people that like abbreviating things).

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Cool thanks.

At what stage are you speeding the poi up for the 2:1 though. I presume if you're swapping which hand come is behind that the speed of each poi must change during the move. So do you just speed up the non-btb hand as you bring the other through?

I'm pretty sure I was asking Smallboy about the split-time one when I was over in London. Unless he misunderstood me or maybe I'm misunderstanding, is it the reverse btb ww that he does split-time?

Smallboy?!?!? Any words of wisdom?

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
but can he do a fwd btb bf ww ttn?

and while i'm on the subject, i'd like to recommend that instead of having to laboriously type out 'isolated' all the time, we replace it with a simple ! or ~ or @

furthermore, i think if we actually have to resort to longhand to describe moves, we should at least remove random vowels to reduce the danger of being understood.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
That's fantastic, we need some kind of hieroglyphics which'll mean moves and transitions are just represented by a suitable, easily interpreted picture. I nominate you to put it together Simian

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
smallboy does *all* of them split-time [edit: and simian - the fwd btb bf ww ttn is not necessary as the poi never end up both in front or both behind unless you do it properly and i've only ever seen moohaahaa get close to that. i can do ttn's with the bf in the ww position but i get the feeling you were taking the piss rather than asking a realquestion and now i feel dumb for answering in such detail. leave me alone! ]

and the video of his party has me on it.
and the btb bf ww with 2:1 is pretty much all i do on it...
must have been something i ate :lol

please don't get us onto a x:y discussion via text.
bluecat and i have tried to discuss it and it gets ultra confusing depending on how you define x and y.
with this move, he reckons its a 3:2 rather than a 2:1.
and in many ways, he's right.

if you spin double staff it feels completely normal and makes loads of sense.
if you don't, its feels weird.

try spinning low upwards reels (like rev bf but split with each hand on its own side of the body with one in front, one behind for each beat - basically a mexican wave by your hips).
now play around with varying speeds - spin the right one at 2:1 for a while, try moving your hand up and down for the extra circles (eg. one at shoulder level and one at hip level when poi is behind) and when that feels comfortable, try 3:2 (eg. two circles behind, one in front).

when all this is feeling tight try mixing it with the bf ww's and then put it on a video and show us the sickness (cos if you can find a few variations, this stuff does look super sick).

[ 16. August 2003, 04:01: Message edited by: coleman ]

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Ok, that's enough for me to play with a while, I've not thought too much about having the 2 point going different speeds...j

Won't drag you in anymore than that

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
I'm impressed... there wasn't a single argument about what a waist wrap was or whether it was the same as a lower fountain

"Moo," said the happy cow.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Waist wrap and lower fountain are the same move. So are butterflies, corkscrews, hyperloops, airwraps and isolations. You just have the poi moving in different directions and put your hands in different places...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Isn't a waistwrap one of those treatments rich american ladies get at health farms?

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

peaches**86943thats sooooo not where i parked my car...................
198 posts

Posted:
taking in to consideration i have only been twirling for a little over 6 months all this tenchnical talk about wrist wraps and 5 beat weaves and twirling it from here to there to under there and........u get the picture.it's all really starting to scare the young one
so unless some one would like to explain to me what these terms are in plain english this little duck will have night mares of her pois for weeks

(i dont like knowing something i cant understand-i frightnens me!! eek)

please help confused

love f!reth!stle

we cant stop here its bat country!!!!!!!!!!!

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
the way i see things are heading right now is that twirling can be explained in the same way as sight swap juggling.
Nothing much else can be said on clasifications of said moves, said move being waist wrap and pretty standard twirling pattern than can easily be explained and allready has been by glass.
All moves have variations with in them all, so dont worry your self too much, one day it will come to you, just twirl your heart out with what you can allready do an as and when you discover new moves with in your own abillity you will come to understand such said moves and variations within.
hoping that makes some sense as its 2.30am right now. wink

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
don't lie pk... explaining poi in words is like trying to teach a blind man to paint via color paterns...

ubblol

just kidding.. good luck to the newibie...

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
Neener neener... I've learned poi moves solely from text descriptions. It's possible, I tell you! It can be done!

E pluribus unum, baby.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Me too. ubblove

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

soldaribusy-tofu!
133 posts

Posted:
Quote:

all this tenchnical talk about wrist wraps and 5 beat weaves and twirling it from here to there to under there and........u get the picture.it's all really starting to scare the young one
so unless some one would like to explain to me what these terms are in plain english this little duck will have night mares of her pois for weeks

Mmmm. Poi nightmares ubblove, my favorite! these are actually quite 'basic' moves, yes, they can be taught through words redface

a waist wrap is a 3bt weave to a reverse 3bt weave where you do a carry. So if you're able to go from fwd to reverse by turning your body 180°, try it by only turning your arms.

As for the 5bt weave... try it with clubs: do a basic 3bt, add an extra beat with you left hand when it's on your left side, and your right hand when its on your right side. Instead ov doing the 'over-under-out' figure, its more like an 'over-under-under-out-out' wher at the second 'under' you palm is facing upward and coming back across umm. Or you can check out Mots' amazingly useful poi page. Or do a search tongue

I'll stop now because I feel I'm contributing to further obscuration of the 5bt weave ubbrollsmile . But you should get it soon enough. If you feel like investing a bit to avoid the tourment of poi nightmares, I recommend the 'Poi Spinning' book you can buy online at HoP; it helped me out a lot to get solid poi basics.

Good luck in your spinning! weavesmiley

there is no better way to say I love you than with the gift of a spatula!

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Quote:

a waist wrap is a 3bt weave to a reverse 3bt weave where you do a carry. So if you're able to go from fwd to reverse by turning your body 180°, try it by only turning your arms.

The carry actually counts as one less beat so not a 3 beat to 3 beat.
well it all depends on if your doing a full waist wrap or not.

in front of you and behind works exactly the same:
3 beat on the left [wall plane] to 3 beat on the right [wall plane] then a carry back to the left side.
also you can do it reverse to that so you carry back the opposite direction.

Full waist wraps: 3 beat on the left to 3 beat on the right, carry to btb 3 beat on the left then 3 beat on the right then carry back in front to 3 beat on the left [back to the start]

same again working in both directions.

simple variation of waist wrap in front is to carry above the shoulder rather than just to the side.

learning carries will help with your transitions too and also make you think a lot less when transitioning between certain moves, which in turn will help progress your style and types of moves you normally when twirling.

I'd say that waist wraps and carries is the first logical steps towards moving on from BTB weaves and butterflies, and most of all once you have them down and start to think of other variations, learn to do butterfly variations btb wall plane as this will halp you "dial" in both directions on in front / behind and full waist wraps and aid you in learning to transition from in front to BTB smoothly and a little less effortless.

tips: if doing BTB wall plane, and you spinning on the right side fo you make sure you look towards the left and visa versa, this adds a little twist to the waist and you dont actually have to be able to reach all that way around to be able to keep you poi spinning in plane.
Always to keep your arms and musscles supple, do loads of stretching with your arms, mostly btb, try and learn them as shadow poi [with out poi, just hand movements] and try and learn the timing of the move, by now your abillities and ammount of moves you can allready do should give you the knowledge to work this out for your selves.

As we progress most people tend to figure most things out in the end, but to a newbie its a case of keep reading and try and look for these moves in videos.

i hope this helps some what with some of you, its been a while since i explained any thing in text. wink

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
*bump for duballstar*

my quick advice for learning full ww is to learn a combination of front and back ww that fits into a full ww (ie same spin direction and same carry) and then just try and get from front to back using the carries.

this will give you a one beat transition between front ww and btb ww - that is a full ww smile

the one i find easiest is anti clockwise on left hand side, top carry.

using this an an example starting btb on the left:

spin to right hand side btb as normal.
now, on the carry your left hand will carry back to the left hand side as normal (btb).
however, your right hand is not going to carry back to the left hand side btb but instead, carry across to the left hand side in front.

this will leave you in the correct position to spin a front ww.

then when you get to the right you do the opposite top carries to last time (left hand top carry in front, right hand top carry behind) bringing you back to the position we started in.

hope this helps some.
good luck ubbrollsmile

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
thanx dude... that's a good explanation beerchug
should help me picture what i'm doin better.... it's all about getting my carries dialled!

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Not the dreaded waist wraps again smile Anyhow, something I noticed recently about my WW’s was that I wasn’t doing a proper btb carry. Instead of having my wrists and the poi wicks pointing up on the btb carry, I was being slack and letting them point towards the ground on the btb carry. I find that keeping the poi pointed up on the carry makes it a lot easier to do the WW’s. Has anyone else noticed this, or am I crapping on as usual?

For the record. The waist wrap (WW) is not a 3-beat move. You can add extra beats, but IMHO the three-beat weave or chase, as described at HOP, is really another move. This may seem pedantic, but I think it’s important to know the difference b/t both types of moves. I tend to do WW’s with clubs and the weave/chase with poi.

There are descriptions of the “waist wrap” in Michal Kahn’s, highly recommended, Poi Spinning book (available at the HOP shop) and in Anna Jillings Club Swinging book (link in club thread, p. 1).

EDITED_BY: Stone (1076457440)

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Page: