Page:
Sexy Chickmember
27 posts

Posted:
How do you keep the poi from hitting your head? (I'm just starting)

Walking slowly through the rain...Without worries theres no pain...If you see a shooting star...All your problems seem so far.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
2 options:
a) Practice more
b) Wear a helmet

Both will reduce the occurance or effect, but you will never stop hitting yourself with poi. It's part of the fun

shizN0Tmember
184 posts

Posted:
hell yeah. I have been spinning for a while now. you just push yourself more and more. I get hit in the head all the time...
I actually got hit SQUARE in the eye the other night. didnt touch any other part of my body, just my eye. I thought I was gonna fall over

I smell something burning.

Sexy Chickmember
27 posts

Posted:
I was really wondering b/c its really hurting...bad....lol
thanx
(b-t-w i dont wear helmets)

Walking slowly through the rain...Without worries theres no pain...If you see a shooting star...All your problems seem so far.

Kittytheravequeenmember
285 posts

Posted:
im just starting too *ouch* its even worse coz its rainin so im doin it in my room. i cracked my window the other day!!

i'll draw you a picture ill draw it with a twist ill draw it with a razorblade ill draw it on my wrist and if i do it right a red fountain will appear washing away my sorrow washing away my fear

Ictusmember
60 posts

Posted:
There's nothin for it but to give the poi a good whirl...and dodge the ends if they get too close, trying to keep a continuous motion. I find this helps to train your overall body movement to be more flexible.

Also, few knocks and bruises in the mean time makes your head rock hard and you can put on a good show smashing it with flaming planks of wood...

Art is a re-creation of the world according to the artist's metaphysical value-judgements -Ayn Rand

Time is the fire in which we burn -Gene Roddenberry

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
just aim to hit your head, you'll miss it every time

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
If it hurts when you hit yourself you're going too fast. Speed is crap, style is everything.

AustinBRONZE Member
54 posts

Posted:
yeah it really sucks bein hit. You should try to figure out why they are coming so close to you, maybe your arms are to close or summin. All i know for sure is that when you hit yourself its best to keep going as if it didnt happen rather than hold it as that aint gonna make ot better. Bets of luck

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
if the poi want to hit you, they will, nothing to do about it, theyre evil little buggers...

just be glad you dont have testicles for them to target...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Dom is crap. Speed is everything. Compensate for lack of style with speed.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Bloody raver!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
TrEeHuGgIn FiRe HiPpY!

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
hmmm, that's the second time today I've been called a tree hugging hippy. The first time was by a druid.

HitokageSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
My advice...you'll stop hitting you're head by hitting it more. No, really. In other words; practice, practice, practice! The more you hit your head the more it will hurt and the more careful you'll be in the future (whether conciously or unconciously) to *not* hit your head again. I'd suggest large washers or coins with holes in them as weights on the end of the poi as weights. Whiffle Squeek and I both found this method very effective in minimizing mistakes.

or...if you don't like that answer. Do what my dad always said, "if it hurts when you do that...don't do that!" Silly, you answered your own question--
"How do you keep the poi from hitting your head?"
"Don't hit you head."

Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever -Mahatma Ghandi

Burning--the process of breaking things down into a simpler form. -Hitokage-

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
there will even come a time when you start hitting yourself on purpose...... then you enter the yummy world of contact wraps and generic thrashing around....

ahhhhh bruises. Dont we love them so!

Currently on the right side up of the world.

Liquid Popmember
62 posts

Posted:
yes hitting your head does hurt and the one who said "just be glad you dont have testicles for the little buggers to taget" (or something close to that) is totaly right. trying to learn the 5 beat weave i nailed my nuts so many time that i almost couldnt walk. but now im learning the backwards 5 beat weave and hiting my self in the head countless times, its much less painful in the face i would have to say. well keep on swingin
the one 420

if practice makes perfect, and no one is perfect, then why practice?

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
get/make softer poi. it will hurt less.

"They're interdimensional fractal intelligences. That's why they wear funny shoes."

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Cover your head in bubble wrap?

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
Softer poi are the go.

I made a pair by sewing some toy fur into small square pouches, half filled em with rice then sewed up the end. Put a metal eyelet in one corner and you now have some softer poi that you can interchange on your chains.

These are softer than tennis balls

badda bing, badda boom - less bruises

So much fire, so little body hair...

RaverShokmember
17 posts

Posted:
I agree w/Dom, style is the key element of poi, speed is shit. You can go as fast as you want but if u aint got style u dont have shit. When you battle someone else the person with better style is always going to beat the one with just speed, speed has no rythym, you might as well turn off the music.
i'm out, ravershok

Tambomember
97 posts

Posted:
I was practicing on a really cold day, up in the north of England. It was so cold my nose was all red and running and I wholllopped my self right on the end of my nose! It made my eyes water and throat feel all funny!

adren@linemember
249 posts

Posted:
try staff! or just make some of those wooly ball things you used to make in prep, the one where you have 2 doughnut shaped pieces of cardboard and you wrap lotsa wool around them, then cut it down the edge...are you with me? anyhoo, they are great, they doont hurt a bit, in fact they kinda tickle!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Ravershok, I wish you were right. Sometimes when I spin with people who are WAY better than me I get undue compliments by unknowing spectators becuase of the speed at which I spun. I'm comfortable with many new yorkers being way better than me, but do get uncomfortable when I'm complimented/referred to as better when I KNOW that I did an inferior spin on all levels but speed. Especially when I was just starting out and really did just do fast weave moves. Also, even within a spin, people will say "wow, that was awesome how fast you were going at the end there" when all I was doing was a fast weave... But again, this had been discussed to death.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Psychmember
14 posts

Posted:
Oh my god you think it's bad now - just wait till you try learning behind the back moves. My legs were blue for a week!

Nina24member
5 posts

Posted:
AHHHHH !! I feel the same way !! Just started two days ago ... practiced the weave today ...and ouch does my body hurt (especially the top of my arms) ! I do believe that not having testicals is a blessing for girls in this case (or always??). I can't stop swinging ..it's addictive !

Trippa Tessamember
11 posts

Posted:
You'll always hit yourself twirling I've been doing this for over 4 years and I still hit myself though not very often unless I'm trying things I don't know . I beleive the trick is to just relax and just know your not going to hit yourself. The less afraid you are the more control you have.

Keep at it
Tessa

May the faeries be with you

ThomasBRONZE Member
55 posts

Posted:
i started out swinging dog chains without a wick on the end when practicing and learning new tricks with them is a big no no, i've been belted in the eye with them, straight arcoss the back, to the side of the face (many a time) and as well as a very very painful area too!!

Thomas

fireballsmember
8 posts

Posted:
poi in tha head ey? it only gets worse...cause when you start out you kinda expect it but when you've done it for a while it comes with no warning...espessially when you're speeding up...the real trouble is avoiding getting a 'ball in balls'....thats pure hell....
yepp....pure hell......

Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie the Pumpkin Kingmember
141 posts

Posted:
My whole philosophy on poi can be contracted into one short sentence: "A cat is no more a cabbage than a camel is to a bus." All riddles aside it could be translated to this: "If it looks like you are about to f*** up, turn it into a wrap." You might hit yourself, but you'll mean to do it!

A wise man once said to me, Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe! and in a way, I guess he was right.

pHoTiKrBOImember
27 posts

Posted:
lol just take it like a man!!! if u get hit, just shake it off, and keep on going....thats what i did, and im now used to the pain hehe

pHoTiK kReW!!!!!

Page: