tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
Evening all,
I was just wondering if anyone can offer some suggestions on trick/patterns i can go into from any butterfly/variation cos i'm finding it hard to inspire myself and no-one else does this kind of thing nearbye. My main problem is the transition from forward swing moves (weaves etc. ) to the forward butterfly. i don't flow too well. I like to flow from trick to trick as opposed to show one trick then the other and i'm struggling when it comes to changing to and from the butterfly stuff.

PLease help any suggestions would be welcome

Thank you in anticipation

x Tennis x

My cat's breath smells like catfood

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Do you visit HOP video section,no?? The best inspiration for you is to see some videos!..

POI THEO(R)IST

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
obviously to go into butterfly moves from weave type moves you need to get one of the poi going in the other direction.

can you go from having one going one way and one going the other on each side of your body, into the butterfly (on either side)? if so, all you need to swap between weaves and butterflies is to do one of these:

Wrap Listing

hope this is what you were looking for.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
thanks people i've tried a few but i think your overestimating my talent if i list a few specific transitions it may give you a general idea. And by the way i do really ppreciate the help here.
I can 3 and 5 beat forward weave and i'd like to go into the butterfly (simple forward) without just coming out of the weave into a forward swing and slowly go into the butterfly. Do you see where i'm coming from?
I'm in the same situation with reverse weaves into the reverse butterfly.
And along with this i'd like to know way to come out of the butterfly (or some variation btb, overhaed etc. without just flailing. Thank you once again in anticipation.

i can't view the videos college computer regulations etc but thanks any way.

x Tennis x

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
okay, i'm probably not the best person for this but i'll give you my two favourite basic moves for switching from butterfly to weave and back.

the first way i learnt to switch is with a basic thigh/leg wrap:

do a weave then separate your poi (one on either side of your body).
stick one of your legs out to your side and wrap the poi around the thigh and back out.
you now have one poi going forwards and one going back.
bring one over so that they are both on one side or the other and voila, butterfly!

sounds messy to start with but with practice, looks almost seamless and can be done in the time of just one or two complete circles. obviously you can do this in reverse, ie taking a butterfly, splitting to have a poi on either side of your body, wrap and continue into weaves. most of the wraps listed can be used one at a time for this purpose.

my other recommendation (to get out of a butterfly) would be a stop - stops look very neat and are fairly easy to learn. maybe practice with just one arm first:

stand facing a forwards butterfly (in the wall plane sic) and bring one arm (choose the arm holding the hand just above the other when in the butterfly) up and over the other (like the big butterfly but with one arm) and stop the poi, hanging outside the other arm (that is continuing the butterfly movement). **poi moves are so hard to explain, no matter how easy they are to do!!!**
eg. hold left arm out in front of you and spin clockwise (cw). with your right arm, spin poi anticlockwise (acw) (this is just your regular butterfly in the wall plane). bend right arm slightly so poi is closer to you and, continuing the acw circle, drop the poi down to the left of your left elbow so its just hanging there. pull it out of this position into a cw spin and you may continue into weave moves.

and if all this is now *too* simple please realise i'm not anywhere near good enough to wilfully patronise around here! i'm just attempting (and probably failing) to be clear. anyway, i hope this is at least a little help - if only to bump your post for others to see

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Sailor25member
16 posts

Posted:
One of my favorite moves for getting out of a butterfly is to do a double wrap. When you pull them apart into a reverse butterfly, they drop real easy into a reverse weave. Not really hard, and it looks cool. But then I really like to go backwards so what do I know?

Sailor25

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:
Hey Tennis

How goes?

I've got a sweet butterfly to weave transition but I can't explain clearly (it's not hard explain, I'm just pants at the moment) so I'm gonna type loads of stuff in an overly patronising way, probably. Onward!

A Reverse side spin (1 poi per side as usual) can be turned into a forward butterfly.
A Forward side spin can be turned into a reverse butterfly.

To do this when at the bottom of the swing do a 90 degree figure of 8, this puts the poi in front of you spinning in the opposite direction. You kind of have to pull the poi away from their natural direction, a little.

Now start doing some simple crossovers again (same time 2 beat weave). Now think, practice a bit, put the two together and you should find you can side spin in one direction to a butterfly in the other

Ok now do you [insert prefered number] weave, as and when you can bring the to your sides and do the above.

This does work, keep practicing it's very hand.

oh, actually just occured to me that sometimes 90degrees is really hard, if so try to make the butterfly in front flat and let the side spins angle towards each other.

*Oh, just for a minute,* my bed said.
"Don't lie to me," I grumbled.
*But you're so tired...*

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
sounds like a challenge....bring it on.....