Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Can I see a butterfly weave?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Anybody got any mpegs or video online of all of this butterfly weave stuff? I would fly out and see all of y'all and demand that you teach me but I'm grounded for a few months or my NYC friends are going to forget who I am...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
I think I know what this butterfly weave is. Just do a butterfly, and then move it from left to right like you do with a weave. If this is wrong somebody correct me

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
my dad said he is buying a digital camara !!!!!!
wheeeeeee
well i hope he does!! so i can make videos!

and i would sent it to you a video of it...
now ummm
i think jo derry does it on his video here in the video section just for like secs..... im not sure gotta check

Dance like if noone were watching you

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
its just an alternate butterfly that you turn back and forth with. say go forward alternate, then turn left to a reverse alternate butterfly then turn back to forward (by alternate I mean the poi pass eachother at 3 and 9 o'clock instead of 12 and 6) and yes, jo derry does it in the videos section, and on col 1

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Thats definitely not the Butterfly Weave that Myst was doing when he named the move. I know cuz I was there and watched him do it

Butterfly on either side of the body like a weave with hand movements for the crossing LIKE A WEAVE. most people cross a butterfly with hand movements like a 2 beat weave where one hand always stays on top, this isnt the butterfly weave that Myst did. He did it with the 3-beat movement. Tricky.

Its not just crossing an alternate butterfly...that would be...Crossing an alternate butterfly!

Josh

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I'm still trying to get my head around this move.
Would I be right in thinking that it's pretty similar to an alternate crossover thread-the-needle?

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
NYC give me an address, and ill send you that and th e5-beat butterfly weave...

oh yeah and anything else that i can help with just let me know...

[ 16 September 2002, 23:39: Message edited by: pozee ]

anyone got a light?

Loolamember
42 posts

Posted:
Would be nice if you can sent me a copy as well.
Possible?
Please, please...

Loola

The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page...

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
You guy's sure the butterfly weave is not the TTN weave like Bassman posted in his great thread on Split-Time TTN?

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
You could look at it that way, it's more of a timing thing.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I'm bumpin' this up... Someone who knows how to do it with a camera get somethin' online so we can all stop talking about it and see it.

Pleeeeeeeeze!

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
does anyone have webspace that can host a video of this?

i have a couple of clips of people doing (what i consider to be) a butterfly weave but no-where to upload to...

and just to confuse things, although the hands do have to make the one-over-the-other three-beat-weave pattern, can't you do a butterfly weave four ways?

as far as i know you can do: 1. start FORWARDS split-time butterfly on RHS, move right hand to lhs OVER left arm, 2. start FORWARDS split-time butterfly on RHS, move right hand to lhs UNDER left arm, and then the same two variations starting with the BACKWARDS split-time butterfly on the RHS.

stop me if i'm wrong!

[ 24 October 2002, 04:01: Message edited by: coleman ]

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
NYC
I'm on the case. I haven't got a clip to hand, but I can make one.
Meantime you want me to e-mail something else to keep you're head busy.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Email away! (I'll PM my email to you...)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Sounds like you guys are discussing the simple Bf crossover... I always thought the Bf weave was when you put an extra beat on the inside of your arms during the cross over..?

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

DocLiquidmember
97 posts

Posted:
JOSH, you happen to be about the only one who is correct on this thread, that is the move!

And along with pozee, I'll try and sent a vid of that and the 4 and 5 beat bf weave.

And by the way, sorry I've been gone so long everyone. Don't worry though I got new moves and a great new beginning for my Sinature moves thread.

PLUR
DOC

Let us Light up the Night

bubblenutterSILVER Member
29 posts

Posted:
Has a video of this gone up yet? I have been trying to get the butterfly weave for a couple of weeks now. I learn't the forward and reverse TTN and now am playing around with how I am swapping these from side to side but so far I have found three different points at which I could do this with varying beats on either side. All look pretty cool but I would like to know what the accepted butterfly-weave really is
Cheers
Rob

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
there is a video of jo derry doing a butterfly weave. It is floating around in cyberspace as we speak. poiinhtepark had it posted for a while, so do a few other web sites.

"why I should stick my neck out for you is quite beyond my capacity"

https://jez.i8.com/index.html

https://jez.i8.com/Jo-5bt-bfl-weave.wmv

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Taniwhamember
138 posts

Posted:
Flid has a real good 1 imo. And its on fire, u can usually find him in the chat rm.

Its all just smoke and mirrors

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Josh is spot on with what he's said.

It is doing butterflys with the weave hand motions / beat patterns. You can do 3 or 5 beat (which means I guess 7 is possible)

You need to be proficient with TTN on both sides for 3 bt and 4bt TTN on both sides for 5 bt.

Have fun.
Jo.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
What is the TTN weave I have heard people talk about then? Just more exagerated TTN hand movements or what?

also https://video.fire-chains.com/basics.avi

theres the butterfly weave with fire that dragon mentioned, performed by flid.

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
TTN weave = butterfly weave

(I think...)
Jo.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Ok, I just need a little clarification. When you say 3, 5, 7 beats for the BF weave, do you mean on each side or total? Because for some reason I can only do a full bf weave in odd numbers.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Also, I noticed that when I do the BF weave, the same arm is on top when I cross over in both directions. Is that how it is supposed to be or does the top arm alternate? I cant help feeling Im doing this move wrong even though it looks correct. Would be a huge help if someone could post a vido of just straight up normal BF weave. Ive seen quite a few videos with variations or mixed in with other stuff but it doesnt help much. Someone with the ability please post a vid for this move

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Royal,

There's a few vids floating around. See the links earlier in the discussion.

It sounds like you're doing either 2 or 4 beat bf weave if the same hand is on top (probably 2).

Watch your hands when you do it. They should be doing EXACTLY the same as they do in the weave, beat-wise.

I wouldn't worry too much about this move though because, like you said, it looks right whether you're doing it right or not. There's probably only a few dozen people on the planet that would notice the difference anyway.

Jo.

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
I love reading all these different interpretations/definitions, we're probably all doing something very simular but its soo hard to tell

Well, going with the butterfly weave or butterfly crossovers, I've been playing around with behind the back butterfly crossovers. It's going fairly well, though I need to clean it up a bit. Behind the back ttn crossovers sounds fun, that'll be my next step With all this butterfly play I've been neglecting my btb weave turning, I almost had it cleanly but than I went back to the butterfly family .

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
so far, it seems as if everyone else (posting) here learned the non-crossover (2-beat) version first. is this right? i had been doing the crossover (aka TTN, aka 3-beat) butterfly change for about nine months before i even realized that a non-crossover version was possible! i guess that shows how much i butterfly. then again, i 2-beated by default in corkscrew plane (horizontal) butterflying without realizing the difference, so maybe i should've just paid more attention.

now, just to confuse the terminology for "crossover", if you transfer from forward wall bfly to behind the head (angel wings), in the non-TTN version, the top hand becomes the bottom hand anyways! i think that's how i must have gotten into doing the crossover bfly weave before the 2-beat version.

i have to say that that 5-beat video from jo definitely impressed me. i've got to get that move down next. you might want to disclaimer that (look, i invented a verb! ) though, cuz the second half is all chase weave, and newbies might not catch on to that at first.
by "newb", i of course mean "me".

--Dut

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Hey Dut,

I believe the thread in which that video was originally posted contained wording explaining just that.

I put the 4 beat windmill and 5 beat weave moves in there as they all have very similar wrist postions and there didn't seem to be much video documentation of the former.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
sweet.. finally.. I got a vid to watch to learn that move I was seeing but didn't understand.. I've been kind running my head into a wall trying to do that from a weave.. I never noticed the butterfly parts... *doh* ahwell.. I guess I'm goign to have to go back and figure out the TTN... bleh.. now I just need to figure out an easy way to do my windmills... for some reason I got 4 beat corkscrew (f and rev) from the forward 5 beat weave.. and I'm working on tt4ransitioning into them from a rev 5 beat weave.. but the windmill thing is killing me.. at least 4 (or would it be 5 beat windmills I'm not real sure since a 4 beat cork is a 5 beat weave.. ) apart from corkscrews and butterflies, I can't get the poi over my head without trying to go -through- my head

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
oh.. and I just noticed that I soooo topic hopped in mypost.. sorry about that..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Hey Rev,

that windmill would be a 4 beat

normal 2 beat windmill with an extra beat both sides.

I'm sure that a 5 or even 6 is possible with practice but ugly as hell like the 6 and 7 beat weave.

Page: