Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Every wrap eplained in only a few short sentences.

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie the Pumpkin Kingmember
141 posts

Posted:
Because I like wraps I want to try to explain how to do any wrap.

All you have to do to pull off any wrap of any kind is put the part of your body or random object in the flight of the chain, cable or cord. The poi will do the rest themselves. To unwrap a little flick of the wrist and or a slight tug and the poi are unwraped.

With a little practice you too can wrap like a pro.

A wise man once said to me, Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe! and in a way, I guess he was right.

garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
Don't wear big baggy jeans with frayed ends!

You can kinda guess the result with fire and now I have some sorta mental block about doing under the leg stuff. Large amount of stupidness really!

Jumping around with your trousers on fire is not fun. redface

"**grumble*spuriouswindmills*grumble**" - Coleman
"if poi was only for girls there wouldnt be many good poi spinners...." - Nx

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
yes
other people wraps.

1. two people stand facing both doing over the head floor plane butterfly
2. person A then moves his butterfly down and forward so that the point where the poi heads should cross is about 4 inches behind the other persons back. these should do a nice gentle bounce wrap (make it gentle) at which point you can bring the poiback into the same above the head butterfly but in the opposite direction.
its harder with poi going front to back as you need to cross yopur arms before wraps
3. practice this with both people both ways then do some fast alternating of up-butterfly-down-wrap-up-other butterfly-down-wrap-back to start

also to be tried with each person doing up and down with alternate hands standing wide legged (horse stance if you can) wrapping round the legs.

this is a logical development of the 'poi fighting' that happens
sometimes when you get too many overexuberant people with fire.
your opinions please

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Denim is the best... well aside from my SWAT team, kevlar, stab proof, explosion dampening black bracers (yes really)

After denim, I'd stick with cotton.

But more importantly is THE FUEL!!! If you are silly enough to use coleman fuel you WILL set yourself on fire EVERY time you do a wrap. If I did my standard butterfly wraps and such with coleman I'd be dead. Stick with lamp oil, it transfers the least (but still be careful and be sure to spin off and such.)

And less importantly is THE CHAIN! smile Ballchain is the best for wrapping. It is the least painful and the least likely to catch. That's the #1 thing I worry about when wrapping with fire, since I already use good clothing and lamp oil.

I believe that the #1 danger that I face when spinning fire is catching a wrap that tangles and won't untangle quickly enough. That's why I'm sure to have a safety that I trust and use chains that are least likely to tangle.. and practice. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Quote:

But more importantly is THE FUEL!!! If you are silly enough to use coleman fuel you WILL set yourself on fire EVERY time you do a wrap. If I did my standard butterfly wraps and such with coleman I'd be dead. Stick with lamp oil, it transfers the least (but still be careful and be sure to spin off and such.)

I spin with white gas. Never lit myself on fire. Do you spin off? I do long wrap combos (40-ish wraps in a single burn) and have never had myself light on fire... could be you're using poi that absorbs a lot of fuel that is hard to spin off? I use monkey fists.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Hrmmm... interesting. I use cathedrals which certainly soak up a ton of fuel. And I use thick kevlar on it. I could spin off for days and I'd still be spewing. I do spin off 99% of the time. The other 1% are spins where I specifically have prepared not to spin off.

I do believe that you aren't transfering... but I can transfer whitegas onto skin with qtips let alone tightly wraped eating batons. I have spun with whitegas and certainly seen people spin with whitegas and hit themselves and not transfer. But I've also seen many whitegas folks set themselves on fire. Whereas lamp oil transfers take much more effort. I don't think anyone would argue that it's easier to transfer whitegas and therefore more dangerous whenever it touches the body.

I know there are some moves which I certainly couldn't do with whitegas... Catching wicks in my hand for one. Banging poi off my back. I think whitegas and my 6 inch plush cathedrals would be very bad. Especially when wrapping.

I think I'm gonna stand behind my statement. The #1 equiptment improvement that you can make to reduce the chance of injury during wraps is to use fuel that doesn't transfer... like lamp oil. #2, wear denim. #3, use ballchain.

Is it possible to do wraps with whitegas and dogchain wearing a lycra shirt? Sure... I just don't see why you would... when it's so easy to use less dangerous materials. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
Ok, a couple of questions here, that have prolly been asked many, many times before, but oh well.

1. - Is kerosene ok for wraps? does it transfer much/at all?

2. - I have a shirt and trousers i use specifically for firespinning, made by king gee/hard yakka (aussie work brands). they're both cotton, and the pants have been 'sanforised and mercerised'. What does that mean? are they ok for wraps?

3. -how can denim be better for wrapping than cotton, given that denim is made from cotton? is it all in the weave?

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I know there are some moves which I certainly couldn't do with whitegas... Catching wicks in my hand for one. Banging poi off my back. I think whitegas and my 6 inch plush cathedrals would be very bad. Especially when wrapping.

I'm editing a video right now (compiling at the moment) of me doing fire poi grabs (stall > flick poi in to hand and throw in to a weave) with white gas and a 2.5" monkey fist. Not too hard, I have worked up to a solid 1.5 second hold before needing to release.

Note: 1.5 seconds doesn't sound like long until you're actually doing it. Count out loud right now, "One, One thousand, Two, one-" and that is about a second and a half if you do it like I do smile Quite long, allows for some cool stuff.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi MiG, kerosene should be ok for wraps. It doesn't transfer as easily as fuels like shelite (white gas) and colemans, which are basically unleaded petrol without the additives. They ignite at very low temperatures, transfer easily and will set your clothing alight. Shelite, imho, is just too dangerous to use for general twirlage. Shelsol T (a solvent sold by Shell) is popular as a fuel in Oz. It doesn't smell like kero and is not as dangerous as Shelite. Firewater from Juggleart is similar to Shelsol T, but more expensive.

If it was any tougher! King gee/hard yakka (aussie work gear) should be fine, certainly as good as denim. I'm not sure about the weave, but light cotton t-shirts would burn easily. You can also get kevlar/denim motor bike jeans/jackets that should offer excellent protection. Also, with fire wraps the poi should not be in contact for very long, but if the wrap tangles, then that's when you risk serious burns.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
ok then. Thanks for all the info Stone biggrin I think i'll stick to kero for general useage. sure it smells like crap, and is sooty and stuff, but it seems fairly 'safe'

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I think I'm gonna stand behind my statement. The #1 equiptment improvement that you can make to reduce the chance of injury during wraps is to use fuel that doesn't transfer... like lamp oil. #2, wear denim. #3, use ballchain.

Is it possible to do wraps with whitegas and dogchain wearing a lycra shirt? Sure... I just don't see why you would... when it's so easy to use less dangerous materials. smile

That's all I was saying.

Doing wraps increases the danger of fire spinning. Doing wraps with fuels that transfer increases the danger of doing wraps.

Can you do a wrap with a dangerous fuel and live? Absolutely. If you do a wrap on bare skin with gasoline and live does that prove me wrong? No. You just took a risk that was totally unnesseary.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Don't wear big baggy jeans with frayed ends!

or completly ripped up jean shorts. i was jumping about in my own little fire ball around my legs last night... devil it's the first time i've scared myself in a while (well about a week redface)

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

Blue light hunterGOLD Member
stranger
22 posts

Posted:
herbybiscuits... wrapping strange ubbrollsmilers. genius, genuis

There are three rules about the monkey in the cage. The first is “we do not speak about the monkey in the cage”. The second is “we do not speak about the monkey in the cage!!!”
The third is not to feed him after midnight or ever get him wet......

Page: