Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Smackin yourself in the head is always an impressive trick lol

Login/Join to Participate

Feemember
80 posts

Posted:
Well well well, here i was yesterday practicing with unlit poi.... when all of a sudden in the middle of an over head loop,i feel this CRACK at the base of my neck/head, youch..... looked cool, but the minor concussion wasnt so fun lol, i think ill practice some more b4 i light them winkSure glad i wasnt spinnin at top speed :S

Why do you like to confuse me so?

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Ouch! That hurts, never done it with wicks, but with glowsticks alot of people on here have /great/ stories to tell of pain stories hehe*calls* Any Beaming Poi stories? *snickers* winkKinudin

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Well I have made some Poi out of Glow in the Dark stage balls and they have been the cause of many an injury so far.Most recently I am having trouble with the quad corkscrew and on the second cycle I normally hit myself in the middle of the back or in the ribs.Most painful have been the head shots though and I am sure I have been close to knocking myself out :P

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
The first night I ever played around with glowsticks I managed to make a sizeable slice across the ridge of my nose. It bleed quite nicely and gave me the hardcore effect I so greatly desire. I think later that night I smacked myself in the forehead, causing yet some more blood.------------------Ambiguous

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Try learning chin whip. I've almost knocked myself out cold and had absolutly no idea how I did it. That was with a tennis ball practice wick too; I don't even want to think what would have happend if there had been something solid on the end.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
i saw a friend k.o. himself with some poi he made out of mouse balls (from a computer) of all things.........well i said to him after i saw him slide down the wall, if your gonna get hi, talk to me and use those things when youve only been doing it a few days...........i think the funniest bit was how he hadnt realised he was unconcious when he was falling down, still talking. he came too on the ground looking slightly perplexed and puzzled by the whole experience, all i could do was laugh..he he heim such a bad friend!!!!

Feemember
80 posts

Posted:
Well.... and update on the head lol, yesterday i smacked the other side and even'd up the bruising..... also hit my nose lol, but i did perfect a few moves YAY my lil sister was watching me (shes so cute) and now i have her wanting to play with fire lol, so i might make her her own pair of poi.... just practice ones though.

Why do you like to confuse me so?

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
I know this is poi but I couldnt resist.. my staff did a good number on my head a few weeks ago... my freinds (except my g/f) all commented on the wonderful sound it made.. lol. Later that day I glanced it off my head again.. actually did a move I couldnt have done otherwise, but I dont think it was worth the new transition... :P------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

spicychickenmember
19 posts

Posted:
glowstick in the eye = pain.

nattymember
14 posts

Posted:
6 month clubswinging in my room and luckyly the mirror survived although many times clubs were flying around me more than swinging. but i broke my unkle coz did acro while i swung at top speed. hurted much but now im wiser.

###surrounded by natty###

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
You broke your uncle?!Man - bet he was p!ssed... wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Holy crap, Sponge! Where have you been?I haven't seen a post from you in ages.

Jesus helps me trick people.

The Welcome Mattmember
193 posts

Posted:
Oh I know all about the head smacks. Dont get me wrong, I love my beaming poi, but after a good smack in the head, I hate them for a few days. Then I'll go back to it smile All in all... its good, wholesome poi fun.I love the buzz poi even more.. they are more fun------------------I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

Demonthesysmember
11 posts

Posted:
ive been known for the ocasional phantom poi to the face....although after a few weeks of trying teach one of my friends, i learned it can be a good way to get ur "students" to not be so discouraged when messing up....

In order to create apple pie, you must first create the universe.

Weazalmember
13 posts

Posted:
yea, hitttin yourself sucks I have a permenant scar above my right eye from when I was learning the Quad corkscrew beaming poi, needless to say I didn't touch them for a couple days after that.

MalkavDeSademember
8 posts

Posted:
unless their perfect, i think everyone who's ever picked up a set of poi has their own pain stories. was at a rave one night, all swept up in the energy, and swinging for all i was worth. at one point, i managed to peg myself directly above my eye. hurt like hell, bled everywhere (according to my friends, the skin is really thin by your forehead and there's a lot of veins behind it, so it probbly looked a lot scarier than it felt) and when the party finally ended, i looked down at my sides, and icouldve put an eggplant to shame. i couldnt walk for the next few days either. but from what i understand, its all a part of learning. i think it goes something like "if you hit yourself often enough, your muscles will memorize the right movements just to avoid getting hit again. (after 2 months of hitting myself with a weave, i can now say that i can do the weave at blinding speeds without fear of hurting myself.(it took a lot of pain to be able to claim that skill)

Be Alert. the world needs more lerts.

Dru Lee Parsecmember
78 posts

Posted:
I was practicing/playing the other night. I was going from regular butterflies to giant butterflies alternating back and forth.I remember thinking "Wow, when you come out of the giant butterfly to the regular butterfly you can really get some serious speed going on these poi".So I was zoning out on how cool the speed difference looked going from the slow giant butterfly to super fast regular butterfly when, at the fastest part of the regular butterfly, the poi tangled. blush Yep, the poi (at top speed) tangled and changed their plane of motion. Unfortunatly the "boys" were also in that plane. Just milliseconds later I was curled up in a fetal position on the ground clutching the "boys" half crying, half laughing. Amid the fog of the pain I remember thinking "At least they wern't beaming poi".A couple of hours later my wife came home from school and I told her what I did. Coincidentally, her first comment was also "At least they wern't beaming poi".Yow! Smacking yourself anywhere with beamers sounds downright dangerous.

For a good Prime, call:29819592777931214269172453467810429868925511217482600306406141434158089

Kinniemember
7 posts

Posted:
What are buzz poi?Yowch, "the boys"!? Haha, sounds awful. I hit myself quite a bit, but for some reason I have about 6 bruises on my left leg and none on my right one... can't quite figure that one out.Glowsticks hurt like a bitch though... they're like little whips!

Pardon me while I burst into flames. I've had enough of the world, and its people's mindless games...- incubus

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
mmm, whilst practicing horizontal throws, the wind musta taken my staff (ok, it was really just a crappy throw, but whos gonna admit that) and moved it just behind my head were it was out of my vision, so i like an idiot merely raised my hand hoping to catch the rogue staff, but it rotated nicely around my arm and smakced me in the cheek bone...it was painful...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!