Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > i need help with 5b fwd weave!

Login/Join to Participate

GoaFiremember
71 posts

Posted:
hellooo...okay i can do the fwd weave n btb weave but when i try n do the 5 beat weave...my body wont let me....my hands fuck off over to the other side so i can only do the normal weave..how is the 5beat done exactly...my head cant get round it.... frowna mouse in need... smilegoafiresorry ignore this topic...just delete it or something......sorry.... frown..my comp was being a bitch n now its not...im really sorry...i bet ur getting annoyed with the amount of times this questions asked..[This message has been edited by GoaFire (edited 22 September 2001).]

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Just screw around with it. Try to leave it spinning at your side a bit longer so it does an extra rotation.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

WuGgaRoOmember
123 posts

Posted:
dude its hard as heck....what u gotta do is try out a 4 beat weave..by doing a motion above and below ur armpit....on each side...so thats 4 total...now once uve got a hang of that...try to do it on the opposite side or ur strong hand...so if ur a lefty..do it on the left...righty..do it on the right...now...on that side..,..once u did a motion above and below ur armpit...make ur wrists follow the poi and interlock with eachother...so that your strong hand's fist...is facing the right side...and a bit up....and ur weak hand's palm is facing down...and toward the weak side...then use ur strong hand to move the poi over...remember...ur wrists r interlocked right now...so that the vein part of your weak hand is against the forearm (or fist side) of your strong hand....there...i hope thats sum help...thats how i did it...i hope i broke it down for u enough to get the motion..but once u get the motion...u must promise to feel the beat....cuz if you dont....u cant accomplish the move...

Follow Wuggarooism10)Dons't cheateth on thee's significant other9) If thou seest a pig that resembles thee's friend...dont eateth the pig...perhaps it is thee's friend8) If thou talkest shit..thou is a pansy7) Don't buttith into conversations for it will be over thous head6) Dont let stupid comments go unpunished they can only leadest to thous anyurysms5) Dont lie to your friends4) Thou areest what thou arest don't change thou for anyone 3) Masturbation isnt a crime2) When a horse comes up to thou and sayest baaa thou must run!1) Be excellent to eachother

Twirl Girlmember
14 posts

Posted:
Just keep it there on each side a bit longer while trying to keep the poi moving, also I found that stretching your wrists help alot. I found it easier learning with comet poi.Keep trying, you'll get it!------------------Lisa[This message has been edited by Twirl Girl (edited 22 September 2001).]

Lisa

Janglamember
155 posts

Posted:
The way I did it was to put the poi down and hold your left hand out in front of you, palm down and fingers curled as if they were in your poi loops. Next, put your right hand accross your left, facing the other way up. Your wrists should now be together and your arms forming a cross. Now move both arms in an upward curve to your rigth. This is the position when your poi go into the last beat of the weave. Putting the hands the other way and on your left side is, obviously, the opposite to the right side!Now just practise unravelling your wrists from one side to the other and you have the moves down!Do this enough and it will embed itself in your mind so when you grab the poi - eureka!Hope this helps - it only took me a couple of days to get - the btb stuff was harder for me!------------------"We are all of us in the gutter but some of us are looking up at the stars."

---------------------With a bit of luck, his life was ruined; always thinking that just behind some narrow door, in his favourite bars, men in red woolen suits are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.

GoaFiremember
71 posts

Posted:
i didnt think ne1 would reply but thanks for your help.....*smiles*goafire

TaiGuymember
127 posts

Posted:
hey, well i learned the btb and 5b in reverse order from you, and all i can say is that if you're able to pull off the btb, the 5b should be cake. learning the 5b takes a few min of trying, and not NEARLY as painful as the btb. So g'luck, and like everyone says, it's more of knowing when to cross both hands over. and if it's ne help, unlike the 3 beat where it's 2 on the opposite side and one on the same side, the 5b involves 3 on the SAME side and 2 on the OPPOSITE side. Strange eh? took me a while to realize that, hope it helps!

The reason communism doesn't work is because people like to own stuff

GoaFiremember
71 posts

Posted:
ahhhh...okees...ive been trying to do 3b on the opposite side n 2b on the same side...DOH...hehe...cheers i shall try this out when i get the chance...its raining all the fucking time here at the moment... frownthanking yoosgoafire

protozoaGOLD Member
148 posts

Posted:
Heyhey! Yep, the 5-beat really kept me up a few nights. Very tricky, but it feels so cool when you get it going!Remember when you first got the 3-beat weave down pretty well? It probably felt like a lot of work on your arms; lots of futzy moving around. Well, the 5-beat weave steps it up a bit on your wrists. The key is keeping your wrists loose and fluid; they really do a decent amount of wrapping around each other before you get over to the other side.You also have to do a bit of twisting at the waist, just a little more than the regular weave, so that you have enough time to do all those revolutions on each side. smileGood luck! Let us know how you fare.-prote

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
ok - basically dude, keep your hands on the same side and keep twisting em (use your fingers to twist more) and then drag both hands (they should be really crossed up) across your body after the two extra rotations on that side.You will find that the 3-beat crossing hand tries to cross, and that tangles your poi (one hand accelerates)...erm...It took me ages to get it, but like protie said, its great once you get it. rvs is a bit trickier again, but its jsut a matter of crossing your hands up as much as you can and then dragging em across at the appropraite moment.The cool thing is once you get this one, you can use the same skill to do the 4/5-beat cork and the 4/5-beat windmill.Josh

candyflissnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
well,
it took me a while to get the 3bt but then the 5 bt seemed to come quicker, or at least partly.
the problem is i can do 1 side of the 5 bt, but then i tangle as i try n continue.
also i think its a timing thing, but as i do the final beat of the 5 bt, my poi seem to move almost together, rather the alternately!

easiest way for me so far has to start alternate swinging, then weave, then 3 bt, then just try and swing another on the same side.

is there another, possibly easier way to do this?

cheers,
x Fliss x

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
well, the way i teach the 5bt is with the "wrist grab" technique. This assume that you are using poi with fingerloops and not something with a knot on the end you have to grab (though still possible, just harder to hold on to).

So imagine you are doing a 3bt weave forward. lets say you just finished the first circle on your left side. this means that you are about to bring your left hand over accross your body to the right side of your body. now, in a 5 beat you don't want to do this, instead you want to leave your left hand to come down STILL on your left side and s your right hand is coming up (on left side) your wrists should "catch" and your right hand should PULL your left hand accross to the right side of your body (while completeing the circles).

Now this is all ahard to understand at first. But bear with me.

So, the hard part here is coordinating the left hand staying and following the right. The "easy" way in my opinion is this:
As the left hand is coming down (instead of crossing as in a 3bt) open your hand a bit and litteraly GRAB the back of your wright wrist. then simply IGNORE your left hand. concentrate on what your right hand is doing. pull the right arm accross your body. it will pull the left with it. And if you aren't spinning TOO slowly, the left poi will fall into place where it needs to be. Of course getting the poi perfectly split timed takes practice, but this way you get the motions down.

wis hi could explain intext better, if i had a cam i'd video it for ya. GOOD LUCK!

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

Fire Taigermember
105 posts

Posted:
it's kinda like, well you see, you um..., take the poi and, uh.......
it kind of defies explanation. just let you wrists wrap one another and pull across quickly. it's hard to figure out, but once you get you'll wonder why it took so long.

since were already on the subject, can anyone help with a reverse five beat, i can do a reverse four beat but only if turn into it.

The quest for poi perfection may bring much enlightenment...
and burns
OOUUUUCCCHHHHIIIEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
https://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7931165167536905926&pl=true

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

JonnyRokBRONZE Member
Look! I'm Darth Bunny!
446 posts

Posted:
!click me!

A link to a gif in the free lessons showing the correct hand movements for the 5bt weave, hope it helps smile

Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Yo ho fiddle dee dee, being a pirate is alright to be,
Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

chaz_peersnewbie
2 posts

Posted:
i can do all of the other weaves except the 5 beat how do you actually do it because it is rather confusing now

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
really, you can do the 7 and 9 beat but not the 5? wow biggrin

teehee, jokes aside, you let your wrists relax and drop back round your arms, you can kind of explain the forward one by saying if on right, drop wrap hands round till they both have palms facing right, then push both hands across the body to the left side of you, then as they're on the left, wrap round till both palms face left, then transition across again.

the 7 and 9 are similar, but involve painful wrapping at the elbow too (I've never actually seen the 9 but I've been assured it's real) , and really not worth it imo, lots of prettier other tricks to learn smile

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

wendyv34GOLD Member
stranger
5 posts

Posted:
If your hands keep trying to go back to 3 beats on autopilot, try stopping on one side (instead of crossing), with your wrists locked together and let the cords wrap around your wrists. Once they have stopped, pull your arms over to the other side. Pump both arms together to get the poi unwinding, when they are unwound, cross your wrists again and let the poi wind up again. Pull your arms back over to the other side. Repeat until you can do it without coming to a stop. Eventually you'll get it without wrapping around your wrists, pushing the cord with your other hand, then getting the wrists twisted just right. Remember, it's winding & unwinding! This works for forward & backward. I thought forward was way easier to master, taking only about an hour for me to get. Your experience may vary. BTW : Nick Woolsey has a great reverse 5 beat video on playpoi now. weavesmiley

RaverBebeBRONZE Member
14 posts

Posted:
Glad to see that I'm not the only one having trouble w/ this.

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
There a 5beat weave tutorial on here of a guy with long black socks. You can see the hand movement easily on this and its what i learned off

RaverBebeBRONZE Member
14 posts

Posted:
Thanx, I'll check that one out. I've watched the playpoi vid, and it explains it really well. My body just doesn't like to do it. LOL I'll get it EVENTUALLY!