Forums > Social Chat > Attractive hair coverings

Login/Join to Participate

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
I have a lot of curly, fluffy hair that I don't want to lose. When I spin, I wear a bandana or a wool hat over it. This makes me feel safe, and that makes me happy. But this issue is more hand-in-hand with the costume advice threads that have been floating around...

The problem: I hate the way my head looks without my hair down. When I wear ponytails or buns, I always leave a few curls down to frame my face. My jawline simply isn't sharp enough without at least some of my hair down.

One possible solution: I've been thinking of attaching cables or strings of beads to my hat that could take the place of my hair while I spin. Not sure if it'd look good, but I'll probably try to put something like that together when I get a chance.

Any suggestions on more attractive ways to protect long hair while spinning fire?

Disclaimer: Yes, I did a search, and found many threads on fire safety and hair safety. I know how to keep my hair safe. I just want some thoughts on how to keep my hair safe without looking quite so unattractive in the process.

E pluribus unum, baby.

DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
I think that the false hair would work fine, at least it would in my case since I spin usualy at night so it wouldn't be too obvious. But at any time of day it would be fine since the audience would be just distracted enough by the fire to not notice whether or not it looked quite right.
How about a wig? Preferably one with real hair i guess since you wouldn't want to accidentaly hit the wig and send molten plastic all down your shoulders...

P*L*U*R

funkymonkymember
192 posts

Posted:
if your really worried, make sure you dunk your head in water so your hair thrugholy soaked then tie it up..... works for me.....

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
or simply wear a bucket on your head when spinning...

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
soaking your hair is definately an option. i have the same problem, as i have very long hair and hate having it up. i tend to tuck it up into a beanie, but i wish i could leave my hair down. i'm not sure attaching something to your cap is completely a good idea cause you never know, you could accidently catch it on fire just as you would with your hair. but if you try it, let me know if it actually works. i'm planning on getting my braids done again, and the main spinner in vegas used to have her hair done like that too and never had any problems. so that's always an option. the synthetic hair tends to catch fire less and when it does, it only burns the frizzies around the braid.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Have you seen that cap thing Oakley have done with all the cables coming out of the top? Saw a guy spinning in one a while back, looked amazing, like leather dreads.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Narr(*) (*) .. for the gnor ;)
2,568 posts

Posted:
why not try getting you hair done in braids? or braid them back a la Bo Derek, and most of the worlds afro population

she who sees from up high smiles

Patrick badger king: *they better hope there's never a jihad on stupidity*

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
A pink swingin cap? Just for Alice?

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

940 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Eera:
Have you seen that cap thing Oakley have done with all the cables coming out of the top? Saw a guy spinning in one a while back, looked amazing, like leather dreads.
What is this and how do I get one? It sounds gorgeous!

And to those of you who suggested braiding or dreading my hair: I can't. I'm doing the lawyerly thing, and that doesn't go over well in court. Plus, I like the way my hair looks loose. ^^

E pluribus unum, baby.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
its the f*ckin bad boy:

Non-Https Image Link

saw someone snowboarding with one of these in canada - you don't often see hair on a mountain very often (especially dreads) - the bloke was riding the superpipe and looked mental with black leather dreads flying all over the place

i thought about getting one until i saw the price

i'll just have to carry on growing my own hair i guess

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
That belongs in a freakin' bondage store.

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
Oh god, i love it. Hey Malcom.. *hint hint* *wink wink* *nudge nudge* *kick kick*

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

940 posts

Posted:
Oh, that's just dreamy.....

E pluribus unum, baby.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
And it is, unfortunely $500

I reckon you could get one of those air force leather flying helmet thingies and tack rawhide shoelaces on to get the same effect.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
Psst...

I got one of these on ebay for about $65...

There are always bargains to be found online!

I think I'll try it out on Halloween

Raph

StebbinsBRONZE Member
10th degree spoon weilder
171 posts

Posted:
I just wrap tinfoil around my head when i spin. It keeps the government for accessing my moves.

-Beeaaatch please, I'm the macaroni with the cheese.
-This message will self destruct in 10 seconds.