Page: ...
MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
OK. So here's the plan. I'm coming to Australia. I'll be coming on my own time with about 5 weeks to spare. I'm going to Christchurch for 3-4 days to visit some dude I know... biggrin

It will probably be around september-ish that I'll be going. I need to balance this against a planned trip to South America for some Spanish immersion that I desperately need.

Otherwise, I want to spend about one week in each place. That means four cities, five tops. I'll want to go exploring while I'm there. I can make side-forays, but nothing too extravagant. That means if you want to meet me, you might have to travel a bit. I understand what a pain that is; I live in a large country, too.

What four cities should I pick? Why? Where do you live?

There is one very important person, other than Malcolm, who I want to meet. I want to meet Taj. He's a true symbol of the spirit of this community and he's adorable. ubblove (Valura, honey, we need some photos, pleeze.)

So...where am I going? ubbrollsmile

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

scoshBRONZE Member
non stop uber rocking electro rock party
122 posts

Posted:
i am hoping to go to oz in a couple of years when i go travelling (fingers crossed) but i wanted to go to see the reef but my friend said the fish bite you on the face so now im scared smile

"im quite depressed, im quite a mess, so beat me up, beat me down, mess me up beyond all recognition"

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Indeed a summoning Gnor
I'd say Sarahs probably stalking you already - in a nice way
Ladies if you start subconsiously gravitating towards Adelaide - you know why. Oh and thread starter - looks like youve gotta go now! Female or not Bens power is TOO strong. We canne stop it Capin - she's gonna blow - That sounded really rude and I didnt mean it to....Honest!!
Good luck with the singledom Ben - personally im finding it abit over-rated, but....
Peas

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
OK, so who is going wombat-hugging with me in Perth?
Gnor's taking me...

And then who is going to that Butterfly House in Melbourne with me?

And *SOMEONE* near Cairns wants to go SCUBA-diving with me, right?

-Mike

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Butterfly House? At the Melbourne Zoo?

I'm scared off Zoos (after being traumatised in Romania) so I'd like to go with a big strong Mike holding my hand to overcome my fear ubblove

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
From the killer butterflies?

Actually, I have a dream log entry about killer butterflies...

*rummages around in computer*

Ah! ubbidea here it is!

Written by: Mike's messed-up brain

Night of April 12, 2002 (Location: Nu Sig House in Ann Arbor)

I was the government’s expert on microbial bioweapons. However, Saddam Hussein had thrown a curve ball. He had genetically engineered a race of butterflies (pretty blue iridescent ones) with pincer claws instead of legs. They would latch on to some body part of a victim (right index finger, in my case) and if they were somehow pried off, they would just turn around and — like a homing missile — latch right back on to the same part. They weren’t apparently venomous or flesh eating, but clearly having hundreds of the little monsters clamped (painfully) onto you would be a major hindrance.

For some reason, one was in my garage at home (the house on Kirkway where I grew up) and there were high-ranking government officials there trying to work out the mystery with me. I was trying to get the little demon off my finger long enough for me to run into the house and slam the door. Finally, I managed to get the thing off and smash it into a few pieces, each of which suddenly regenerated into a complete butterfly before my eyes and attacked me...and then I woke up.

-Mike

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
eek I'd definitely be scared of butterflies if i dreamed that!!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Oh the buttflys in the zoo are all so loverly, it is a bit scary though when they flap at you and you are worried that you will squish them.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
You can scuba in the big aquarium in Sydney

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I wanna go scuba diving!!!!!! Me...oooo pick me!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
First off to all those thinking about visiting Australia, a word of warning, yes we do have poisonous animals, and yes we do have wierd and unusual wildlife. But running up to pat these animals is not always the best idea.
Drop Bears

Going on, I'd love to see visitors in Perth and they would sure have a warm welcome (and also in Bunbury, South of Perth, where I am shacked up for the next year).

With all the photos being displayed, I feel I need an electronic stamp...

Non-Https Image Link

MINE, MINE, MINE. wink
Teehee, thank God he doesn't check hop often... ubblove

PhaiGOLD Member
113 posts

Posted:
Okay, I would personally recommend Melbourne over Sydney. But I live in the inner-west of Sydney and so tend to take alot of it for granted. If you do have your heart set on Sydney, I will say the following:

Don't rely on the public transport to arrive at a time convenient to you. I spent an hour yesterday patiently waiting for my bus to shuttle me a few suburbs over. If you do end up taking public transport, try 131500.com - it's a public transport trip planner, and tells you all you need to know about getting from A to B.

Do check out Newtown and Oxford. And perhaps some of Enmore. Don't be thrown by all the emo's, it's generally a fun and happy place. Also bring your wallet, as the prices will rise dramatically in direct proportion to how close you are to the city. However, you can get around reasonably cheaply with a little knowledge of the area.

The Mardi Gras parade is earlier in the year (Feb - March). However, the Sleaze Ball is in late September! It's basically as big as Mardi, but abit 'edgier'. And the after parties just go on and on and on and on... Keep an eye on the site as the tickets will go fast. If you do miss out on it, there's a bunch of other parties happening around Oxford and the Cross at any given time.

Don't take the Monorail. Enough said. Only tools take the Monorail.

Oh, and save yourself some cash and arrange to meet someone at the airport. The transport tickets out of that place skyrocket (though I don't know any place where that isn't true, come to think of it).

Hmm... any thing else? Oh, maybe some time's getting to places. Well, flying from Sydney to Brisbane is an hour and a half. Not that long. And last time I did it I got a cheap ticket that landed me there at about 5am. Since I knew a guy near the airport I just caught the train to his house and ended up on his doorstep ready to dump my stuff and go exploring.

Sydney is relatively tough in finding people to spin with. Dentrassi's thread would be a place to start.

Btw, I would recommend Cairns for the R&R you won't be getting in Sydney. The beaches and the more secluded parts of the Reef are beautiful. Honestly, the beaches at Sydney are hugely over crowded and things are over priced. The only time I remember seeing them bare was a few years back when they were cordoned off due to the Cronulla Riots.

Pip

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
If you end up in Sydney definitely go to Newtown!!!!

If you come to Perth I am sure that there are a number of people that will come wombat hugging with you (I still haven't hugged a wombat and I am a Perth resident *sniff*)

You should come meet some of the crazy Perthites at our fire boards:

https://www.kyelight.net/forum/cgi-bin/YaBB.cgi

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
Common. Ground.

srsly. If you come to australia, and don't go to CG, i'm going to find you and kick your arse. Or maybe attack you with stockwhips. Or both. Or something.

On a somewhat helpful(ish) note, if you're set on perth, one option might be to fly into australia into perth, see the sights, then go from there. I don't know if you can get a direct flight into perth or not, and if you can, it'd probably be more expensive, but if you're going to do the whole country in a month, then time's more valuable than dollars.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
OK. So here is a list of places I plan to visit and how long I plan to stay there.

MJK, sorry, Tazmania is not on the list. I'm going to travel 14,000 km to Australia...consider coming to visit me in Melbourne. It's only an hour flight for you. tongue2

Melbourne 1.5 weeks
Christchurch 2-3 days
Sydney 5-6 days
Adelade 1 week
Brisbane 1 week
Perth 2-3 days

Who does this itinerary miss?

-Mike

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
it misses all the cool cats in canberra and aukland.. of course smile

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
get your butts down here for new years!! shpongle is playing at a big open air festival featuring fire acts too

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
YAY! Perth can def be done in 2-3 days

Though you're spending most your time in cities. Australia is all about the wide open spaces!! I hope you're driving between these places.

North WA is awesome! But that's just my opinion.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: natasqi

Though you're spending most your time in cities. Australia is all about the wide open spaces!! I hope you're driving between these places.

Honey, I live in the U.S. We have even more landmass than you do. And I've driven across it. All of it. One end to the other. In one blow. I have no wish to do that on another continent with a vastly lower population density.

In 1993 I was in Australia and had a nice little walkabout in the outback, climbed Uluru (I know, culturally insensitive and all that happy horsedung), snorkled the Great Barrier Reef, and even ate a Witchetty grub.

I'm going to Australia to meet HoPers this time. Whatever touristy stuff there is to do, I'll get to while I'm there.

For example, you, Gnor, and I are going wombat hugging. hug2

-Mike

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
So what's the latest Doc? Do we have official dates yet? Are you going to make it to CG?!

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
No CG (apparently)...

-Mike

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hey love, when? When are you going to be in these places?
Dates are needed here.
Why you ask?

I land in Sydney on Oct 9, in Melb on Oct 14 and Christchurch Oct 20-28

Seriously love, if we are on the same foreign soil...AGAIN...and still miss each other, our travel agents need to be flogged. They should know better than to do this to us again, after how we tortured them for the Europe miss wink

hug

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I arrive in SYD on 4 November. I depart 7 December.

Further details to come.

-Mike

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
cool!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Yeah. I'll miss the HOP meet, but I will come to Christchurch, Malcolm. So get that lawnmower ready.

-Mike

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
I can't remember but wanted to clarify, is Melbourne on the cards at all or just Sydney?

hug

&#2384;

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
Doc has said to me that he's going to try for Melbourne, but we dont know for sure yet.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Well I did have the money to go to Australia.

My portfolio is now worth F/A. If I hadn't already paid for my hotels in London, I'd be heading straight back to the U.S. today.

We'll see what happens in the next three weeks. But for now, although I have the tickets bought already (for free on FF miles), my trip to Oz is canceled. Can't afford it. Can barely afford my rent and food back home.

Thanks, Congress. Thanks for being such great leaders of our "Great Nation."

-Mike

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
thats a bugger to hear, mike

best of luck to you.. hope to see you soon dude

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Yeah, all I can hope for is a bailout of some sort and then... well, I still have the tickets.

Basically, right now I can't afford to buy the tickets for my intra-Oz flights. So it's going to come down to this. On November 2, I will either show up to the airport or I won't. If I can afford the trip and have managed to buy the tickets, then I will. If I haven't been able to buy the intra-Oz tickets, then someone else gets a surprise window seat.

The outlook is pretty grim, though. A lot of my friends are starting to stockpile food and water back home. Then again, we're Burners. That's what we do.

-Mike

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
oh f*** thats awful mate.

many hug2 to you. looks like im just going to have to get off my fat ass and visit u next year instead.

D.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Page: ...