Page: ...
MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
OK. So here's the plan. I'm coming to Australia. I'll be coming on my own time with about 5 weeks to spare. I'm going to Christchurch for 3-4 days to visit some dude I know... biggrin

It will probably be around september-ish that I'll be going. I need to balance this against a planned trip to South America for some Spanish immersion that I desperately need.

Otherwise, I want to spend about one week in each place. That means four cities, five tops. I'll want to go exploring while I'm there. I can make side-forays, but nothing too extravagant. That means if you want to meet me, you might have to travel a bit. I understand what a pain that is; I live in a large country, too.

What four cities should I pick? Why? Where do you live?

There is one very important person, other than Malcolm, who I want to meet. I want to meet Taj. He's a true symbol of the spirit of this community and he's adorable. ubblove (Valura, honey, we need some photos, pleeze.)

So...where am I going? ubbrollsmile

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
September = possibly the start of october which means COMMON GROUND!

other than that i'd say

Melb, Adelaide, Bris and Sydney.

Sorry Perth lot.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Common ground?

Do tell...

Is it like Burning Man?

-Mike

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:

www.common-ground.net

I'm going to update teh site right now - so it should be updated when you look smile

also [Old link]

the HOP CG thread.

come to Adelaide either way - we have cool stuff

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Josh, you're on the must-meet list.

-Mike

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
That brisbane place is pretty good .

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Once you seen one east coast city you have seen the lot! :P

The top of my list would be:

Brisbane

Sydney

Adelaide

Perth

I am sure lady Gnor will agree with me on this one!

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
So have you been to Australia before? Do you want Austrlain culture or Austrlaina spinny scene or even decent spelling. Do you want active holiday with bush trekking or slack lazy recharging.

I would say Brisbane is a spinny hub. Always say go to Brissie. As well as Taj, Gabes up there with her amazing house.

Adelaide for Common Ground if that in the time slot. That way you get to meet a few spinny types and laze in the grass for a few days.
Adelaide has a big wine area if you like wines.

Melbourne has always had the reputation for an arts town. More food, clothes, music and gobs of spinners ubblove

Perth is a tricky one. I adore Perth but struggle with what to recommend for sight seeing. Down south a few hours has caves and wildflowers and whales with wineries and brewies as well. Way up north has whalesharks.
Perth itself to sight see....mm...we have wombats to pat but a quiet spin scene. Ive ended up doing homestuff like felting and sewing with ppl that come here as singles as I wouldnt know the local party scene if it got up and gave me a haircut.

Perth can also add alot to your airfare bill as its islolated way out west.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Doc Lightning

... going to Christchurch for 3-4 days to visit some dude I know... biggrin

I'll make sure he's away somewhere so we don't have to share you!!! (Unless of course the "dude" in question was not who I was thunking of!) biggrin
Yay, yay, yay!!

Ok, well for Oz-trar-lee-arr places to visit from someone who's only been there as a visitor:
I suggest for the first choice Cairns. Or rather some of the beaches north of Cairns. It's the gateway to the Great barrier Reef and in Sept (which is when we visited) it's not too hot and the jellyfish aren't out in force yet(!). Go on the Skyway to Kuranda etc etc.

I've been to Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane/Gold Coast and Cairns so I think I can state that as a preference.
I wouldn't mind seeing Ayers Rock & Coober Pedy kind of places, but they're a long way from anything else and the picture may be better than the real thing for a short on time visitor, unless you want to experience the heat and flies etc!!

I think I'd start from, & then work down from Cairns. Brisbane, Sydney. Skip further south for Adelaide perhaps - not sure I don't know much about Adelaide smile

But what I should probably be telling you is to forget about Oz all together and spend the whole time here in NZ!! biggrin

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
i highly reccomend melbourne, cos thats we flynt, bender, myself and many more are.. cant recomend common ground strongly enough smile brisbane has an amazing and large twirly crew aswell, but you probably dont need any more persuasion to go there tongue

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Melbourne cool

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rouge Dragon

September = possibly the start of october which means COMMON GROUND!

other than that i'd say

Melb, Adelaide, Bris and Sydney.

Sorry Perth lot.

but you're not going to apologise to the tassie lot? :P

tassie, wilderness, yay! if you went to melbourne you could jump down to tassie for a few days, only $150 return if you book at the right time with virgin or jetstar.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I live with a taswegian; i apologise to them on a daily basis wink

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
I'm in Melbourne. Nuff said wink

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Going to chuck in my 2 cents, thinking back to when we were there last year...

First off, I'm going to upset lots of aussies and say "West is Best" biggrin
BUT, we spent a month just on the west coast and still rushed lots of it - it's properly sparse, though this is also what makes it wicked. For a quick visit, you'd probably not get to see any of the best bits.
Perth as a city is nice enough, but (sorry Perthians) as a tourist, not that much of a draw - the people are wicked though and it's a very friendy spinning scene.

Adelaide - A definite must, one of the best spinning nights (and crowds) i've ever been too, lovely, lovely people, pretty city and has access to some lovely bits a short (by Oz standards) travel away; Wilsons Promentary, Flinders Ranges, vineyards..
Oh, and Ben-ja-men, so you'll have something to oggle wink

Melbourne... Hmmm, managed to miss most of the spinners as we were there when it was rainy (which apparently happens alot). City wise, it's nice enough, St. Kilda's buzzy...

Sydney - A tourist must, and rightly so, we found it a really cool city, and we're not ones for cities smile There's even a beach called "Manly" which surely is reason enough for you to go wink Didn't make it anything spinny, but speaking to Dentrassi, they do happen, but they're spread all over as opposed to one big meet - this might have changed recently though.

Canberra - Sucks (Sorry anyone living there, but meh...). Mission to get to, and not really worth it when you get there. Lots of 'roos.

Brisbane - Wicked place, wicked people. Moonfest ain't happening anymore, but the fire scene there is quality.

With the exception of Canberra, aussie cities are wicked as they all have beach on one side, bush on the other so you get to do pretty much anything when you're there.

Didn' make it to Tasmania (sadly).

PS. Think me and Mrs Durbs are returning to Oz in February biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Durbs

but speaking to Dentrassi, they do happen, but they're spread all over as opposed to one big meet - this might have changed recently though.

nope hasn't changed - we don't tend to do big spinning gatherings in sydney...we have quite an anarcho organic approach to organising events... ubbloco

but Sydney has Newtown and Oxford Street, we have the Imperial hotel, it's the home of the Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras...the blue mountains, hunter valley, south coast...

we have all the cultural icons of Australia wink including the opera house, the harbour bridge, the botanic gardens, bondi beach, coogee beach, manly beach...

what more could you want...

oh, and the hospital up the road uses clown doctors to entertain the kids in the children's hospital...

Non-Https Image Link

EDITED_BY: Ade (1186707259)

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
hehe wicked! smile Durbs - tis a pity you couldnt have stayed longer in Adel! - hope to see you when you come back smile

BTW - Wilsons prom is really really beautiful but its about 10 hours from Adelaide at 110kph, from Melbourne only 2-3 smile

PS CG site is updated! look for beautiful pics on front page from last years event!

Josh
EDITED_BY: Pyrolific (1186713417)

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Yep, for you Doc, I'd say Sydney rather than the trek to Perth. Which is utterly unfair to Perth cos I've never been there. Cos Sydney is like the San Fran of Oz in terms of gayscene and general beautiful cityness.

Not much I can say about Bris that hasn't been said. I'll think of something to say after 2UberOz! Hmmmm that time of year.. might be time for Uber3Oz!

Cairns is good if you like rainforest and reefs. Not much else happening there. It's only 2.5 hours from Bris by air so it's possible to do that from Bris.

So fly into Bris late August, side trip to Cairns, fly to Syd then Adelaide. Rent a car in Adelaide and drive to Melbs along the Great Ocean Road. Great trip.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Melbourne. Brisbane. Sydney. Adelaide definately

I know I'm not a regular HoPper like I used to be but I'd still love to meet you Doc!

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
or you could fly into sydney, drive to brissie, check out cairns, fly to ademalaide, drive to melburp and fly home...

or any one of a gazillion combinations

ubblol ubbloco weavesmiley

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Brenn

I'm in Melbourne. Nuff said wink

Right, so stay away from Melbourne I guess Doc! biggrin

Written by: Durbs

PS. Think me and Mrs Durbs are returning to Oz in February

With a side trip to Chch perhaps???

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
George...what about Perth!!!

Can I say again that Durbs is awesome ubblove ubblol wink

Is it the Truth?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Meh Durbs is alright... rolleyes ubblove

See you when you get there Durbin?

*ping*

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Durbs also came with a Linda which was extra good.

Is it the Truth?

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I should hope so... rolleyes

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
nmmmm.. gives someone to have conniptions when the fuel light comes on in the car wink

Is it the Truth?

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
confused

grin

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
*at Dave*

PONG!!!

Ooooh, I can't wait to meet all of you! bounce

-Mike

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mr Majestik

tassie, wilderness, yay! if you went to melbourne you could jump down to tassie for a few days, only $150 return if you book at the right time with virgin or jetstar.

I'm not going to be able to make it to Tasmania. Maybe if I had two months...

Why don't you pop up to where I'm visiting and see me? Only $150 return if you book at the right time with Virgin or Jetstar. biggrin

-Mike

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Really - which Australia are you after, Doc?

the spinning

the white

the suburban

the touristy

the nature

the aboriginal

This is a big country, Dude - no prob to spend a year travelling and having the impression you still missed the lot (by not staying in one place). Stunning, unique and a dream it is in any which aspect (to me at least)...

Which way are you travelling? Air, rail or the common road?

If i`t's the common road (car or bus), you will find that the ride from Sydney to Brissie stops in Byron for the night wink Oh, yes you are from the US so you know about vast open spaces with nothing much more than plains, forests and roadkills... (my first 10 roos were all silently lying next to the highway)...

Cities: Melbourne, Perth, Sydney (in that priority, even though Sydney IMHO is the prettiest metro I have seen in my life) and of course Byron Bay (with little to no expectations) and it's hinterland ("if you don't know about Nimbin, you don't need to know"... wink errm I am basically referring to the markets, like the "Shannon Arts and Crafts Market")

Nature/ Parks: Border Ranges National Park, of course Mount Warning for the first ray of sun (of the entire continent) in the morning, Witsunday Islands and the Great Barrier Reef, Daintree National Park, Glasshouse Mountains. (Boulder Rock National Park and the "Aussie Gran Canyon" will be too far off your track I guess)

As for Aboriginal culture you will have to refer to the Aboriginal Culture Centres (located in "major" cities) and Aboriginal Art Galleries. I would advise you really go there, look and listen - don't miss out on this unique opportunity to meet the "real" locals wink Their views on the world, their myths and tales are so far different to the common western mind that you may not understand much, but your heart will. Aboriginal Homeland might only be visited on prior registration with the Aboriginal Council and in some places do not expect to be warmly welcomed.

oooops - my time is running.

Keep us posted, September is close to come smile

Enjoy the great outdoors wink a nice contrast to what you experience in NYCity wink ubblol

PS: The spinning side of Oz is certainly one that I am looking forward on my next visit (sigh) will have to wait...
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1186753223)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Gnor

nmmmm.. gives someone to have conniptions when the fuel light comes on in the car wink

Durbs drove on empty lots

Is it the Truth?

Page: ...