Forums > Social Discussion > Croc hunter Steve Irwin has died in an accident!

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Breaking news..

https://au.news.yahoo.com/060904/2/10ebw.html

https://au.news.yahoo.com/060904/23/10ebv.html

Steve Irwin killed in stingray attack

By 7News

Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin has been killed in a stingray attack near Cairns on Australia's far north coast.

It was believed Irwin had been swimming off the coast of Cairns when he was stung.

"It is understood he was killed by a sting-ray barb that went through his chest," Brisbane's Courier Mail reported this afternoon.

Irwin was best known for his documentary series "The Crocodile Hunter".

He was born in Victoria and found his love of animals after following in his father's footsteps, volunteering his services to the Queensland Government's East Coast Crocodile Management program.

He spent years living on his own in the mosquito infested creeks, rivers and mangroves of North Queensland, catching huge crocodiles single-handed.

In June 1992, he married American Terri Raines after they met when she visited Irwin's Australia Zoo.

The 44-year-old is survived by his wife and two children, Bindi and Robert.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
In case you don't realise, there is an msn tribute going on where people are putting a turtle (tu) at the beginning of their msn names.

Just in case some of you wanted to join it.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

DevilsarmyBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,984 posts

Posted:
i will frown

Actually back on HoP guys ...

Owned By MiG
Owns Fyre and Mods_Stole_My_Name

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I was shocked when I heard this on the radio as I was waking up I shot out of bed, I couldnt believe it.

RiP steve frown hug Thoughts are with his family

Such a shame really that he looked death in the face most days with the deadliest animals there are and yet he was struck down by a stingray which is a relatively placid animal and normally not fatal, supposedly the barbs went through his ribcage and actually pierced his heart, no way you could survive the toxins directly to his heart. Most other places he would have been fine, such a shame

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Doesn't the fact that a stingray is a relatively placid animal make you wonder what he was doing to provike it though?

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
 Written by: GothFrogette

Doesn't make the fact that a good man has died any less important or any easier for thoses who loved every thing about him and every thing that he stood for.

Hear hear.

Please, lets not turn this thread into a debate about Steve Irwin. Thats not why this thread was started. Start a new one if its really that important.

Love is the law.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
I am another Steve Irwin fan. Not only was he a great guy but he was funny as hell, "look at this angry little critter, Crikey he's biting my hands off, little wriggler!"
I loved him and I am still in shock. He's one of those people who I just thought was invincable.
My thoughts are with Terri as she faces life without her man by her side frown

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
So as someone who doesn't watch TV I don't feel in any way connected to him. I don't pretend I know anything about him at all or that I care much about his death.

Are all these posts only because you saw him on TV?

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
sym umm that's so not cool.

i never met steve irwin and have only seen him on t.v., in magazines and on the 'net shrug

most of the posts are quite patently not made simply because someone we saw on the telly has died.

this thread is about mourning the passing of a person who has made a significant contribution and did much good during his life.

posting that you don't know him and don't care that he's dead is a little insensitive imho frown

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
Well mine was. His TV personality was wikid, especially like lil comments Jo just mentioned, made me laugh so much ... "I wonder what will happen, if I poke this deadly snake, over and over again, with a stick??"...

His documentarys where always funny and informative... He was a massive Leg-end... frown

SunnySammySILVER Member
Watching the Sky
453 posts

Posted:
My thoughts do go to his family and will miss his enthusiasm to wildlife.

Although when hearing this i wasnt completly shocked, im a little suprised it didnt happen sooner. He did make alot of animals really go for him, but then again he was an expert and new how they'd attack so .............. i dunno.

Tis a real shame. He was a legend, well is a legend!

sunny
I jumped into the river, what did i see?
Black-eyed angels swam with me. wink

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
This one made me smile, sorry if you don't like:

Non-Https Image Link

Getting to the other side smile

pixiejesterGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
FurryTrees, that's a nice pic of him.

It's tragic, I loved watching him on TV, jumping around with the crocs, I found out this morning on the net, came as a shock to me. As the woman on the news said 'He died doing what he loved'

He will be missed, my thoughts are with his family.

RIP Crocodile Hunter Steve

edit - his bio https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Irwin

EDITED_BY: pixiejester (1157373054)

It could be worse - we could all have normal jobs.

If nobodies perfect, then I'm nobody.

KittyKillenthusiast
365 posts

Posted:
frown ubbcrying ubbcrying bummer

Have you ever notice that poi is spelled backwords on the key board.............................................creepycool

DevilsarmyBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,984 posts

Posted:
I know *hugs kittykill* we can cry to gether ubbcrying ubbcrying ubbcrying ubbcrying as sad as it sounds tv just wont be the same cause im used to sundays watchin a croc diaries or a live show.....it just wont be the same frown

Actually back on HoP guys ...

Owned By MiG
Owns Fyre and Mods_Stole_My_Name

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rouge Dragon

Doesn't the fact that a stingray is a relatively placid animal make you wonder what he was doing to provike it though?

A stingray is placid in that it will generally move away rather than attacking. But they are very reflexive.. if you come towards them from the front for instance they swing their tails up and use the barb...he may have been trying to film it, got too close from the wrong angle, one came up to him when he was focusing on another one...someone else startled it and it went for him....we just don't know yet.

Also about him making money etc... his Dad and then him would go and catch 'man eating' or other dangerous crocs to stop them being shot, long before anyone was interested in making him famous. I visited Australia Zoo decades ago, when it was small and funky, he was just as enthusiastic then!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ado-p

Please, lets not turn this thread into a debate about Steve Irwin. Thats not why this thread was started. Start a new one if its really that important.

What he said...

Please guys.
Let the negativity go.

R.I.P Steve.

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
ditto

RIP Steve Irwin

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

Sunnygirlmember
121 posts

Posted:
Farewell to one of the most inspiring, enthusiastic, genuine people to be put on the earth. My heart goes out to his loved ones at this tragic time xxxx

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
my sympatys to his family but in reality it was only a matter of time. the chances and risks he took where sometimes unbelievably stupid

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
ubbcrying

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
R.I.P. Steve - we miss you already. frown
... and you won't be forgotten for a long time.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
 Written by: coleman

most of the posts are quite patently not made simply because someone we saw on the telly has died.

Here, here, Coleman.

I never had the opportunity to meet Steve Irwin, being rather rooted quite firmly in America and barely able to afford plane tickets to hop up and down the east coast let alone take a trip to Austrailia. However, I often enjoyed watching his documentaries. The show specifically about the Austrailia Zoo was my favorite because you were able to watch him interect with far less dangerous animals and see just how tender he could be. I loved watching Steve with the birds. Having handled macaws, mini macaws, amazons, parrots, parrotlets and conures, I often enjoyed watch someone take such tenderness and such great care with their birds.

Steve Irwin's work in conservation really turned me on to the invasive species problem in the U.S. and really got me started working with the people through my last job to place unwanted pets and fish as opposed to having them be killed or wild released. We already had a policy of taking in any animal we sold, but we started to push that policy further and further. With help from my managers, we placed everything from sharks, to large predatory fish, to snakes, and lizards. We sort of stretched out corporate mission statement and store policy to the breaking point ("Pets come first."). I ended placing our one problem animal with myself (*we didn't have space at the time, and I fell in love with my ball python at first sight!)

Our greatest asset in placing animals was quite simply the fact that there were spokespersons for wildlife conservation like Steve Irwin. People like Irwin got people and children especially excited about conservation and about unusual animals. It made it easier to get kids and families excited about different animals that they might not have known about, about the proper care of their pets, and about responsible ownership of exotic animals. His work also made it easier when people came in with animals they removed from the wild illegally to help encourage them to place the animal in the care of an appropriate rescue center or return it to the wild (*every spring, I swear I'd see four or five small alligator snapping turtles a month).

He, and all of his many contributions to animal care, husbandry, and conservation, will be missed greatly, no matter how great or how small.

frown

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

JTSpinnerSILVER Member
Learnin About Burnin
385 posts

Posted:
If his family doesn't know yet, there is probably some reporter running up and down mountains trying to find her. frown frown frown

We all make choices in our life as to the direction we will take and what we will do in it. Steve chose his knowing full well the dangers and the hazards that were involved. I cannot believe that he took the risks and faced the dangers just to make a buck, but so that he could learn and others could learn from him. Does a soldier jump on a grenade because they MAY live and get a bright shiny medal?? Nope, they do it because they believe it is the right thing to do and so that others can go on living. Steve took the risks for me (especially the snakes, I do hate snakes!) and for anyone else who could not overcome a fear of an animal long enough to learn about it. soapbox

Anyway, so long mate and my best wishes to his family.

I may be crazy but I ain't stupid

Life is to short to waste it on stupidity

Loki_the_tricksterSILVER Member
Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
I'm speechless ubbcrying ubbcrying ubbcrying
Terrible......just terrible

My ADD makes it so that.....Ooooo SHINY.....wanna go ride bikes....wait....where am I.....

Loki_the_tricksterSILVER Member
Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
For those questioning what he did to get stung......

Written by: aap article

Wildlife experts said the normally passive creatures only sting in defence, striking with a bayonet-like barb when they feel threatened.

Marine documentary maker Ben Cropp, who spoke to one of Mr Irwin's crew, said: "Steve got probably maybe a bit too close to the ray, and with the cameraman in front, the ray must have felt sort of cornered.

"It went into a defensive mode, stopped, turned around and lashed out with its tail, which has a considerable spike on it.

"Unfortunately Steve was directly in its path and he took a fatal wound."

That was in Ry's first link in the opening post of this thread

My ADD makes it so that.....Ooooo SHINY.....wanna go ride bikes....wait....where am I.....

Gremlin_Loumember
131 posts

Posted:
*cries*

Very sad, a great man for Australia and animal welfare all over the world. frown

'If your deeds shouldn't be known, perhaps they shouldn't be done, if your words shouldn't be shared, perhaps they shouldn't be spoken. Act with attention, for all your acts have consequences" (Rabbi Judah HaNassi)

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
Too, too sad, people.

Me and the kids always enjoyed his antics and were staunch supporters when he was critisized over having his son in with the crocs. When you live a certain lifestyle, that tends to be the way you raise your kids. I always said he should have told everyone to mind their own and let him mind his.

As far as the temperament of rays goes, they are usually quite docile but, every creature can have a bad f*****g day. A good dog will bite if you p*** him off! (Sorry for the potty mouth)

Namaste, Steve...and Crikey! what a life!

beerchug
Here's to ya,

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

LaihiaSILVER Member
162 posts

Posted:
When I heard it this morning I couldn't believe it... I had never expected this...

On another forum someone said that this was probably the best way for him to die, while doing what he loved. That this was better than when he had died in a old people's home, quietly sitting in a corner.
Don't know whether I should agree with that or not, but fact is he died to early...

R.I.P Steve
frown

Sunshine or rain, it's not anymore the same...

nonenonenoneSILVER Member
129 posts

Posted:
RIP steve!
my thoughts are with his family now, i can't imagine what they must be going through!
he had a larger than life character and im sure he will be missed by many!
and yes, many people posting on here, or commenting in any other way may have only seen him on TV, but you dont need to meet someone or have anything to do with them to respect them, and for them to be an inspiration to you and many others. whether he was just someone off the TV or more, he will be missed!

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
Think I'd much rather die doing somthing I love than sitting in a corner in an old folks home.
No, I take that back, I know I would.

To each his own. *Don't you agree, Steve.*
meditate

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

Page: ...