Forums > Social Discussion > Croc hunter Steve Irwin has died in an accident!

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Breaking news..

https://au.news.yahoo.com/060904/2/10ebw.html

https://au.news.yahoo.com/060904/23/10ebv.html

Steve Irwin killed in stingray attack

By 7News

Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin has been killed in a stingray attack near Cairns on Australia's far north coast.

It was believed Irwin had been swimming off the coast of Cairns when he was stung.

"It is understood he was killed by a sting-ray barb that went through his chest," Brisbane's Courier Mail reported this afternoon.

Irwin was best known for his documentary series "The Crocodile Hunter".

He was born in Victoria and found his love of animals after following in his father's footsteps, volunteering his services to the Queensland Government's East Coast Crocodile Management program.

He spent years living on his own in the mosquito infested creeks, rivers and mangroves of North Queensland, catching huge crocodiles single-handed.

In June 1992, he married American Terri Raines after they met when she visited Irwin's Australia Zoo.

The 44-year-old is survived by his wife and two children, Bindi and Robert.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Just heard about this. Crikey! frown

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
https://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,20349892-952,00.html

Tragic loss of Aussie iconNeale Maynard ONLINE NEWS EDITOR
September 04, 2006 02:28pm

HE dealt daily with all manner of dangerous creatures ... giant crocodiles, poisonous snakes, komodo dragons ... but it was a less obvious hazard that claimed the life of Steve Irwin.

Irwin had taken calculated risks with all sorts of wildlife for decades, relying on his knowledge of animal behaviour and personal experience to beat the odds.
For someone who spent so much time around killer animals, Irwin seemed to leave a charmed life.

So his demise was all the more shocking because it apparently involved a stingray, an animal regarded as dangerous but not as a killer.

It is understood that Irwin was swimming off the Low Isles off Port Douglas filming a documentary, a task Irwin has carried out on countless occasions.

Yet this time, Irwin, ever so careful around danger, was taken unawares when, apparently, a sting ray he was filming struck out with its tail, the venomous barbs fatally embedding in his chest.

The death brought to an end a career that began with his father's Sunshine Coast theme park and developed into an international empire in which Irwinwas a globally recognised brand.

Working with his American-born wife Terri, and later, children his Bindi and Bob, the Irwin phenomenon continued to grow.

He was as recognised in the USA as he was here, and was one of the best-known Australians on the planet.

Irwin's catchcry "Crikey!" also became famous as he came face to fang with animals across the globe, the knockabout Australian in khakis delighting audiences in how he survived encounter after encounter.

Irwin's fame was legendary - one story related to staff at a US studio headquarters who had become completely blase about stars in their presence - until Irwin turned up.
Then, the story went, whole floors of the building emptied as the staff headed for Irwin to shake his hand and get his autograph.

The high profile also brought with it some downsides - Irwin was astonished and hurt when he was criticised for taking his baby son Bob into a crocodile enclosure during one of his shows. The incident, which captured worldwide headlines, led to a slight dulling of Irwin's star but his popularity recovered. Irwin's face was important to Australian tourism and his image was used by the Australian Quarantine Inspection Service to stress the importance of protecting Australia.

He also campaigned to protect crocodiles, the creature that made him legendary, after the Northern Territory government proposed a resumption of croc hunting in the top end.

wonderloeyenthusiast
255 posts

Posted:
Crikey...
I can't even read up on it because everyone at work is trying to get info atm..

I don't think that we will ever see that much enthusiasm combined with that much naivety in a very long time.

"You've gone from Loey the Wonder Lesbian to everyone wondering if you are a lesbian." - Shadowman

Yesterday is yesterday. If we try to recapture it, we will only lose tomorrow.

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
https://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,20349541-5001021,00.html
Steve Irwin killed by stingray

September 04, 2006 12:00

THE Crocodile Man, Steve Irwin, is dead. He was killed in a freak accident in Cairns, police sources said.

It is understood he was killed by a sting-ray barb that went through his chest.

He was 44.

He was swimming off the Low Isles at Port Douglas filming an underwater documentary when the incident happened.

Ambulance officers confirmed they attended a reef fatality this morning at Batt Reef off Port Douglas.

It is understood Mr Irwin was killed around midday, Eastern Australian time.

Irwin leaves his wife Terri and young children Bob and and Bindi.

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200609/s1732439.htm

Steve Irwin dead
The naturalist and television star Steve Irwin has died in a diving accident in far north Queensland. He was 44.

Police say he was stung through the heart by a stingray while diving off Port Douglas.

He was filming a documentary when the accident occurred around midday AEST near the Low Isles.

A helicopter arrived with paramedics on board to try to resuscitate him, but it was too late.

Irwin, who was was born in Victoria in 1962, inherited his love of reptiles from his father.

His father Bob was a keen reptile enthusiast and moved the family to Queensland in 1970 to open a small reptile park on the Sunshine Coast.

Irwin took over the family business in 1991 and grew it into Australia Zoo.

In 1992 he ventured into television, making the first series of the Crocodile Hunter.

When the program aired in the United States, he shot to international fame.

Irwin is survived by his wife Terri and two children.

Nature lover

In 2003, he spoke to the ABC's Australian Story about how he was perceived in his country.

"When I see what's happened all over the world, they're looking at me as this very popular, wildlife warrior Australian bloke," he said.

"And yet back here in my own country, some people find me a little bit embarrassing.

"You know, there's this... they kind of cringe, you know, 'cause I'm coming out with 'Crikey' and 'Look at this beauty'.

"Just say what you're gonna say, mate. You know, is it a cultural cringe? Is it, they actually see a little bit of themselves when they see me, and they find that a little embarrassing?

"I'm fair dinkum, like kangaroos and Land Cruisers, winged keels and bloody flies! I think we've lost all that. I think we've all become very, sort of, money people."

He also spoke of his love for surfing.

"You get out there, it's just you against the waves.

"There's no paparazzi, there's no fan base, and it gives me a chance to recuperate and regenerate.

"I think I've actually got animals so genetically inside me that there's no way I could actually be anything else.

"I think my path would have always gone back to or delivered me to wildlife. I think wildlife is just like a magnet, and it's something that I can't help."

GitasGuyPooh-Bah
2,303 posts

Posted:
Crikey!!! it didn't take long to appear as a Forum!!! eek

:admires giant wooden aeroplane: Its about time trees were good for something, instead of just standing their like jerks!!! ubblol ubbtickled

Homer rocks!!!! ubblol ubbrollsmile

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
crikey indeed... and it doesn't seem to be as a result of a stunt of any sort either..

ezzBRONZE Member
moo..
1,899 posts

Posted:
"It is believed Mr Irwin's American-born wife Terri is trekking on Cradle Mountain in Tasmania and has yet to be told of her husband's death. "
https://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,20349890-5005961,00.html

um..ouch!

hug me!

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I heared that it was on the news before his family knew....that's not good.

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
I feel for his family and going like this will leave him as legendery status.
He was a larger than life character.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
ok just woke up to this news this morning. My thoughts and wishes to his family he was a great guy and did more than alot of good.
My youngest son has not stopped crying since hearing the news, Steve was his hero and will me sadly missed.

in my sons words "he stopped lots of nasty people hurting the aminals and more people should do it now. Mum do you think he will come back as a crock?"

frown frown frown frown frown hug frown

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
RIP, Steve frown

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
Sad news indeed!

frown

They guy was a legend, I'm sure he'll not be forgotten in a hurry.

He did a lot of good work both in helping animals and raising people's awareness of wildlife.

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
frown

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Suppose you could take some consolation that he died doing what he loved. He knew the risks and was prepared to accept the consequences without question (so that we wouldn't have to).

Then again, no consolation to a greiving widow and son...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
frown

Gutted, the guy was a legend

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Pen DravenUnofficial Lord Of Confusion And Pirate Extrodinaire
1,363 posts

Posted:
frown yeah,, lifes going to be a bit duller and today just got infinitely sadder frown

Some men see things and say why....

I Dream of things that never were and say Why Not....?

Oh No I'm going to get Shot Alive if he finds out - DA wink

AurinkoBRONZE Member
hello!
1,034 posts

Posted:
frown he really saved my boring Sundays in my last job.

But on the other hand, it was an appropriate way of dying for him.

a swapped test-playboy, set free by NOn, idolizing the tea fairy; Dragosani spiritual freedom agreement reached 18th Sept 2006

DevilsarmyBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,984 posts

Posted:
omg ubbcrying but steve was like the best ever i agree with morgan ubbcrying guess the weather suits the moods of many dull upset and life will never be the same i hope they do a tribute of his best work in a programme to see all of his good work as he was a great guy and will be terribly missed ubbcrying frown

Actually back on HoP guys ...

Owned By MiG
Owns Fyre and Mods_Stole_My_Name

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Yep, we're all so sad here, in tears watching shots of him with his family: he was such a great guy...he knew who he was, what was important. He was unashamedly enthusiastic about life, his work, and most most most of all, his kids.
The shot of his face looking at his children said it all...

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

wonderloeyenthusiast
255 posts

Posted:
Oh dear...

Am I going to be the party pooper here?

Steve Irwin's death was a tragedy. He was a fairly blameless man who had an amazing enthusiasm for animals, and was truly fascinated and knowledgeable about them.

However, I don't want to get carried away. Steve Irwin made millions of dollars from Australia Zoo. The name of it would lead you to believe that there's no other zoological gardens or wildlife sanctuaries in Australia. His establishment is little more than a tourist trap. My sister had the fortune to go to Australia Zoo last year, and found it little more than an arena where crocodiles and other animals are effectively performing for an audience.

His work, while certainly educating millions on different kinds of wildlife, is hardly saintworthy.

While Steve Irwin had an irrepressible love of animals and in particular, Australian animals, I am a little wary of overstating his contribution to our fauna.

When there are so many sanctuaries and zoos in Australia that do so much good without the glitz and slickness that The Crocodile Hunter/Australia Zoo have. Wildlife educators such as David Attenborough have far more value than the slick packaging of the Crocodile Hunter ever could. I have been flicking through the Wikipedia entry of Fauna of Australia, and just looking at some of the beautiful animals that live in Australia that aren't the big, impressive, scary kind, but the small, interesting and intriguing variety.

Essentially, Steve Irwin, intentionally or not, cashed in on Australia's wildlife, has made millions from the experience, and I'm not sure he's given back what he's gotten.

That being said, I'm open to persuasion. I've got some serious misgivings, but I'm not out to attack a very likable, and now tragically dead, man.

"You've gone from Loey the Wonder Lesbian to everyone wondering if you are a lesbian." - Shadowman

Yesterday is yesterday. If we try to recapture it, we will only lose tomorrow.

artindorilmember
117 posts

Posted:
I feel sorry for his family, but (and I know it sounds harsh) I'm supprised that it didn't happen sooner to be honest. The way he diced with danger it was really only a matter of time before some animal got the better of him (but I never thought it would be a stingray, thought it was more likely to be a snake or a croc really).

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
yeah i'm joining the rain on this parade.

while i acknowledge that he has a family behind, he had it coming.

He used to poke crocs, spiders and snakes just to make them angry cos it was entertaining to do so!

You play with fire, you get burnt.
we're spinners. we know that.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hmmm...

I think that's a bit harsh.

As far as I remember from visiting the place, Australia Zoo was a sanctuary started by Steve's father, and because of his character and personality he made millions - which he reinvested into the zoo.

When I was there it was undergoing huge redevelopments for the injured animals that they take in and I remember them running really ambitious conservation campaigns. It seemed fairly obvious that everyone who was working in the park loved animals shrug

I'm sure Steve made a fair bit for himself, but why not? - he was a phenomenon around the world, not just in his home country.

He brought global attention to Australia and it's wildlife...

Anyways, this is really sad news... it's the loss of a husband, father and son, and someone who made a difference in his world.

frown

Getting to the other side smile

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
ditto

irwin was a massive proponent of real conservation - the world and those that reside upon it have lost a great ally today.

my thoughts are with his family frown

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
RIP Steve. frown

Love is the law.

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
I really hope that isn't true about his wife and family not knowing.

What a horrid way to die, poor bloke frown

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
wonderloey i think you need to do some more research on what Steve has actually done for conservation and awearness, and where his money went to. He was not in it for the money ever and carried on the fantastic work that his father started. The animals were steves first priority not the tourists.

he died doing what he did best and has inspired millions, i am suprised it wasn't a crock and you can say he had it coming till the cows come home. Doesn't make the fact that a good man has died any less important or any easier for thoses who loved every thing about him and every thing that he stood for.

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

DevilsarmyBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,984 posts

Posted:
amen to froggy frown i watched it this morning and toby burst into tears so i joined him ..... its is a very sad moment when a hero of many people...not me personnally but like if you dont mind me saying froggy morgan lost someone they thought the world of and i know this sounds abit wrong but im kinda glad he died doing something he lived to do shows great dedication to what he loved RIP Steve xxx

Actually back on HoP guys ...

Owned By MiG
Owns Fyre and Mods_Stole_My_Name

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
frown

*sulk*

frown

Page: ...