Forums > Social Discussion > Croc hunter Steve Irwin has died in an accident!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Breaking news..

https://au.news.yahoo.com/060904/2/10ebw.html

https://au.news.yahoo.com/060904/23/10ebv.html

Steve Irwin killed in stingray attack

By 7News

Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin has been killed in a stingray attack near Cairns on Australia's far north coast.

It was believed Irwin had been swimming off the coast of Cairns when he was stung.

"It is understood he was killed by a sting-ray barb that went through his chest," Brisbane's Courier Mail reported this afternoon.

Irwin was best known for his documentary series "The Crocodile Hunter".

He was born in Victoria and found his love of animals after following in his father's footsteps, volunteering his services to the Queensland Government's East Coast Crocodile Management program.

He spent years living on his own in the mosquito infested creeks, rivers and mangroves of North Queensland, catching huge crocodiles single-handed.

In June 1992, he married American Terri Raines after they met when she visited Irwin's Australia Zoo.

The 44-year-old is survived by his wife and two children, Bindi and Robert.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireTom

Written by: Valura

Written by: oli

you cant help but laugh really, obviuosly when any good person dies its not a good thing and its a sad situation (rip and all that ), but when i heard that steve irwin died by stingray i did crack up from the inside, it is almost too funny to be real, i hope that other people, can appreciate or come to appreciate the humor of this tragedy. i hope wherever steve is now he is having a good giggle too hug

eek eek eek

You are kidding.

Its not funny at ALL Oli. All I can think of is what if his wife or child read some of these comments?

Valura, some have a differing views on death. It's a tragic event and even more tragic for the family he leaves behind. But it has some irony in it, wouldn't you agree?

Creates more of a legend, than the headline he died in one of these events. I think it was a good way for him to go, he didn't have to suffer long and he died whilst doing what he liked to do most.

When looking at it in a few years time, I'm almost certain that even his wife will find compassion for some of these comments...

Irony perhaps. I dont find the urge to laugh out loud about it, and then post on a forum that I giggled when someone died. I think that is disrepectful and cold.

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Stuff legend. He was only 44, with 2 young kids, enormous knowledge and skill and decades of potential contribution to make. It is not 'good' he died doing this, it is a terrible loss to his wife, our local community and the whole world.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ravehead

my sympatys to his family but in reality it was only a matter of time. the chances and risks he took where sometimes unbelievably stupid

Meh, he'd probably say that it was worth it.

spudmonkeyGOLD Member
55 posts

Posted:
i fail to see how this was a loss to the whole world. he didnt in rich my life and im sure there are plenty of other things completely unaffected by his unfortunate passing.im sure lots of crocodiles will miss him though
EDITED_BY: spudmonkey (1157566811)

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Valura - We're laughing, but not in a "haha your dead" way. I don't think any of us are cruel enough to do that.

I'm a care assistant in a nursing home.

I've gone to work in the morning, to find a relitivly healthy client for her age had died during the night.

The night shift staff, and the morning girls sat around a table doing hand over and laughing, not crying, but laughing.

She was such a charectar! Always said that the pressure sores, or the ulcerated leg, or the arthritis would be the end of her one day. Whenever she saw a illness on the tele, she always joked that it would 'just her luck' to get it. She was always going to die from this disease or that illness or that ailment.

But she always fought it off. Never made a fuss. Just...fought.

She died peacefully in a sleep.

We sat at that table remembering all the happy momants she had given us all.

And the smiles and the giggles all came from that. From her!

When your gorgeous little Taj was born, that exact same momant, somewhere in the world, somebodies heart stopped beating.

Death is a part of life. And I hate the stigma that is around it.

Some people, and I'm assuming yourself may find me quite cold. But we all have our time on this earth, and when its time to go, its time to go.

We can only be thankful that we all are still alive on this earth and may enjoy what has been given to us, whilst remembering the dead and giving thanks to them for what they gave to us.
EDITED_BY: Aimée (1157571884)

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Sym

So as someone who doesn't watch TV I don't feel in any way connected to him. I don't pretend I know anything about him at all or that I care much about his death.

Are all these posts only because you saw him on TV?

I think thats a good point actually.

I never knew him, I never met him, I might have seen him on television (and turned it over because he got on my nerves) but he was a stranger to me. So I dont feel personally affected, and I dont feel the need to mourn or feel any sense of loss over what happend.

Ive allways felt its quite disrespectful to interfear at these times. Its not right to make the moment about you, and to take that away from the deceaseds familly and loved ones. Its a little too Intrusive

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I feel for Steve's family I really do, he did good things and i'm sad he is gone as he was a great entertainer, but in no disrespectful way I didn't know him personally so I have to quote Bart Simpson

"I have such respect for you puting your life on the line even though you're the sole provider for a family of 5"

Ok, he didn't have 4 kids but I really hope he had enough put away for his family as I'll bet no one would have given him life insurance. It's always a shame when someone dies but you have to admit he must have loved what he did and he must have been aware of the constant dangers he was puting himself into.

When someone famous dies it reminds me that those close to me are not immortal and I should cherish them all the more. So that's what I'll do.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

LMSPBRONZE Member
veteran
1,588 posts

Posted:
ditto

I feel more conneced to the tragic and un-timely death of a fellow hopper than a TV personality.

YES he was a legend, loving husband, devoted father, etc but, I felt no different when I heard princess Diana died (OK I was a LOT younger) or whilst waching the second building that compleated the duo of the twin towers, demolished by a plane!

S**t happens, Life is a gift, don't waste it quarreling weather or not it is a tragedy someone passed early, or, if it should matter!

ALL life matters! It is up to you how you want to remember the "passed" without forcing your impressions on others who do not share your veiws.

Too many good men have died in wars so we can have the freedome of speech!

In my opoinion, telling people "It's wrong for you to feel like that! For shame!" Is kicking those who ended their future, to secure ours, in the nuts, whilst their down.

Pitty for his family, yes,

Should people quarrel over his passing? No F*****G WAY! Grow up and appreciate others veiws on the situation!

hug Peace and ubblove to every Bloody one!

EDITED_BY: LMSP (1157587958)

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Aimee I was not directing my comments at you at all. It was more towards how oli was so flippant and said how funny it was. I dont see humor in his death at all. Or any death for that matter.
Your example is nice. The lady you cared for had a good life and was a tough lil battler. Thats great that you were so close and could share smiles about her life. But if someone was blase about the situation and had said it was almost too funny to be true and that they were giggling on the inside, Im sure you would feel a pang of WTF. Im not claiming to have had some kind of close connection with Steve Irwan, but I do feel that some respect for him and the family is a good thing right now.

And LMSP? Not once did I see anyone fighting over this. No one has "forced" anything on anyone else. It was simply stated that some peoples words in this thread seem inappropriate and cold at a time when people are really feeling the shock of this death.
I wont appreciate a view that I dont agree with, espically when its being demanded of me.

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

LMSPBRONZE Member
veteran
1,588 posts

Posted:
My previous post was NOT directed at ANY specific person and I would appreciate it to be taken as such!

Like I said, Freedome of speech/opinion!

You are entitled to your opinion my dear as we are all entitled to our own.

I do feel sorry for you if you feel any comments made here, make you feel as if you are being "forced" to veiw an opinion you do not agree with.

YOU are entitled to YOUR OWN veiw on every situation and, I am sure, everyone respects your point of veiw. (Or a point of veiw that is not their own)

It was NOT my intntion to make you feel I was speaking direcly to you Valura, or, infact, to ANYONE! I have been given a new perspective on life as I have a benighn (pelling rolleyes) tumour in my left breast at 22 and feel lucky as hell to be here to raise my 3 yr old son!

EDITED_BY: LMSP (1157594956)

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
How did the death of a respected, well-known and obviously well-loved personality become a subject of almost political-level debate?

I honour him as a part of the infinity of creation, and a worthy one at that. He went through life with purpose and determination, respect and humour. Millions of the inhabitants of this Earth (human and animal alike) have lost a valuable
advocate.

Amy, you are indeed lucky. I had cancer at 32 and thought I was going to have to leave my 2 children with no mother.
I'm 40 and a survivor but, staring the fact of your own mortality in the face tends to make you re-think your whole life. Unfortunately, I lost my ability to ever have more children but, I'm thankful to still be here.

The gods smiled on me and let me go on with this lifetime.
It was just time for Steve to go.

Let's save the argumentative comments for a more appropriate
topic, say, perhaps whether the sky is blue or not?

Ia mania te miti

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

LMSPBRONZE Member
veteran
1,588 posts

Posted:
 Written by: fyrespirit

How did the death of a respected, well-known and obviously well-loved personality become a subject of almost political-level debate?

Ia mania te miti

Dunno what that last bit means but THAT IS just my point!

If you don't like what you read, take a dive and feel compassion for anothers veiw on the subject! Do not let a difference of opinion, cloud judgment on a more imporant subject!
A life was lost.

Mourn........

Reflect......

Commemorate..

DO NOT ACCUSE, hate or resent anothers veiws/oppinions!

Life is FAR TOO SHORT!

Live, love, spin! wink

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
Ia mania te miti.

A tahitian blessing that means- May the seas be calm.

I think this applies in more ways than one.

'Nuff said.

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
rolleyes LMSP your freedom of speech has not been compromised.

As I said, I stated that I felt the opinion was cold. But I dont need you to feel sorry for me. Thanks anyway. smile

I too have had a near death experince, and deal with death on a day to day basis, and because of that I have an empathic understanding of how shattering death can be for the ones left behind. The spirit of Steve is free now, and he has no more earthly cares or worries.

Anyway Steves wife Terri has refused a state funeral for Steve as he would want to be sent off as a "Normal Bloke"

I was really happy that the guy was offered such an honour, as he did so many great things for the wildlife.

Steves legacy is going to be realised in extending the wildlife hospital that he started to be the biggest in the world.

That makes me so happy. smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
LMSP

What are you shouting for?

Valura is entitled to tell Oli what she thinks and as far as i can see, she didnt attack anyone. And Oli is big enough to respond by himself.

You on the other hand are being agressive.

Have a little respect, this thread is/was for people who want share their feelings about a man who died.

More than one person asked early on that this not turn into a debate. Enough is enough.

It makes me sad that people like you will make their point regardless of how other people feel.

Love is the law.

LMSPBRONZE Member
veteran
1,588 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ado-p

LMSP

What are you shouting for?

Valura is entitled to tell Oli what she thinks and as far as i can see, she didnt attack anyone. And Oli is big enough to respond by himself.

You on the other hand are being agressive.

Have a little respect, this thread is/was for people who want share their feelings about a man who died.

More than one person asked early on that this not turn into a debate. Enough is enough.

It makes me sad that people like you will make their point regardless of how other people feel.

I was trying to highlight points, not be aggressive and shout. I said it before and I will say it again, I was not speaking directly to anyone and trying to explain that there are more respectful things to debate about.
But thank you for making me feel and look like an insensitive, aggressive person. I will take "my people" and no longer try and explain myself further. I do no see a reason to do so when it gets twisted around back on to me.

Valura, I respect your opinion as I am sure you respect mine. I know I do not ned to tell you again that I was not speaking direcly to you.
hug to all and not in an agressive way.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
sorry that i seem to have stired up this thread in a bad way, i was just expressing my honest opinion.

also sorry if anyone thinks it disrespectful (valura- possibly we have very different senses of humor by the way, death can be a very funny concept i reckon, and it is used like this in allot of fiction, when its okay to laugh because its not real...) , but i have allot of respect for steve irwin, i mean he is the one that everyone obviously cares and respects about enough to express some sort of opinion. it is definetly better that his death was not by car accident or cancer or million and 1 other things everyone else will eventually die from, i would not be laughing then.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
proclaiming that oli's honest and immediate reaction to the news of steve irwin's death was "disrespectful and cold" is what started this 'debate'.

this tribute thread was clearly not about discussing what the 'correct' way to react to shocking news is.

different people deal with death in very different ways - imo, there is no right or wrong way to mourn.

as for humour at times like these, i think bob irwin's comments might help some:

Written by: steve's dad

Steve knew the risks of the type of work he was doing and he wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

Both of us over the years had some very close shaves and we both approached it the same way in that we made jokes of it.

He certainly did die doing something he loved doing, and that's a lot better than getting hit by a bus...

i personally appreciated reading this news story - maybe some of you guys will too:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/msid-1964041,curpg-2.cms

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
Cole....the voice of reason... meditate

wink

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
The voice of reason, playing 'who started it?'

*sigh*

Love is the law.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
no, you're totally right aiden - there was no definite start to the debate over whether oli was entitled to react how he did rolleyes

i'm not 'playing' anything, i'm just trying to get some perspective but if you think i'm being out of order/apportioning blame/playing games, please pm me hug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I just dont want to see this debate perpetuated anymore cole. Does it matter who started it?

I aint jumping on you dude, your post was no more or less on topic than the last page or so...

But you aint getting no little serene icons for a comment that you know from experience is going to spark even more debate...

See, look, here we are debating it...

ubblol

Love is the law.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
*in best irwin voice*

crickey mate - this threads a beaut!

I mean its like ive picked up all you little fellas rammed my thumb up your arses and really pissed you off!

wink

Dont you just love the little fellas when they start debating.......

ubblol

ubbangel

RIP Steve, the daddy of getting in animals faces, regardless of danger - nuff respeckt biggrin

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubblol ubblol

Strugz- leg end!

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ado-p

I just dont want to see this debate perpetuated anymore cole.

stop then shrug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

The_Magnesium_Masterjourneyman
97 posts

Posted:
As soon as I heard about Steve and Teri Irwin in the early 90s I went up there to Beerwah to see them 1st hand. We walked about 5km from the train in 40 degree heat and were imediatly recognised as barking mad handelers of dangerous creatures by the staff, who all were quiet happy to discuss how much different snake and lizard bites hurt and the pros and cons of each type of injury. Unfortunately Steve wasnt there that day , but we spent about 15 -20 minutes talking to Terri while she was feeding an iguana sitting on her head. She is definitly a good person and would only be involved with Steve if he was also a decent person aswell. That was when it was still a small reptile park and you could get to talk 1 on 1 with the staff . I was out twirling the night this dreadfull news was on TV, but when I returned home and had to carefully catch a 8-9 cm huntsman spider (this was reported as 12 cm earlier, I estimated that based on it being the size of my hand, later I checked with a ruler, sorry if I put any of you poms off visiting, I know how much most of them hate big spiders) in a rag and remove it from my bedroom wall in such a way that not injuring it involved a greatly increased risk of it being able to run up my arn, down my sleeve and then bite me on the chest as it got caught under my shirt. While deciding to put myself in danger to avoid undue damage to the spider I definitly considered the fact that if Steve Irwin would have considered the spideres wellbeing and done the riskyer option , so should I.

What a dreadfull thing to hear about first thing at work the next day. Anyone who uses their wealth as a servant doing what is required in their role as a steward of the Earth , as opposed to most wealthy and famous stars who squander millions living wicked lives of greed, drugs and promiscuous sex, Is definitly someone we should all look up to as a role model. Such a person who can also pick up poisonouos snakes by the tale is a true heroe.

RIP to a great role model to me (also a crazy chaser of snakes, spinner of fire, and walker of hot coals -many even say they are suprised I have just made it to 30 )
EDITED_BY: The_Magnesium_Master (1158056057)

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
I'm personaly very upset about the death of a fellow naturalist, especially one as vivacious and colourful as Steve Irwin was. I never thought the death of a celebrity would affect me emotionaly, but Steve's larger-than-life personality gave him a place in my otherwise cynical heart. I always wanted to follow some of his footsteps (probably not the crocodile stuff though)

If people want to make some cracks about him or criticise that's their right, it would be hypocritical of me to say otherwise.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
crikey. That's how it's spelt. none of this bloody crickey stuff; that's just like cricket.

I know i'd rather die doing something i love than to rot away in a nursing home, or get hit by a car. I can't speak for anyone else, let alone Steve, but i can only guess that he would rather the same.

Jokes are always going to happen. Princess Di, Mother Teresa, Steve Irwin, The twin towers. Whether it's right or wrong, i can't say. But i'm not going to get up on a high horse and tell people they shouldn't repeat them. That being said, i'll not go making any of my own up, or passing on others.

His death is a great loss to many aspects of animal life, yet i can't say i feel a connection to him, and thus won't mourn his loss. I can't say i'll miss him, because i don't know that i will or not. Just that connection thing, i guess.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

What a guy . I hope he comes back as a crocodile

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
rofl... the taliban guy looks like a jewish rabi...

Page: