Forums > Social Chat > In the last few weeks...

Login/Join to Participate

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
In the last few weeks, I have.

Gotten to work at 5:15 every morning.
Left work no earlier than 5:00 every evening.
Delivered four babies and watched more than I count be delivered
Pondered where those lives will be in 25 years.
Seen three babies die.
Pondered where those lives might have been in 25 years.
Lost a patient to cancer.
Seen the depths of agony and the heights of exultation.
Assisted in over 10 C-sections.
Learned to cut, retract, and suture.
Stayed up 42 hours straight.
Been so tired my hair hurt.
Had almost no time to myself to pursue any of my interests or hobbies, read for pleasure, or even check my E-mail.

And realized that after all this that...

Yes, indeed, I want to be a doctor more than anything in the world.

And that's why I haven't been online much.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
Keep hanging in there Mike and you will soon have your dream of becoming a doctor become a reality.

Good Luck with everything!

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
i've gotten up at between 12pm and 2pm every day
watched tv
spun poi
eaten
gone online
gone to bed at 2am to 4am

mike, you've chosen the wrong type of course mate! switch to engineering whilst you still have a chance of a lie in before graduating!!!

BurningByronmember
340 posts

Posted:
Mike you are now the number 1 person in the world I am jealous of.

What you are doing now is what I hope beyond anything to be doing in 4 years time.

HOW TO FLY 101:
step 1. Throw your self at the ground.
step 2. Miss.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
flid, what type of engineering course are you doing! ive been in engo for 4 yrs and i seem to have missed out on that type of day!

mike, its a great moment, despite general exhaustion, when you know that something you have been working towards for sooooo long, is precisely where you want to be.

enjoy! but take care.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
That's awesome, Mike. I feel priviledged to be able to hear about this time of your life.

Flid - As an engineer, how often do you think you will be persoanlly thanked for doing your job on a daily basis?

How many families do you think the worlds top enginner will personally affect, help and make life easier for, as well as knowing them directly?

There are definitely pro's and cons to every vocation. But how often do you get to hear someone who KNOWS in their heart, they have chosen the exact right one, despite going through all the bad stuff too.

Besides, from what I know of Mike, he can go and do engineering AFTER graduating too.

He's a smart cookie...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
You are so beautiful Mike. Im so glad that these people that you are caring for have the luck of being looked after by such a dedicated and insightful person.
They must have angels directing them to the right place to be looked after.

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

falloutboySILVER Member
remember
433 posts

Posted:
That sounds awesome Mike! I've always thought that being a Doctor would be one of the hardest but easily the most rewarding jobs around. Good luck with it all!

Charles: "How many families do you think the worlds top enginner will personally affect, help and make life easier for" - I see what your point is, that doctors do have a very personal and direct effect on many people, but don't write-off engineers! Look at any object in the room you're currently sitting in, and it's more than likely that it was either designed (to some extent) by an engineer. When you turn on your computer, engineers just made your life easier, when you step into your car, put toast in the toaster, brush your teeth (toothpaste-chemical engineering), flick a lightswitch, etc. etc. etc. not to mention all those fancy machines Mike will be using to treat and help patients.
Anyway, just thought someone needed to make a stand on our behalf. We are everywhere, and We Shall Inheret The Earth (regardless of what Bender may say about the Geeks)

-As angels debate chance and fate-
i was riding through melbourne on a midget giraffe, things were peachy.

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
MIKE!!!
*runs up an' hugs ya*
You're amazing. So awesome being able to hear about you doing this stuff in your life. Congratulations on your accomplishments.

*hands ya candy*
Kinudin

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Congrats and hugs to you Mike Keep it up, I hope to be pursing my own dreams as fully one day...

Latexmember
55 posts

Posted:
Mike...

Keep it up. It takes a special type of person to do what you are doing - I know I could not do it. The first time had a baby die on me it would be the end of me emotionally.

And to those that knocked it. Remember it takes all types. Mike could not be doing what he is without the engineers, or even the people that get paid minimum wage to pull the cables for the phone lines and network cables he relies on to do his job (be nice to these people, they get nothing to make your job happen).

Where do you think heart stint surgery would be today without engineers? And, even with the engineers, we wouldn’t have them without doctors to perform the surgery, or the people with metallurgical expertise to make them.

We all have our place in the world.

I work in a medical school, and I could not do what the doctors do - but I can facilitate many things to help them do their job. Most of my job involves facilitating their sharing of knowledge. What if they could not learn and grow from each other?

Mike, if you ever are going to San Antonio let me know, I'll buy you a relaxing cup of tea.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
my props to the big man, that's a magnificent effort, mike mate! hang in there man! I used to go out with a doctor, and while she was intern, she realised that it was so stressful that every couple split up before internship was completed. So kudos to you for facing up to the pressure, dude!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Flower fairyBRONZE Member
98 posts

Posted:
Your sound like a wonderful and dedicated person and its good to know, in this world of war and selfishness that there are people who are passionate about bringing and maintaining life.

Im inspired!!

some people take a walk in the rain and others just get wet

Smiling is infectious. Please pass this on.

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Way to go Mike

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
a professor once mentioned that we engineers are the best patients that can be operated on.... because we completely understand and sympathise with the doctor after weve been put back together and sewn up - and theres a forgotten part left over

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

poipixiemember
53 posts

Posted:
wow! i must say i've never found the idea of being a doctor at all appealing, im not sure if i could handle the emotional rollercoaster... but it's SO amazing that it is so fulfilling for you and i think latex is completely right, it takes all kinds... if only everyone can find the career that makes them as happy (albeit stressed and buggered) as you are then the world would be one very happy place!

--*SaM*--

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Charles:
Besides, from what I know of Mike, he can go and do engineering AFTER graduating too.

He's a smart cookie...

Not smart enough to be an engineer. I'm skeered and afeared of math. Very skeered and afeared.

Allow me to add three experiences to the list:

Last night, I was
-vomited on
-urinated on
-defacated (shat) on

And not all at the same time. I had to change scrubs three times in four hours and shower once.

I still wouldn't give it up for the world.

[ 02. August 2003, 09:59: Message edited by: Lightning the Frazzled ]

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
respect. I am glad there are people like you in the world.

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.