• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Technical Discussion > Using a hydration bladder to refuel for fire breathing in an act.....?

Login/Join to Participate

CrimsonRaine
BRONZE Member since Sep 2012

CrimsonRaine

Fire Enthusiast

Total posts: 4
Posted:Has anyone ever thought about doing this before, tried it, or knows someone that tried it/uses it?

I'm putting together ideas for my new fire act and wanted a way of refuelling my mouth for fire breathing punctuations mid act, after the first mouthfull of fuel had been expelled.

It can take the tempo out of a performance; having to stop and take a mouthfull of fuel from a cup or a bottle, and I thought it would be pretty nifty to use a hydration bladder like the one below:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/platypus-hoser-1-hydration-bladder-p126450
br>
I use the Platypus bladders for snowboarding and festivals (for water, obviously wink ) and I totally trust them when they say that the seams are indestructible - so falls, drops and crushing the bladder doesn't cause leaks. Also the paraffin I use is safe to be stored in plastic.

The bite valve is ideal for making sure the fuel doesn't escape. Doubly so if the bladder is attached lower on the person than the bite valve ( like the small of your back).

So, any thoughts? Anyone have experience with this kind of gimmick in an act? Or even better, has anyone got an alternative solution?

Crimson Raine<br />

Delete Topic

willworkforfoodjnr
SILVER Member since Aug 2007

willworkforfoodjnr

Hunting robot foxes

Total posts: 1046
Posted:Yup, we use one for our shows. Works OK but it's obviously not ideal having a load of fuel attached to a performer so it is well covered and only worn for the minimum time required.

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

Delete

CrimsonRaine
BRONZE Member since Sep 2012

CrimsonRaine

Fire Enthusiast

Total posts: 4
Posted:Awesome, thanks Willwork smile

My plan is to clad the bladder in leather as it would fit with my outfits (think Mad-Max) and it's one of the least flammable materials out there!

I'm thinking of one song that will need the refueling gimmick, and it's at the start of my routine, so the bladder will be strapped on me for about 4 minutes maximum.

How do you guys wear them? If you don't mind me asking.....?

I was thinking about using velcro to make straps into a thigh holster style unit.

Crimson Raine<br />

Delete

liquidtrance

liquidtrance

i dream in circles...

Total posts: 336
Posted:metallica- fuel. always goes down well smile

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

Delete

willworkforfoodjnr
SILVER Member since Aug 2007

willworkforfoodjnr

Hunting robot foxes

Total posts: 1046
Posted:We use the normal rucsack for it, modded to look good and with a good layer of denim-type stuff on the back. We've reinforced the connection of the tube to the camelback too (YAY for electrical tape!).

Works great in poi routines!

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

Delete