adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
I really want to know what this is called. Awhile back I was at a rave and saw a man dancing with long strips of fabric. He was doing jumps and twists, while throwing the fabric into the air and catching it. It was pretty interesting to watch. I've tried googling but all I get are sites about scarf juggling or belly dance veils. I don't think they were either of those, but correct me if I'm wrong. The fabric looked fairly heavy, enough to throw and catch without it flying off somewhere.

Question everything.

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure if this helps but the fabrics looked like rugs. Not overly thick rugs though (think the flying carpet from Aladdin). Or perhaps extremely large scarves to the point where they could not possibly be used as a scarf. I hope the visual helps. I'm so curious about this.

Question everything.

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Flagging?

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
I don't think it was flagging. Unless there is a form of it with no handles and the fabric is larger. It looked like he was basically dancing with rectangular rugs and doing throws and catches with them. He was dressed in a middle eastern costume though that probably has nothing to do with it. XD Are there contact flags? That would pretty much be it I suppose.

Question everything.

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
I've never seen a contact flag, but I have seen decent sized flags with no handles, you just bunch up some of the fabric in your hand. Also, as far as I know, most flags are weighted in one corner so they spin right, so maybe he figured out throws with them. *shrug*

Chris_Lu1DIAMOND Member
Flow Artist
67 posts

Posted:
It sounds like ribbon dance to me. A variant on ribbon twirling but with a bar, sometimes a ball attached to one end so that it keeps its path. I've only seen it as part of magic and color guard performances, so it might help you to start there.

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
Thanks. I'll be sure to check that out. Do you have any idea where to buy this stuff? I could always make my own, but it'd be nice to have some sort of design to build off of.

Question everything.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Have a look at bernadettes foot juggling. She does it with square. I think you weight the edges

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
There is a different kind of flag spinning which as you said uses a really big square flag with no handles.

check it out
https://www.dube.com/flag/?gclid=CMainaC_oKsCFQtU4godCiwajw

often called flaging

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />